maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   [Bounty] Decent Torrent App for Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85839)

wormdrummer 2012-08-03 02:58

[Bounty] Decent Torrent App for Harmattan

Hi Guys,

My N900 died recently and I am really missing QTRapids. I now have an N9 and the only thing it is really missing is a decent torrent app. I have downloaded Meetor for the N9, but it doesn't connect to most trackers.

I am offering a $1000 bounty to anyone that can port QTrapids or Transmission from Meamo 5 to the N9. Anyone else who feels they want to contribute, please feel free to do so. I am really hoping that someone will take this up. Thanks.

bandora 2012-08-03 03:05

Re: [Bounty] Decent Torrent App for Harmattan

Quote:

Originally Posted by wormdrummer (Post 1246732)
Hi Guys,

My N900 died recently and I am really missing QTRapids. I now have an N9 and the only thing it is really missing is a decent torrent app. I have downloaded Meetor for the N9, but it doesn't connect to most trackers.

I am offering a $1000 bounty to anyone that can port QTrapids or Transmission from Meamo 5 to the N9. Anyone else who feels they want to contribute, please feel free to do so. I am really hoping that someone will take this up. Thanks.

Woah! $1000!! That's awesome! So QTrapids is made with Qt right?? So in theory, it could be ported easily to N9?

wormdrummer 2012-08-03 03:16

Hopefully.. yes!

justadude 2012-08-03 03:54

I will donate an extra $100 as well. Even transmission on the N900 did the job.

Creamy Goodness 2012-08-03 04:24

This is cool but it's not really a one man job, and I think we should set some rules about what qualifies.
I suggest it should be open source and have a user interface that is at least somewhat customized for an n9 meaning not requiring a keyboard or stylus.

Elleo 2012-08-03 04:43

I don't think porting QtRapids should be too much of a problem, I spent the past couple of hours fiddling around and have it running with the standard QT interface on an N9:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5...3_05-41-56.png

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-R...2/12080002.jpg

The next step would of course be to make the UI touch friendly. I've noticed that there is a QML implementation in the source tree, I haven't looked in to how complete this is yet though.

However considering how much of the work is already done by QtRapids and libtorrent, it wouldn't really seem reasonable to accept such a large bounty for it unless it was split up so that the original author of QtRapids and perhaps the libtorrent project got a share.

Elleo 2012-08-03 04:47

Just had a play around with the QML implementation and that seems very basic and unfinished at the moment, so I'm not sure whether it'd be best to finish that or modify the QT widgets interface to use MTF instead, I'll have a play around with both approaches and see where it gets me.

wormdrummer 2012-08-03 04:52

I think that is a good idea. I guess the idea of the large bounty was to gather interest in the project. I am more than happy to split the bounty in whatever way the person who can provide a working .deb file feels is appropriate. I think if it is QTRapids that is ported, then some money to should to the orginal author.

In terms of what qualifies, the original QTRapids on the N900 didn't need a keyboard to use, and could connect and download torrents from most torrent site trackers with no issue. I'm assuming that if it is ported to the n9, then this would remain the case. The N900 had issues if saving the torrent files or downloaded file to the internal memory, but worked fine if it were saved to the MicroSD card, obviously the N9 version would need to be able to save to the internal memory (with ability to configure what directory to save the files to) without crashing the phone.

Looking at your screenshot above, it looks like you are most of the way there already!

DarkSkies 2012-08-03 05:22

Since we are talking libtorrent: To be honest the best and only sound option here would be to port rtorrent to harmattan. The project is very well documented and the whole source is available. That's pretty much the most decent client out there (and it can be extremely efficient) which is surprisingly easy to handle from command line and very scripting/plugin friendly.

There's really no use to develop or rewrite a 'native' torrent client from meamo. No private tracker will white list it anyway. And transmission? Transmission tend to be inefficient and too often in the past its version caused problems.

Creamy Goodness 2012-08-03 06:21

rtorrent + web ui = win
I'm sure it's like 1/10 the work of making a UI from scratch, anyways.