maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N810 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Do you still use n8x0 in 2015 ? How ? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94805)

www.rzr.online.fr 2015-04-04 19:35

Do you still use n8x0 in 2015 ? How ?

Do you still use n8x0 in 2015 ? How ?

Hi
I've found a battery for my n810 ... so I pulled it out of the box ... and wondering how could I use it ? as a mp3 player for my car should be ok , a gps recorder too ... xmpp client is ok ( using jabber.org not gmail ) ...

Tried mobile twitter website with browser , it's not that usable ...

But maybe there are other hacks to use with it ? like a personal hotspot ...

map, skype, gizmo is just obsolete ... but terminal and sshclient + screen + irc may be still useful

I have serious doubt about pdf viewer ...

Do you know a decent html5 browser for this beast of should it stay as a portable vt100 device ?

Later

endsormeans 2015-04-04 20:50

Re: Do you still use n8x0 in 2015 ? How ?

...A great deal can be done on and with them ...still...
there are a couple of pdf viewers that work fine.
skype may be obsolete ...but I still use it on my n8x0's...works fine for me. Not sure if gtalk is still working ..haven't used it in a yr-ish now...but it was working back then.
...they are pretty darn cheap now nokiabot...grab one and mess with it.
I think they are worth the effort.
So far...these guys think so too..see what the future brings...

April 2nd 2015-
"The Nokia N810 and N800 tablets will going to kernel developers that are working on Nokia's old Linux devices and upstreaming drivers"
http://planet.freedesktop.org/

As far as what doesn't work anymore,
or properly anymore,
or does work well or middling,
or even possibly "could" work...
depends on whether you are still running stock diablo...
much of that is or may be dependent on what you have done to "beef-up" your diablo or your alternate os you are running or the chroot you run and what programs you then (may or can) utilize.

I'm not saying that the devices are a limitless well of possibilities ...able to do it all...but there most certainly is more that can still be accomplished with them... than many think.

nokiabot 2015-04-04 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1465774)
...A great deal can be done on and with them ...still...
there are a couple of pdf viewers that work fine.
skype may be obsolete ...but I still use it on my n8x0's...works fine for me. Not sure if gtalk is still working ..haven't used it in a yr-ish now...but it was working back then.
...they are pretty darn cheap now nokiabot...grab one and mess with it.
I think they are worth the effort.
So far...these guys think so too..see what the future brings...

April 2nd 2015-
"The Nokia N810 and N800 tablets will going to kernel developers that are working on Nokia's old Linux devices and upstreaming drivers"
http://planet.freedesktop.org/

As far as what doesn't work anymore,
or properly anymore,
or does work well or middling,
or even possibly "could" work...
depends on whether you are still running stock diablo...
much of that is or may be dependent on what you have done to "beef-up" your diablo or your alternate os you are running or the chroot you run and what programs you then (may or can) utilize.

I'm not saying that the devices are a limitless well of possibilities ...able to do it all...but there most certainly is more that can still be accomplished with them... than many think.

humm hawk eyes
who are those kernel devlopers !
kudos to them and i didnt quite get what they are after
thanx

u7knv9h 2015-04-04 21:14

just having ssh server and/or client, xmpp, terminal multiplexers, compilers, editors, interpreters, pdf viewer, media player, skype (no way! that's nonfree software.), and other goodies in extras/extras-devel is just great
plus, the N8x0 could be used as gorgeous fun and (fun)developing environments, and the upstreaming of drivers and kernel is great news

(if you really need twitter you could just install perl and use ttytter, http://www.floodgap.com/software/ttytter/)

luca 2015-04-05 14:50

Franky, I just use it to read my rss feed (with inoreader) in the 10 minutes pause after dinner. And it's bad (s.....l.....o......w) even for that.

endsormeans 2015-04-05 16:50

Wow ...I've never had it that bad ...
there are much faster rss readers you could use...
hell even stock works decently.
Why use inoreader? any particular reason or function or appearance ?
I was under the impression it was available as an android and iphone app only...
hell there isn't even a mention of our devices in their help files, forum, or members sections...
hmm...what ...is it somehow available to utilize through google?
Or do you have Nitdroid on your n8x0 and "macgyvered" inoreader to work?

I think if a prog meant for a different platform works ...even terribly... on stock chinook or diablo maemo with or without tweaking then that is bloody impressive.

But yeah on the n8x0...I'd use any of a 1/2 dozen others that work better, faster and are actually meant to run on the n8x0 ...than inoreader

chaos.beat 2015-04-05 17:49

Yep, I still use mine! For me it's mostly just a portable SSH client - I have a Nexus 4 running Sailfish, but nothing beats a nice hardware keyboard for working in the shell.

It's also got a decent UPnP media controller, which is something that's sorely lacking almost everywhere.

jakfish 2015-04-08 13:42

As for slow rss-ing, I use the stock rss feeder but I run the feeds through fivefilters and other full-text parser sites. That way, you get the complete article, no need for browsing, good news when you're stepping onto the airplane.

Jake

endsormeans 2015-04-08 14:14

elaborate if you would jake in a separate thread in os2008 subforum ...
1- so it doesn't get lost in the hurley-burley of a generalized thread.
2- I wouldn't mind seeing how and what you use... :D
3- and it would be a great rss micro-tutorial on best techniques of optifying the stock feedreader for new and old members....
If you don't mind of course...

jakfish 2015-04-08 14:51

Done :)

Jake

Fatalist 2015-04-08 17:39

Hi
There is an application to see with decent speed eg Youtube videos on N800 / N810? Something like Cutetube or similar.

endsormeans 2015-04-08 18:00

y'know I personally gave up on youtube on the NIT line years ago...even for the n900...every time you turn around sites like youtube , fb ...etc are constantly changing something... that makes it just that much more of a pain to keep up with... just to run their service.
For myself I transcode all my film via "media coder" and that gives me all my film desires in full screen happily. Batch conversion....easy-peasy . I even did a "foolproof-no-matter-what-always-works preset" for the n8x0 ...posted the preset here in the forums somewhere...just pop that preset file into media coder and it never forgets your preset ...even through version updates. Then you just choose the n8x0 preset ...drag and drop all your vids ...regardless of file type or parameters and presto-chango you got all your fav. film converted perfectly to the n8x0.
Streaming on the fly on the n8x0 ain't bad either for that matter...It depends on the site.

It's possible there is something current for the n8x0 that will work to allow youtube (that isn't outdated...)
It's possible the n8x0's hardware just can't handle the new youtube expectancies ...
I personally don't know ...
haven't looked in on n8x0 and youtube functioning in years...
someone else may know ...
or they have a good alternative ..
or an idea how to get 'er running smoothly for the n8x0's again...
See who chimes in with what.

Fatalist 2015-04-08 19:19

Thanks endsormeans, I tried once MyTube with this patch and updated youtube-dl-x file:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=98

But for some reason it did not work for me.
Thankfully there's cuteTube for the N900 which is very good, big thanks to marxian for all the work and updates.

endsormeans 2015-04-08 19:47

yeah man....cutetube ...that was it...still works eh?
hehe ...yeah ...youtube and ESPECIALLY social media apps I can certainly live without. Email, messaging, irc, voip, I don't mind...
Hell I have a twitter account ...for my work...
but I have posted perhaps a total of maybe 10 times in my life.
Got more work and living to do than tweeting.
Also I'd rather post here intermittently than tweet. :D
Not to mention...beautiful weather is pretty much here for my part of the world...and that means only 1 thing....BEER! :D
My beautiful lady loves me somethin' fierce I be thinkin'...
she read my mind and came home yesterday with a case of beer in one hand and a bottle of Sailor Jerry in the other...
Gawd she was a lovely sight in the sunshine....
here's a pic of my darling..
http://s26.postimg.org/r0elamihl/08_...3_39_56_PM.png
she is a hot, charming sweet thing...
bringin' me beer and one of the best rum's there is....

Anywho...
I'll have to try Addison's method...
(if I haven't already a long time ago..but can't remember now..)
but I think it may be outdated by now....
by a bit to say the least. I'm not surprised it may not work by now...
Maybe there is a way...
or maybe there is something real hardcore for youtube...
like ttytter...that goes for the jugular ...
so no matter what... you can always have it functioning....

pichlo 2015-04-08 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1466130)
Also I'd rather post here intermittently than tweet. :D

"Intermittently"? ;)

Congratulations on your beatiful lady. I read your post to mine. She laughed. I hope she gets the message.

endsormeans 2015-04-08 22:47

intermittently...ah...you got me there...pichlo :D
past my work, daily walks with cat, dog, and lady, my NIT's ....and this place (hell I just leave the browser open to TMO here ..on my shop laptop... and every once in a while through the day refresh it and see what's happening)..that is my day.....full.

]hahahaahaaa
yup...
and tell yours to be standing in her best (or least outfit ;D) whilst holding said case of beer and bottle of fine spirits ..AND be at the BBQ doing some burgers...
I chided mine for not BBQ-ing in her undies while presenting me with said plunder...
THAT would have made me faint on the spot ..I swear....
possibly keel over dead even.
hmm...perhaps it was better she didn't then....
else I wouldn't be enjoying Sailor Jerry...
one of the finest rums I have ever tasted....truly.
Damn good tattoo artist he was too...
for the navy boys during ww2...out of hawaii ..
the guy was something..
...get the bottle in the tube and you get a classic sailor jerry tattoo in poster format inside...
all of them are excellent renditions of his tattoos...
pin-up girls of course...
perfect eclectic posters for the shop...fit for framing.
anyway ..enough of my divergence ...

back to the issue at hand ...and away from distracting beauties, iconic art and the joys of the snifter. :)
what was it again...youtube!
yea I'm going to try Addison's lil' hack tonight.

endsormeans 2015-04-09 01:06

Couldn't wait...curiosity and beer got the best of me...
I downloaded mytube on my sd card cloned diablo turbo on a n800 ...fired up the program raw untampered.
Started up fine...it shows playlists...current..top vids...etc.
Hitting the play button...no.
Hitting the download button ..no
doesn't happen...
unlesssss.
you use the upper navigation bar and select "open selection in browser" and voila...bam. she goes...(
I'm sure downloading from youtube site directly is viable as well...haven't bothered just yet...)
even on the rusty-dusty n800...she goes...
it takes a second to start up..and there is about 10-20 seconds where it is laggy trying to play catch up..

I'm sure downloading from youtube site directly is viable as well.
I didn't bother turning up my n800's performance nor the youtube setting down to something lower so it was at the average output...not at extreme hd :D
pretty impressive....hehe..old betsy's still got it...got enough of it to stream straight from youtube in fact.

Me I watch podcasts of my national news ...sometimes the stream...but I figured youtube...mytube anytube was probably done on the n8x0...long time ago. Surprised me. Not that I'll bother with it personally...but ..shows that n8x0's still got it baby...stutters for the 1st bit...but she stops that and runs pretty decent...

I'll try the patch now...
nope.
no difference in the behaviour of mytube.
the thing is ...mytube prolly needs the skillz of the maker...or someone just as fluent to gently work it to the "latest" youtube demands...better sooner than later in my opinion...later means it may be a herculean effort with a lot of work needed...if not simply scrapping the current version of mytube and starting over being easier at that point.

addendum: thinking about it...even though mytube needs updating...
most definitely..for sure...
in it's current state it does at least make ...for the time being....a decent youtube browsing environment...before opening your selection in browser....

x_Blaze.It.Beau_x 2015-04-09 14:16

xP I used mine up until about the end of February..it got stuck in a boot loop. I don't know what to do with it right now. .o.

juiceme 2015-04-09 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by x_Blaze.It.Beau_x (Post 1466210)
xP I used mine up until about the end of February..it got stuck in a boot loop. I don't know what to do with it right now. .o.

why not fix it? :D

endsormeans 2015-04-09 14:55

hehehee
you bugger juiceme :D
beat me to it.
hehehee

hrmph...wellllll
charge up your batt.
reflash the os2008 diablo firmware...if you don't know quite what to do ....check the 3 posts in the bottom of my signature meticulously...
still need help just shout.

x_Blaze.It.Beau_x 2015-04-09 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1466216)
why not fix it? :D

xD Lmao I am! I was lurking here for about a couple weeks and then I see this forum and chime in about mine x)

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1466218)
hehehee
you bugger juiceme :D
beat me to it.
hehehee

hrmph...wellllll
charge up your batt.
reflash the os2008 diablo firmware...if you don't know quite what to do ....check the 3 posts in the bottom of my signature meticulously...
still need help just shout.

Thanks^^ Hopefully I can get it! :P

endsormeans 2015-04-09 20:19

@ x_Blaze.It.Beau_x
I suggest enthusiastically that you post a minimum of 5-10 times to unlock the spam-filtering pm function to ensure you are a genuine member.
That will help with getting direct help.
also grab your firmware from here..

make SURE it is the firmware for your device.
make SURE it is the latest version (or in our cases :D the least old :D)
that will help some...
I'll delete that link from here shortly after you have responded ..no need to rouse the ire of dark powers to try to eradicate the source of it from the archive ..eh?
After you got it follow the 3 links in my signature ...
down the rabbit hole...
in all it is a lot of stuff to soak up.
But it is easy to implement..
I did try to make it understandable...plain language.. for the 1st time user...for the layman.
There is even a vid walkthrough to help.
Just follow to the letter the instructions and you won't have a prob

x_Blaze.It.Beau_x 2015-04-10 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1466264)
@ x_Blaze.It.Beau_x
I suggest enthusiastically that you post a minimum of 5-10 times to unlock the spam-filtering pm function to ensure you are a genuine member.

You may go ahead and take it out :p I saved it to my pc for later :D

I'll for sure post more and more as time passes! I am really excited to be surrounded by my own kind!! :cool:

endsormeans 2015-04-10 18:24

One of Us ...
One of Us...
One of Us...
:D

endsormeans 2015-04-19 18:21

So Blaze...
how you doin' man?
everything going well ?
gettin' your n810 back from the cereal-hell of Bootloops? :D

u7knv9h 2015-04-22 19:34

wouldn't youtube-dl + mplayer be fine? if mplayer is compiled with openssl and/or gnutls it would be as easy as
Code:

mplayer "$(youtube-dl -g https://random.video)"
if mplayer with openssl/gnutls is not available one can just use youtube-dl to download a video (yes, you can choose the quality to be something playable) and then play it with the player of choice
i still haven't tried because i'm really busy these days, but it should be really doable: in fact i do it everyday with my laptop (an overgrown IT basically ;D)
if someone is really brave he could compile mpv and use that... but dependencies are a pain...

endsormeans 2015-04-22 20:18

yup...
I imagine it would work...
but ....like you...
I'm just a tad busy 'tween my work carving and learning c++ ...
once done ...(not sure when that will be...)
maybe tackle it then ...maybe try writing something suitable.

Personally once I have the book larnin' :D..
I can think of a thousand other things to work on that are more critically needed for our 8x0 devices than a youtube client...
it may be a little low on my totem pole of apps to resuscitate, rework or new alternatives...

vectis 2015-05-08 22:04

Still using mine - in fact I recently bought another one! I have mpd running on a raspberry pi and the tablet works as great frontend for that.
It gets used for messaging on skype and facebook chat, and I still use it for watching the odd film or tv programme.

I managed to compile qt-4.8.5 for it in scratchbox, and so I have got some qt apps compiled.

qtFM - filemanager - runs fine

dukto - lan file transfers - works very well on the tablet

qbittorrent - works, but does have a habbit of freezing or crashing

TinyPasswordManager - for storing all those pesky passwords/logins etc. I've got it on my Debian laptop as well, and I keep the database in sync by using dropbox uploader, which can be made to work on the tablet.

QupZilla - web browser - runs but constantly crashes, still has a few uses though.

QMPDClient - work ok.

Highly tempted to buy another one! :D

robthebold 2015-05-09 01:05

Nice speakers for its size. I use it for playing music. And uPNP support!

endsormeans 2015-05-09 01:36

Both my 2 n810's and 2 n800's are fab in my books...
I can't say enough about them...
never went for the next "shiny" ...
had a cheap flip phone for a long time..
when it died got my first n900 ..back in 2011? I think ...
got another ...as back up..so yeah...my n900 is my daily driver..
but my n8x0's ..they get constant daily use since I got them back-in-the-day....I can't imagine using anything else.

endsormeans 2015-06-10 05:16

Grand news you gave me Blaze...
You got your n810 back from the brink...
Did you figure it out?
What did you do?
Whether it was a very complicated fix or something as simple as firmware reflashing...
the community and more specifically n8x0 users need to know what the fix is in case a similar situation occurs to them.

I get that you are new here and all...and some stuff may seem confusing to say the least...
but this is standard ...it's what we do here...we have no diagnostic team or corporation (any longer) to fall back on for fixes...how-to's...patches...updates...anything like that...

We.. (that's all of us... fellow members of this community).. are the diagnostic team...
so when a prob occurs..we try to help each other the best we can to find solutions and document it so it can be referenced in the future by those in need. Regardless how simple or complex the fix.
(Personally I love simple fixes to complex problems.
Makes life easier and less tedious. :D)

So please recap in brief what the problem and symptoms were...and what you did that fixed it.

pa28pilot 2015-09-07 21:14

My N810WE is to this day one of the best tool form factors for troubleshooting servers inside data centers, or any other place where I don't feel like trying to hold a laptop while pulling cables out of machines in racks.

Sadly, the Clearwire/Sprint/XOHM WiMAX network is finally about to sing its swan song here in the U.S on November 6th. They did not make it easy to keep using that network with the N810, but it was possible. (Ironically, it was something as simple as trying to get to buttons on a web form that was the largest impediment to using WiMAX in recent years.)

Nokia deserves some credit for taking a chance with a protocol that actually delivered on its promise well before LTE showed up to the party.

I won't belabor the seeming jihad against hardware keyboards that we've seen in handheld device form factors for the past several years, except to say that the build quality of those Nokia devices, while not perfect, could hold its own against anything being sold today.

endsormeans 2015-09-07 21:46

Word.

They are beauties... ain't they?

buurmas 2015-09-08 14:20

My daughter uses it for playing music in her room and taking notes. Alas, it's starting to come apart. We have a rubber band wrapped around it to keep the top & bottom halves together. :-)

endsormeans 2015-09-08 14:40

Oh man...that is on one hand ..
fabulous ...
and the other..
terrible.
Poor beastie....
Even still..
it's still going!
With a rubber band holding it together even!

yoh 2015-10-15 23:20

I use it daily for podcasts. Haven't found a better app than Gpodder or better pocket speakers.

endsormeans 2015-10-16 00:05

zigactly.
I 100% agree ..
excellent for podcasts.
In all I have an n800 or n810 on all day and through the night (I have one playing baroque via internet radio to me while I drift off...and it is the 1st thing in the morning whispering lovely calm music to me as I get up.

napoleaum 2016-01-05 20:22

Hi! I live in Brazil and am using an n810 as an alarm clock and gmail notifier, sitting on my nightstand. Also, i always use Xournal for notetaking and every now and then play Full Throttle on Scummvm.
I used to play internet radio on it almost constantly, but for some reason the online radio database of the stock media player stopped working.
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to updating and restoring such databases.. it would bring me a lot of joy while I'm at work.
Thanks in advance

endsormeans 2016-01-05 21:01

There is a thread in multimedia concerning internet radio stations....
which we were discussing not so long ago actually ...(less than a month ago I think) with a veritable ton of radio stations mentioned

all new posts for this thread should now go ..
here...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...96#post1493796
since it is 2016 now
:D