maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Let's talk Nokia stock! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56370)

Dave999 2010-06-16 15:13

Let's Buy Nokia Stock!

What's you take on nokia stock? profit warnings for Q2. It it just that nokia lack of new phones on the market? or will they lose market shares for real?

danramos 2010-06-16 15:16

Re: Lets talk Nokia stock!

Funny timing... I JUST finished telling me coworker who was looking over new phones (mostly Androids), "So... what, no Nokias?" Irony because he used to be a HUGE Nokia fanboy. Not so much anymore.

When I look at all the neat new phones and whiz-bang features and their high profile.. I'm left wondering where Nokia fits in in the year 2010.

ysss 2010-06-16 15:16

The truly interesting things in the pipelines are way way way distant.

They've managed to maintain (well +1% increase) their high end smartphone marketshare by lowering their average sell price from 190E to 150E. I expect this strategy to fail this quarter.. there's not much more to give while the competitions are stepping up.

More downtrend for at least another 9+ months unfortunately...

bugelrex 2010-06-16 15:22

Nokia gives profit warning. Stock is tanking. They deserve it

I wonder how low Nokia's stock has to get before management get a clue?

They just issued a profit warning.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=NOK

Another 20-30% down and they might finally realize:
- they cant put out half finished phones (n900, n97)
- Why the hard-on for Symbian? especially when its just not up to par with the competition
- Meego better have a decent UI experience
- you need to fire all the crappy QA,developers. Stop being cheap and hire non-junior developers
- Stop with the stupid E and N series split. In 2010 consumers expect both decent business/consumer experience in a phone.
- stop catering to the extreme geeks by just piling on "features" that sound good but don't work well in practice.
- How hard is it to make sure all the apps you ship with the phone have the same look/feel UI experience?
- in 2010, "majority" of consumers like slim phones

.. its looking pretty sad. why can't Nokia wake up????? They were so close with N900..

Dave999 2010-06-16 15:24

Well if we look at the smartphones segment and the value of nokia stock we can excpect even more decreased values. Wonder what phones nokia will push out Q3. n8-00 alone is not enough to change the trend. Have to investigate that. Or can it be the the markets expectations is from nokias glory days in the past?

ysss 2010-06-16 15:24

Re: Nokia gives profit warning. Stock is tanking. They deserve it

Oh bollocks, there's no need for that kind of commentary in the subject...

btw, here's an earlier thread about the same subject:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56370

danramos 2010-06-16 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 717685)
The truly interesting things in the pipelines are way way way distant.

They've managed to maintain (well +1% increase) their high end smartphone marketshare by lowering their average sell price from 190E to 150E. I expect this strategy to fail this quarter.. there's not much more to give while the competitions are stepping up.

More downtrend for at least another 9+ months unfortunately...

If only they had another market to fall back on besides the cell phone market in the meantime while they try to fix their cellphone market-share! You know.. something they were uniquely ahead on. Say, INTERNET TABLETS. Especially seeing as how Starbucks and McDonald's are both now offering FREE wifi in all their locations. Nobody is going to particularly care about having a 3G radio in their device anymore. Hell, the iPad people aren't even going to bother with 3G anymore either. Apple, once again doing the smart thing, doing something I kept suggesting all along: offer a non-cellphone version of your f***ing device (cheaper, lighter, etc.)

Nokia had opportunity and pissed it away, as usual.

Texrat 2010-06-16 15:29

Historically it's been a great buy below $14. I've made money on it twice going by that. But I'm really concerned with how low it is now. I think I'll wait until the next dip to add more.

Still, it can't stay this low forever.

Average Joe 2010-06-16 15:33

Re: Nokia gives profit warning. Stock is tanking. They deserve it

Ouch! From a high of $40 a share in 2008, to $8 a share today. Not cool if you are a shareholder.

Dave999 2010-06-16 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 717705)
Historically it's been a great buy below $14. I've made money on it twice going by that. But I'm really concerned with how low it is now. I think I'll wait until the next dip to add more.

Still, it can't stay this low forever.

True, but i think nokia have to find more profit in other areas than phones. In the past that were their cash cow. nodays componies must have several legs.

I thinking of putting in some money tomorrow. will see what is happning during the week. But after big dips the stock almost always jumps back a bit ;)