maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Brainstorm (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Brainstorm: Porting maemo to other devices instead (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79333)

immi.shk 2011-10-24 15:42

Brainstorm: Porting maemo to other devices instead

3 Attachment(s)
How about Porting maemo to other devices instead...
devices like Nexus Prime & Galaxy Note... it would be really great coz it would allow employing both maemo & these devices to different level..

Attachment 23198

Attachment 23199

Attachment 23206

SOME WORK IS ALREADY DONE

Meego on Nexus One
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/MSMQSD

VIDEO
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0OMdJDjUA4

Nexus S receives MeeGo and Ubuntu ports
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/11/n...nerd-senses-t/

Install MeeGo on Nexus One, HTC Desire, and Dell Streak
http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/...d-dell-streak/

P.s - its ok if we cant get all the things working... just maemo with microB & Easy debian & cutetube(if possible) would be enough... every other perk form maemo would be a bonus.. :)

m4r0v3r 2011-10-24 15:49

Re: Brainstorm: Porting maemo to other devices instead

no keyboard no sale, and there are a few closed things, your better off trying to port meego which am sure someone has already done to the nexus, although very slowly and then whack on cordia

immi.shk 2011-10-24 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r (Post 1112907)
your better off trying to port meego which am sure someone has already done to the nexus

Thanks for your Guidance...
i found posts reguarding meego & Ubuntu port on Nexus & Dell Streak UPDATED on first post

so its not impossible
:)

Kangal 2011-10-25 03:24

Its been tried and failed.

I tried to 2 years ago with the Mer Project and a HTC Touch Pro.

buurmas 2011-10-25 03:38

Actually, I would steer you to Mer. Mer just got rebooted a month or so ago as the future of community-driven MeeGo Core. The Cordia UI is based on Mer. The KDE folks' Plasma Active user interface may run off Mer. I know Mer has had a disappointing history with its past incarnations, but it seems to have a burst of momentum now and the promise of taking the best of what came from MeeGo and running with it in a fully open, community-driven way.

If nothing else, consider talking to Stskeeps about your plans, and he can tell you what pain & suffering lies on a path like this. :)

kingoddball 2011-10-27 05:14

I've had a Maemo chroot running on a Galaxy S2 (any Droid device will work) but I could not get it to be fully functional.

It wouldn't install any applications (HAM) and I have no drivers for the hardware.

I tried to set up a VNC server/client but yeah... No video drivers and whatnot.

Also... Could be illegal.

kingoddball 2011-10-27 05:15

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=76149

demolition 2011-10-27 22:56

I seem to remeber Qole making a comment like "if android would run xserver I'd be over it like peanut butter" - or similar. Not sure how his progress compares with yours. Might be easier to take device with drivers installed, see how they'd link into Mer then slap hildon on top. Good luck - we all look forward to hearing how you get on...

lma 2011-10-28 00:54

Funny you should mention that, over at another place he's threatening to build a maemo chroot for webos :-)

patlak 2011-10-28 01:09

That photo of the Note just proves how dumb Nokia was to dump Maemo 5 and focus on a completely new UI. Even though, Harmattan is close to perfection when it comes to simplicity, Nokia screwed up of not pumping out competitive devices running M5. There would not have been any WP7 deal now, or any WP7 device if M5 reached mass market. I guess a MS deal was a long time in the making.

immi.shk 2011-10-28 02:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by patlak (Post 1114883)
That photo of the Note just proves how dumb Nokia was to dump Maemo 5 and focus on a completely new UI. ....................if M5 reached mass market. I guess a MS deal was a long time in the making.

yes.. thats why it is a request to port maemo to these devices... its most powerful yet so simple & we have already done a lot of work on it & we know its Credibility & Efficiency & we Luv it...:)

if we just decide to port maemo to some specific one or two devices it might be achieved.. Even a partial working maemo is much more useful then current OS's...
this will let us stay with the community & maemo development for a much longer longer time...

immi.shk 2011-10-28 04:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by lma (Post 1114873)
Funny you should mention that, over at another place he's threatening to build a maemo chroot for webos :-)

wow tht guy hs got LXDE workin on HP Touchpad

video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=159h_t0hHPQ

now that's an achievement...:)
@lma Good find my frend

maluka 2011-10-28 06:09

I like the Galaxy Note because of its great stylus support. It's just been released in Australia and should hit Germany in the coming week as well. The source code has also just been released. It ticks most of the boxes that drove me to buy the N800 originally.

immi.shk 2011-11-02 18:10

Galaxy note got rooted...
blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-note-rooted-already-you-can-try-this-at-home-video/

www.androidnz.net/2011/11/at-your-own-risk-how-to-root-your.html

hope to see a fully working maemo on it... soon..

bocephus 2011-12-20 00:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by immi.shk (Post 1117444)
hope to see a fully working maemo on it... soon..

THAT would be something!

bingomion 2011-12-20 13:39

hmm a M5 port on the droid 3 or 4.. i would be impressed!! fo sho! :D

lardman 2011-12-20 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by buurmas (Post 1113163)
Actually, I would steer you to Mer. Mer just got rebooted a month or so ago as the future of community-driven MeeGo Core. The Cordia UI is based on Mer. The KDE folks' Plasma Active user interface may run off Mer. I know Mer has had a disappointing history with its past incarnations, but it seems to have a burst of momentum now and the promise of taking the best of what came from MeeGo and running with it in a fully open, community-driven way.

If nothing else, consider talking to Stskeeps about your plans, and he can tell you what pain & suffering lies on a path like this. :)

The issue with Mer/Nemo/Meego at the moment, for me at least, is that after spending some significant time getting the Samsung Galaxy Tab to boot Nemo (I imagine it will be easier with the next device now I've learned the things I needed to know), as I don't have hw acceleration working I can't use the UI at all.

This is a bit disheartening and not ideal if you want to port applications rather than system sw and drivers (I want to do both), so I've decided to go for Ubuntu in the meantime so I have something that is at least vaguely usable while I look at the missing drivers, hacking together hw accel, etc.

With that said the Ubuntu XServer is segfaulting and I've just broken the install by installing the deps required to build mtev, but once that's sorted the UI should be usable at least (which is a nice morale boost).

GrimyHR 2011-12-20 18:08

why would we port it to such expensive brand name devices when there are tons of cheap tablets with comparable hardware like this one for 83$
http://www.pandawill.com/ployer-momo...te-p52651.html

wouldnt something like that be a better platform for porting a community OS to it(price/performance wise)

lardman 2011-12-20 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimyHR (Post 1140101)
why would we port it to such expensive brand name devices when there are tons of cheap tablets with comparable hardware like this one for 83$
http://www.pandawill.com/ployer-momo...te-p52651.html

wouldnt something like that be a better platform for porting a community OS to it(price/performance wise)

Well mainly as I owned one (and I chose it as I wanted GPS and an e-compass, though accessing the GPS remains WIP). The tablet you mention may well be a better bet (certainly it's higher spec, but then it's newer) as it has a Mail GPU and you might get some sense out of them re. producing hardfloat userspace binaries (which is currently one of the issues associated with trying to run hardfloat Nemo as opposed to softfloat Ubuntu).

I'm device agnostic as long as it's readily available and has the required spec and realistically one would want to support multiple devices (preferably with a non-accelerated UI as a fallback!)

m4r0v3r 2011-12-21 01:54

I'd rather seem nemo mer on either the droid 3 or the htc desire z, i prefer the droid 3 keyboard though

GrimyHR 2011-12-21 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r (Post 1140248)
I'd rather seem nemo mer on either the droid 3 or the htc desire z, i prefer the droid 3 keyboard though

yes we would all like to see it on million different devices, but that is not going to happen, community must at least start on just one device, which should have good hardware and be cheap so that people can afford it next to expensive devices they already bought, and maybe even donate to the developers as an incentive to develop thing further...

i most certainly wont pay 100-200$ for some hardware and then 200-400$ more just for its brand when i'm going to put a community developed OS on it, id rather pay 100$ for a device and then donate 50$ to the developing team and i'm sure a lot of people would rather do like this than pay 400-600$ for a device that is also worth 100-150$

lardman 2011-12-21 21:51

Well Droid 3 is ideal-ish as it's an OMAP 4 (so the Pandaboard stuff should be reasonably close), however as it's a Motorola phone, it's probably not so easy. In addition it's not available in the UK and as GrimyHR says it's expensive for a device that will be unusable for most of the time (i.e. while developing for it)

Desire Z is a Snapdragon, so you'll end up with the issues as listed on the Meego page.

The Hummingbird is somewhere between the two, no drivers directly available, but potential to modify and use the OMAP4 userspace stuff.

Life would be much better if all the SOC manufacturers released GPU acceleration libraries for both hard- and soft-float....

In any case I'm continuing development on the Hummingbird, noting that one can now buy a 1GHz, 512MB RAM Hummingbird machine (w/ GPS, e-compass, WLAN, BT, etc.) in the form of the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 5.0/4.0 for ~£130.

If you want something that has compatible drivers + userspace for the GPU, then a Tegra 2 device is the way forward, but they are mainly 10" devices, which is not what I'm after.

m4r0v3r 2011-12-24 13:02

the droid 3's bootloader is locked and cannot be opened for **** well it can but no ones done it

immi.shk 2011-12-25 06:43

1 Attachment(s)
this is how MAEMO ON MILESTONE-3 will look like.. :)

Attachment 24187

p.s. - i found milestone & droid-3 almost similar in spec's except for the front facing camera i.e. VGA, & also DROID-3 is Verizon Exclusive

immi.shk 2011-12-25 07:27

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 24189

just luv MOTO FLIPOUT... :)

b.t.w. it has the same cpu & gpu of N900
ie
CPU 600 MHz Cortex-A8
GPU PowerVR SGX530

slaapliedje 2011-12-25 08:37

That Flipout would be AWESOME with Maemo 5. Definitely something I'd like to have!

Having had a N9 for a short time, I definitely like Maemo 5 better, I just wish it had faster / more hardware, and a less scratch prone screen.

slaapliedje

GrimyHR 2011-12-25 09:22

that flipout has a locked bootloader(like all moto phones if im not mistaken) and a resolution of just 320x240

slaapliedje 2011-12-25 17:20

Yeah, unfortunately Motorola likes to lock their boot loaders.

Fortunately, most of them have been hacked.

slaapliedje

Mike Fila 2011-12-25 18:06

Well all the mock ups are nice but I think what we need to do is create a road map listing all the closed bits of maemo, if doesnt exist already.

Then see what could possibly be borrowed/modified from other open source projects (web os, meego, etc) and what needs to be written from scratch to make this happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaapliedje (Post 1141642)
a less scratch prone screen.

While I agree that it is scratch prone, It is rugged and has saved me in the past ...Ive dropped the phone so many times that I feel if it were glass it would have been totally f'd by now.

Several months ago I dropped it on a rock which made a pretty big gash in the center of the screen. Now though with alot of usage it has gotten to the point where I can no longer see it when the screen is on. I bet with the right type of buffing pad/solution you could polish out most scratches.

ammyt 2011-12-25 18:15

@Mike Fila
Before doing that, you should look for first class developers that would agree on spending and dedicating their free time working on porting a dead platform, for granted...just sayin'.

marmistrz 2011-12-25 18:57

I think there's no use in porting Maemo to non-hwkbd phone
A good candidate would be HTC Desire or HP Pre 3

Mike Fila 2011-12-25 19:00

@ammyt

Well the the idea of a road map would be to see just how big of a project this is and to asses it's feasibility ;)

edit lol I left an s out *assess

Hurrian 2011-12-26 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmistrz (Post 1141768)

http://goput.it/s2x.jpg

m4r0v3r 2011-12-27 02:29

am tempted to whack open photoshop and make a few of these, but lets get real, it aint happening unless we do it, no developer is going to randomly create an os from scratch

we do however have a nice set of people from the mer project that have put a lot of time and effort into it, also a lot of time and effort has been put onto cordia to make it run on mer, so why doesnt someone get nemo mobile running on a device of there choice, the mer irc channel is a massive help

am not even attempting it because A. i wouldnt know were to start. B. am too broke for another device and C. my n900 works perfectly with a 600mhz processor, sure no flash at times but it works to my needing.

railroadmaster 2011-12-28 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmistrz (Post 1141768)

all maemo really needs is a keyboard on screen or otherwise. The truth is that very devices have hardware keyboards unless they feature phones that don't have any real processing power.

lancewex 2011-12-28 21:56

I have a 7inch Archos tablet and a Blackberry Playbook, and I still wish I could buy a 7inch device with Maemo 5. I don't need/want another phone. I just want a larger screened device for media. And neither of the ones I have are as good as Maemo (though the Playbook OS is pretty amazing for what it does do).

railroadmaster 2011-12-28 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancewex (Post 1142895)
I have a 7inch Archos tablet and a Blackberry Playbook, and I still wish I could buy a 7inch device with Maemo 5. I don't need/want another phone. I just want a larger screened device for media. And neither of the ones I have are as good as Maemo (though the Playbook OS is pretty amazing for what it does do).

I woud love native Maemo for my HTC Flyer. Running linux in Chroot is just so slow.

Hurrian 2011-12-29 02:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by railroadmaster (Post 1142912)
I woud love native Maemo for my HTC Flyer. Running linux in Chroot is just so slow.

You'll need to get native GNU/Linux booting on it first.
brb, enjoying Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity 2D on my Transformer.

railroadmaster 2011-12-29 02:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurrian (Post 1142955)
You'll need to get native GNU/Linux booting on it first.
brb, enjoying Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity 2D on my Transformer.

Well unfortunately I wouldn't know how to do that. I am not that technical (yet)

immi.shk 2011-12-29 02:54

wish to see a "NitMaemo" project in 2012... ~_~