maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   [Work in progress] Milestones for porting Symbian (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74669)

marmistrz 2011-07-06 16:11

[Work in progress] Milestones for porting Symbian

v0.0:v0.1
  • Copy it to N900, make multiboot entry
  • Make it boot
v1.0
  • Make it running

Some more will be added soon
Now anybody can monitor the progress

Information: I am using Ubuntu 11.04 x64, any suggestions will be appreciated

Nokia 5700 2011-07-06 18:27

Re: [Work in progress] Milestones for porting Symbian

Excuse me... But do you seriously intend to boot Symbian with Multiboot?
You do know what kind of OS you're dealing with, right?
It's not Linux. It's Symbian. There is no initrd, no modules, but there's a kernel image. That image is compatible with U-Boot, which we are fortunate to have.
Symbian is a one-of-a-kind OS. It's not based on anything else, and nothing is based off it. And in addition... I want to ask: do you have any experience or knowledge about Symbian whatsoever? I think you should read up on it before trying to port it, so that you can understand how it works. Otherwise it will be like arriving at mars for the first time.

I have belief in that U-Boot will work, as it does the exact correct thing for Symbian: use a kernel image, and then boot off a second partition on the card.

jedi 2011-07-06 18:32

Please can't you stick just to one thread for your 'project'?

elie-7 2011-07-06 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmistrz (Post 1045878)
v0.0:v0.1
  • Copy it to N900, make multiboot entry
  • Make it boot
v1.0
  • Make it running

Some more will be added soon
Now anybody can monitor the progress

Information: I am using Ubuntu 11.04 x64, any suggestions will be appreciated

any screenshots mate ??????? i think this is very awesome, and even better why don't u get a digital camera and take a couple of pictures of the n900 running symbian^3 , or even better a youtube video :D good luck mate .....

warhawk007 2011-07-06 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedi (Post 1045956)
Please can't you stick just to one thread for your 'project'?

I totally agree with you.
Maybe its just me but I feel that the person neither knows anything about Maemo nor Symbian. Its obvious he is totally new to maemo and he himself has declared he has no prior experience with Symbian either.

For me it feels more like a publicity stunt to grab attention. Its like how we used to find joy in compiling small applications like a calculator in C++ back in school. He feels that just by compiling a publicly releaed source code, an OS is born and expects it to work on multiple platforms!
Here, the OP fails to understand that porting an application and porting an OS are two entirely different scenarios.
No offense meant! Its just my humble opinion.

Anyways as usual, I'd never discourage anyone with a good motive. He is doing or trying to do something which I cant do. So I'd always support and encourage in any ways possible.

casper27 2011-07-06 19:16

If you build it they will come :)

Sorry could't resist...

jstokes 2011-07-06 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by warhawk007 (Post 1045979)
Maybe its just me but I feel that the person neither knows anything about Maemo nor Symbian. Its obvious he is totally new to maemo and he himself has declared he has no prior experience with Symbian either.

I think you're giving the guy too much credit. ~3 weeks ago, there was this. Writing one bad* C++ program does not maketh an expert in porting OSes.

Yes, bad. libhal is meant to be used from within programs, not lshal with dubious tricks...

mrojas 2011-07-06 19:50

Why are you so eager to shoot him down? Let him try and learn on the process, chances are he will discover cool things on the way.

pusak gaoq 2011-07-06 19:50

hard to explain to someone who thinks he know everything about symbian even if he never use symbian at all...
as one of symbian modder i have a reason why i jump ship from symbian to maemo...the reason is simple...

Quote:

maemo platform is far superior than other platform
in symbian forum you can call me a modder but here i just a student that learning from the very-very best teacher such as MAG,nicolai,Mentalist Treaceur,pali & many other in our beloved forum...as a student still i don't show off my symbian modding abilities to other cause modding a symbian is nothing comparing than the abilities to modded a maemo...

so why do you thinks you can port symbian to N900 knowing that you dont even have the knowledge to understand the system itself???
did you learn something that make you believe that you can port symbian to N900??

if you do then i will be amazed cause i have been a symbian modder for almost five years now but still i believe it is impossible to port it to our beloved N900...

marmistrz 2011-07-07 11:29

I'll be trying... it's programming after all....
Now I'm trying to figure out how to compile it :)
No screenshots, only first milestone done up to now