maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Call volume dropping (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=42227)

danielz000 2010-01-26 00:17

Call volume dropping

Has anyone noticed the volume of their n900 dropping to an almost inaudible level during calls?

While making a call mine seems to drop and then coming back randomly, it's almost as if the speaker is cutting out...

It doesn't seem to do this when using ear phones, the loud speaker or a headset.

I'm thinking I might have a faulty speaker but the phone is only 1 month old! :(

ewagner 2010-01-26 01:00

Re: Call volume dropping

This same thing was happening to me about a month ago. I havent experianced it since. I did nothing at all to solve the problem it just went away. I hope it does the same for you.

danielz000 2010-01-26 01:03

Cheers buddy... I may book it into the service centre for a new speaker just in case... Until then I guess I'll just keep testing it and see what happens.

danielz000 2010-01-26 01:06

Just saw this thread... Sounds like the same problem

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41646

airjordan17 2010-01-26 01:09

I think this is happening to me as well. Sometimes I notice it if I take the phone away from my ear for a moment to glance at the screen, then put it back, I hear the other person very faintly. At first I thought it might just be how I was positioning the phone against my ear, because after adjusting it for a few seconds, I could hear the person loud and clear again. But it happens often enough that I suspect something might actually be going on with the hardware. I'll see if I can test this more methodically somehow.

danielz000 2010-01-26 01:58

cheers dude. i noticed moving it away from my ear had an affect on the problem. let me know how your testing goes. i'll try the same tomorrow.

danielz000 2010-01-26 17:15

Just an update, but I'm almost certain the volume only drops once conversation has started (i.e. it doesn't drop until after the receiving end has answered the call and the ringing has stopped).

Has anyone else noticed that?

mele 2010-01-26 17:48

same here... during calls volume drops annoyingly down.

danielz000 2010-01-26 17:49

Thanks Buddy! The more people that are agreeing! The less worried I am about the issue.

Can anyone remember if the issue was present before the recent .51 update?

lostinmirkwood 2010-01-26 17:58

I also am experiencing this with the .51.

I've re-flashed the device twice (for some of my own development that went awry) and continue to have this audio drop. It also seems that the volume rocker switch directionality was changed in .51 to be more consistent between landscape and portrait.

but I still find myself checking the volume constantly during a call to see if I have set the audio to mute.

tuxfoo 2010-01-26 19:33

Also discussed in this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37590

The problem definitely existed prior to the .51 update. Seems like there are enough people between a few threads to suggest this isn't just some fluke problem. It might be helpful to get a consolidated list of maemo.org users who are experiencing the problem and see if we can get nokia to respond.

waterandcoffee 2010-01-26 20:00

I have the same problem. Have had to resort to keeping earphones in and speaking into the phone from a distance. Really annoying.

danielz000 2010-01-26 20:05

its very strange that mine has only started to happen recently (at least i think).

I posted a message on the Nokia discussions board, not sure if I'll get a response.

Someone suggested a March fix, which sounds like an awful long time away for such a server problem.

It's probably worth any one with the problem registering on https://bugs.maemo.org/ and voting for https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6063 I suspect that the more votes an issue has the more likely they are to look at it...

waterandcoffee 2010-01-27 14:51

I should add that I was experiencing this problem well before installing any software updates.

Cartoon_Head 2010-01-27 14:56

HI all, i have this same problem, did a reflash of my phone to see if that would fix it but nothing :(

Hope this is fixed soon, i did plan on using my n900 as a phone!

CH

Crotch 2010-01-27 15:07

My volume just goes to the speaker off mode. I thought it was a bug because it happened every time i wanted to raise the volume.

However, I've noticed that the volume "button" is really upside down when I'm in phone mode. So, when trying to raise the volume, I pressed the upper key, which actually is the volume-down-button when in landscape mode :)

This "bug" have bugged me for weeks.

danielz000 2010-01-27 15:24

I just tested my volume, it's the right way up, unfortunately the phone upside down. Just kidding!

I think that was a separate bug/feature though Crotch, sounds like bug 5897, something to do with the volume button and the orientation of the phone.

When this bug occurs, the volume can be on full but the speaker outputs (almost) no sound, also, it appears to switch by itself, rather than after some sort of user input.

Jaffa 2010-01-27 23:17

I had an issue with my pre-production device where the volume was regularly dropping, during a call, to practically inaudible levels. Pressing the volume up key (in the right direction) had no effect.

It got so bad that the device was unusable as a phone so, asking if this was a known software problem (and being told "no"), I got it replaced.

tyl3r 2010-01-28 00:40

Exactly same symptom here. Thought it was my rubbery case covering up the hole. Been running without case for 2 days and still same problem. Problem seems localised to internal speaker as it does not exhibit the fault when connected via bluetooth to car. Cannot comment on software level etc. as got to know the device and updated 42 to 44 and then 51 long before transfering SIM and using the phone features.

danielz000 2010-01-28 01:06

Ae you still getting the problem after receiving the replacement Jaffa?

Untouchab1e 2010-01-28 08:33

Exactly the same problem here.. I cant remember it happening before the update though :/

Jaffa 2010-01-28 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielz000 (Post 498662)
Ae you still getting the problem after receiving the replacement Jaffa?

Nope, new one seems fine. My pre-production device went through various 1.2009.3x firmwares, 1.2009.42-11 and 2.2009.51-1. I noticed the call quality at some point in the past few months (i.e. before 2.2009.51-1) - IOW, the fact that reflashing/OS version seems independent means I reckon it's a hardware defect.

bonerp 2010-01-28 13:19

i thought it was me placing finger on volume control and doing it inadvertantly!!!

ddwwf1 2010-01-28 13:34

i also suffer from this problem but more so when recieving a call i try adjusting the volume to no affect moving the phone from ear and back again makes the volume yoy for a few seconds its really anoying hope there is a fix for this at some point soon oh and i didnt notice it prior to last FW update

God 2010-01-28 13:40

Could it be a problem with the proximity sensor? Seeing as it always happens when you take it away from your ear...

danielz000 2010-01-28 13:41

Jaffa, that's interesting! Are you on .51 now?

What I thought was strange was that the problem never occured while the phone was ringing, only during conversation. That led me to believe it was a FW issue rather than HW. Right now, I'm totally split on what I think though.

I'll try and call Nokia directly and see what they have to say. The 6063 Maemo bug is still listed as low priority and still unassigned which doesn't help much.

Edit: I sent Nokia an email enquiring about the issue. I doubt I'll hear back from them so will try and call them when I get home from work. If anyone in the UK feels like doing it now the number appears to be 0845 0455555

llacii 2010-01-28 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Untouchab1e (Post 499010)
Exactly the same problem here.. I cant remember it happening before the update though :/

Same thing with mine as well, and I also don't recall it happening before the recent firmware update.

danielz000 2010-01-28 14:07

That thought crossed my mind God

tyl3r 2010-01-28 17:15

At the risk of jumping on a bandwagon... I'm tempted to throw weight behind the proximity sensor as I've done 3 x 10min calls (roughly) and kept the phone incredibly still and close to my head. The first call was "clicky" but that could have been the other end. Generally, all 3 calls were *much* better than I have become used to. However, towards the end of the third, I pressed the device harder to my ear and WHAM! (or actually, the opposite wham) it went quiet. Moved device back to normal position and call volume came back.

Is the proximity sensor progressive? I'd always assumed it was an on/off near/far thing.

Brank 2010-01-28 18:37

The proximity sensor can't control the volume can it? Like say the closer you have it the lower it will set the volume? No that can't be. can it? :D

IlkkaP 2010-01-28 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by llacii (Post 499382)
Same thing with mine as well, and I also don't recall it happening before the recent firmware update.

I have also the same problem. The volume just disappears, and even reboot didn't help. I had to use it as a speakerphone for calls, and then all of a sudden the volume came back. Has happened a couple of times to me since updating to PR1.1.

jakiman 2010-01-28 19:32

Yup. Had this a few times and I had to resort to speaker mode. This better get fixed as it's a serious bug.

luigi 2010-01-28 19:33

I think it's worth to mention that not everyone (yet) encounters this problem with 2.2009.51-1.

Although I find the call volume (particularly on speaker) at maximum not very high, I haven't noticed a dropped volume level during the call or when moving close to or far away of my head.

Untouchab1e 2010-01-28 19:42

Still, it does seem to be a pretty serious issue affecting quite a few. It should be brought to Nokia's attention and they should fix it... Right now, the N900 is very difficult to make calls with..

phreck 2010-01-28 19:53

Gents, im the one who started this http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41646&page=4 thread. If you read through you will see that i completely fixed my phone by a small disassembly and reseating all the ribbon cables. Works like a champ now. My feeling is that the slider mechanism loosens up after a certain amount of use and this leads to the volume fading in and out. A good way to see if this might be y our issue, is while using the phone take your hand and press the slider down/left/right and see if anything improves. If it DOES, than you most likely have the same issue as i did. Pretty easy fix that took me less than 20 minutes to do. Hope you guys find some resolution. =D

Brank 2010-01-28 20:58

@phreck,
I can't believe this would be the cause. It happened to too many people precisely after firmware update.
Or at least not the main cause. It might help, but it has to be bound to the software side.

phreck 2010-01-28 21:12

[QUOTE=Brank;500012]@phreck,
I can't believe this would be the cause. It happened to too many people precisely after firmware update.
Or at least not the main cause. It might help, but it has to be bound to the software side.[/QUOT

Please note, im not saying its a fix-all, however if you had this issue prior to and after FW update, then give it a shot. Just throwing my two cents in and trying to help. Like i said, if you can press the slider down/left/right and get inproved audio, its most likely a ribbon cable that has come loose. =D

danielz000 2010-01-29 00:17

cheers phreck, your two cents are certainly appreciated :)

i got an automated response from Nokia saying I will receiving a reply from them within 48hrs.

Although I think its a FW problem, the thought occurs that the speaker could have a limited life, and being a new phone we are all hitting the problem around the same time.

I really hope not tho!

jakiman 2010-01-29 02:34

I reckon this is a FW problem also as it happens intermittently.
It usually happens when I "receive" a call. Not when I initiate.

stephan1508 2010-01-29 14:10

Hi there, i have the same problem. Moving the phone away from the ear helps sometimes. Mostly "received" calls have the problem, but not always. Getting the phone "out of the trousers" ;-) while ringing reduces the volume more often than taking the phone from the desk...

Hope for a solution...