maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Jolla1 & TOH (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   [HOWTO] Comprehensive Firmware Flashing Guide for Jolla (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91885)

juiceme 2013-11-29 06:16

[HOWTO] Comprehensive Firmware Flashing Guide for Jolla

I think we need a thread for flashing new kernels / OS releases for Jolla too :D

So, I'll open this:

1. Where to get flasher tool (for linux of course)?
2. Is it possible to flash kernel in situ?
3. What support binaries are needed, like FIASCO images?
4. Where to get kernel build tree and toolchains?

nieldk 2013-11-29 09:07

Re: [HOWTO] Comprehensive Firmware Flashing Guide for Jolla

OnTwitter, they replied that information on kernel development, craeting images and flashing, will be available via merproject.org.
So, lets see ....

rainisto 2013-12-01 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1390482)
I think we need a thread for flashing new kernels / OS releases for Jolla too :D

So, I'll open this:

1. Where to get flasher tool (for linux of course)?
2. Is it possible to flash kernel in situ?
3. What support binaries are needed, like FIASCO images?
4. Where to get kernel build tree and toolchains?

1. Currently there is no flasher tool available for general public. Flashing is only possible on care centers (or by Jolla employees). This means that you need to be carefull out there when beeing in developer mode, if you brick your device it can take some time to get device to care for reflashing (and on worst case you may have void your warranty for example if you have overclocked and fried the cpu with custom kernel module while beeing in developer mode). However we are working on possible flashing solution to be available for developers during 2014, but there is no decisions nor ETA defined yet.

4. Most likely by sending source code request to address which is stated in about device settings page.

Kabouik 2013-12-01 16:45

Thanks for the details Rainisto.

I really hope that flasher will come out, and not only for developpers. That's a big part of what made the N900 and N9 what they are. Plus it should lower the need for asking Jolla Care to fix things that could be fixed by users.

I think Nokia haven't received more devices to unbrick because users messed up with the flasher, than they would have received devices to unbrick because users couldn't unbrick them by themselves. People who use the flasher do this at their own risk anyway, and are usually involved in the community (otherwise they wouldn't even be aware a flasher exists), so they know it'll be faster to *not* send the device for service, but rather find how to properly use the flasher by asking the community.

Larswad 2013-12-01 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainisto (Post 1391409)
1. Currently there is no flasher tool available for general public. Flashing is only possible on care centers (or by Jolla employees). This means that you need to be carefull out there when beeing in developer mode, if you brick your device it can take some time to get device to care for reflashing (and on worst case you may have void your warranty for example if you have overclocked and fried the cpu with custom kernel module while beeing in developer mode). However we are working on possible flashing solution to be available for developers during 2014, but there is no decisions nor ETA defined yet.

4. Most likely by sending source code request to address which is stated in about device settings page.

Wow, this really surprises me. That is one thing that should be there from the beginning, at least that's what I think many expect.

Mikkosssss 2013-12-01 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabouik (Post 1391420)
I think Nokia haven't received more devices to unbrick because users messed up with the flasher, than they would have received devices to unbrick because users couldn't unbrick them by themselves.

Then there have been few cases where Nokia Care says that phone cant be fixed and community has helped to fix it.

shmerl 2013-12-01 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainisto (Post 1391409)

Is this going to change in the future? It doesn't sound too good. How can one for example flash Nemo there, without being able to make a hw adaptation (which includes the kernel)? Since kernel has to be published anyway as per GPL, why can't Jolla just put out the sources and .ks build instructions somewhere which can be updated in the timely fashion? That old practice of Nokia with sending the sources on DVDs instead of just hosting the whole thing on-line somewhere always looked pretty bizarre. I hope Jolla will avoid doing such stuff.

Konsta 2013-12-13 08:34

Requested and received. I've merged the Jolla kernel source release (kernel-adaptation-sbj-3.4.0.20131115.2) on top of tagged Qualcomm (Android) kernel release so that it's possible to view all Jolla specific changes. Only really major change I noticed in my first quick glance through it, was that they've backported btrfs (from linux-stable 3.5.7). Other than that, their changes are mostly hardware enablement related (display, touchscreen, camera, sensor, etc drivers). Stuff you'd see in any kernel source for any e.g. Android device. Vast majority of their (or their ODM's) changes are even commented (who, when, what) which is great compared to some other stuff I've seen. In general quite clean, though I (literally :P) see red when I see all those whitespaces.

I've pushed the source to my GitHub. Happy forking. :)
https://github.com/KonstaT/sailfisho..._jolla_msm8930

I can write some instructions if someone is interested in building/booting custom kernels. It should be pretty basic stuff for anyone familiar with e.g. Android development (and the necessary tools are the same). From a brief chat I had with a Jolla engineer, flashing/booting a custom kernel image will result a permanent unlocked status (in bootloader?) and it will most likely void your warranty!

Edit. Stskeeps has cleared the situation in this post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=40

Flashing/booting a kernel image using fastboot is not possible without 'fastboot oem unlock', which will most likely void your warranty. Flashing a kernel image using root/developer mode is possible. Flashing kernel images to recovery partition instead should be more suitable for any possible experiments at least for now (until actual Jolla system recovery is added in a future update).

shmerl 2013-12-13 15:29

Why software changes can void hardware warranty? That was always puzzling to me. Can something actually break in the device from such thing?

rainisto 2013-12-13 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmerl (Post 1396045)
Why software changes can void hardware warranty? That was always puzzling to me. Can something actually break in the device from such thing?

Yes, you can for example compile kernel module that overclocks and fries the cpu.

nieldk 2013-12-13 16:04

Quote:

Yes
10 Chars

mscion 2013-12-13 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konsta (Post 1395881)
Requested and received. I've merged the Jolla kernel source release (kernel-adaptation-sbj-3.4.0.20131115.2) on top of tagged Qualcomm (Android) kernel release so that it's possible to view all Jolla specific changes. Only really major change I noticed in my first quick glance through it, was that they've backported btrfs (from linux-stable 3.5.7). Other than that, their changes are mostly hardware enablement related (display, touchscreen, camera, sensor, etc drivers). Stuff you'd see in any kernel source for any e.g. Android device. Vast majority of their (or their ODM's) changes are even commented (who, when, what) which is great compared to some other stuff I've seen. In general quite clean, though I (literally :P) see red when I see all those whitespaces.

I've pushed the source to my GitHub. Happy forking. :)
https://github.com/KonstaT/sailfisho..._jolla_msm8930

I can write some instructions if someone is interested in building/booting custom kernels. It should be pretty basic stuff for anyone familiar with e.g. Android development (and the necessary tools are the same). From a brief chat I had with a Jolla engineer, flashing/booting a custom kernel image will result a permanent unlocked status (in bootloader?) and it will most likely void your warranty!

I apologize if I don't quite understand the full meaning of your post but if you are able to provide instructions for porting Sailfish to an android phone I'd be happy to try. I have a Galaxy Note 1 and 2 and am willing to try even though it is likely that such port will have its share of problems. Anyways as I live in the US, it is unlikely a Jolla phone will be available in the near future, so this would give me an opportunity to share in the "fun". Thanks!

Konsta 2013-12-13 19:01

Quote:

Yeah, overclocking the CPU is the common excuse given even though in the rare cases that something bad happens, it's the NAND that fries. In theory you could change voltage given to any hardware component on the device and quite easily break any of them. I don't think it's ever anyone's intention though. Mostly people just like to have full control of their devices and building a linux kernel (being open source) is essential part of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1396070)
I apologize if I don't quite understand the full meaning of your post but if you are able to provide instructions for porting Sailfish to an android phone I'd be happy to try. I have a Galaxy Note 1 and 2 and am willing to try even though it is likely that such port will have its share of problems. Anyways as I live in the US, it is unlikely a Jolla phone will be available in the near future, so this would give me an opportunity to share in the "fun". Thanks!

Pretty sure I'm the wrong guy you're asking. :P Coming from Android development I have pretty much zero experience on Sailfish OS/Mer/Nemo/etc. I'm still looking into what it would take to port Sailfish OS to other Qualcomm hardware. There's certainly not too much documentation (or open sourced device configurations) on porting e.g Mer, which is where you'd most likely needed to start.

This kernel source is useful for Jolla device only. Jolla kernel being based on a regular Qualcomm Android kernel tells us though that the Android kernel you have for your device should already be just fine for porting Sailfish OS. There's probably some config options that you need to enable as Mer requirements, but any crazy driver porting shouldn't be necessary at least on the kernel side.

javispedro 2013-12-16 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainisto (Post 1396064)
Yes, you can for example compile kernel module that overclocks and fries the cpu.

This can be easily detected however -- via blown fuses. In fact, Qualcomm already blew a few ones after binning it that indicate the "max recommended speed" (aka castrate it).

javispedro 2013-12-19 23:17

There may indeed never be a way to flash a Jolla device -- see https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/413594939415859200 and ensuing discussion.

Unless there's some news in this regard, even chmoding the wrong directory will get you a Eur400 paperweight.

Sigh.

shmerl 2013-12-20 00:45

javispedro: I don't really get why they can't offer something similar to Moslo method. On Nexus 7 you can write Moslo first with fastboot, then boot into it, and it exposes the internal storage partition, which you can mount on regular Linux, format as any filesystem you want and trivially copy the OS image there. What prevents such kind of scenario in Jolla's case?

Out of all manufacturers, Jolla are simply expected to be open for this.

javispedro 2013-12-20 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmerl (Post 1398951)
Out of all manufacturers, Jolla are simply expected to be open for this.

Since the Jolla device uses what Replicant calls the most open source unfriendly SoC (why???) I would not be surprised they really are prevented from offering flashable images by them.

m4r0v3r 2013-12-20 01:21

We need a way to be able to flash to stock, I know after a month or two of tweaking the phone I'd need to flash clean.

shmerl 2013-12-20 01:36

javispedro: From that table it looks like Qualcomm is just "bad for freedom". It's a pity that their SoCs are becoming one of the most popular ones. May be next time Jolla should go with Intel already and get rid of all that ARM idiocy with no drivers and closed stuff.

MartinK 2013-12-20 01:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmerl (Post 1398958)
May be next time Jolla should go with Intel already and get rid of all that ARM idiocy with no drivers and closed stuff.

Well, even Intel could be problematic in this regard - see for example the Paulsbo disaster. On the other hand, their latest mobile systems fortunately seem to be using their own GPUs & open drivers. But I'm still not sure even the latest Intel mobile systems do the same things in the same power envelope as ARM based SOCs.

thedead1440 2013-12-20 02:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by javispedro (Post 1398936)
There may indeed never be a way to flash a Jolla device -- see https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/413594939415859200 and ensuing discussion.

Unless there's some news in this regard, even chmoding the wrong directory will get you a Eur400 paperweight.

Sigh.

I am just pleased I held off from pre ordering a device from a company that is truly open (TM). Even Android devices seem better than the myriad of nonsense one has to put up with Jolla and their dodging of important questions.

Not to mention the fanboys Jolla seems to have lingering around who defend the most indefensible things. At present, from rainisto's post, 2014 may see the release of flasher for developers (warranty void?) so another month(s) of waiting :)

/rant

shmerl 2013-12-20 04:49

I don't think Jolla folks are thrilled about using Qualcomm. But they chose it for some reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinK (Post 1398961)
On the other hand, their latest mobile systems fortunately seem to be using their own GPUs & open drivers. But I'm still not sure even the latest Intel mobile systems do the same things in the same power envelope as ARM based SOCs.

Well, Intel is playing the catch up game for a long time already. At some point they need to really catch up. Would be interesting to see if some handsets with Merrifield are coming out next year. I suspect Intel is the only chance to get Sailfish in the future running on native drivers without libhybris hacks. Can't say about flashing aspects and so on though. Some more info about Merrifield is supposed to be published in February.

rainisto 2013-12-20 05:38

We are working on solution where end user can reset their devices back to factory state, even if they have managed to get their devices filesystem in non bootable state (as long as btrfs works). That will most likely happen with custom recovery mode which will be installed at some coming update. More info will be available next year.

We are also investigating if we can offer real flashing solution without breaking device security, but for now the approach will most likely be to update recovery image which will allow resetting back to factory state (after querying devicelock code if that has been set).

ste-phan 2013-12-20 08:02

So for the time being we are driving through the desert without a spare tire?

"real flashing solution without breaking device security"

-> Just curious would be the disadvantage of broken security on this level?

Testing the Jolla for 1 week was a good opportunity to flash my daily productivity phone to a clean and up to date state.

nieldk 2013-12-20 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainisto (Post 1398979)
We are working on solution where end user can reset their devices back to factory state, even if they have managed to get their devices filesystem in non bootable state (as long as btrfs works). That will most likely happen with custom recovery mode which will be installed at some coming update. More info will be available next year.

We are also investigating if we can offer real flashing solution without breaking device security, but for now the approach will most likely be to update recovery image which will allow resetting back to factory state (after querying devicelock code if that has been set).

Thanks for the 'update' on this.
But, quite frankly, this is dissapointing news.
Initially this was expected to be a open device, based on the experience from Nokia and limitations.
Perhaps my Jolla will end up in my local museum for useless stuff.
Unless, of course, either Jolla comes up with a flashing solution and tools, factory images, including sources etc.
Or, I can use some less available Qualcomm tools to break this thing apart.

nieldk 2013-12-20 08:35

Just keeping this here for further hacking
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1856327

rainisto 2013-12-20 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ste-phan (Post 1399002)
So for the time being we are driving through the desert without a spare tire?

Yes currently the spare tire is the care centers flashing stations. But update is coming soon, which gives you factory spare tire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ste-phan (Post 1399002)
"real flashing solution without breaking device security"
-> Just curious would be the disadvantage of broken security on

The thing which we protect is that if you have set devicelock code and someone steals your device, then he/she is not able to wipe it clean for selling it off by reflashing without knowning your lockcode.

rainisto 2013-12-20 09:26

One vision would be to offer imei based certificate which would allow flashing your own devices that have been registered to your Jolla account. And that would most certainly be behind some warranty void submit button. But lets see what spring will bring us, upcoming rescue image should offer solution to recover from most of the basic booting problems.

javispedro 2013-12-20 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainisto (Post 1399021)
The thing which we protect is that if you have set devicelock code and someone steals your device, then he/she is not able to wipe it clean for selling it off by reflashing without knowning your lockcode.

To be honest, I think that Jolla needs to set its priorities straight. It is going to be so ironic (ironic at "head explodes" levels) if the company whose CEO encourages its users to install their OS on other devices is going to close the bootloader because of "device security", "evil Qualcomm made me do it", or some other inane reason.

MR. JOLLA, TEAR DOWN THIS LOCKED BOOTLOADER!

Oblomow 2013-12-20 09:50

Quote:

Honestly, if someone steals my phone I do not care much if that person is able to wipe and sell it, it's gone for me anyhow, it would not return just because the bootloader is locked, but would end up in a trashcan or sold in parts. Until thieves start to watch out specially for jollas there's still a long way to go...

The IMEI solution sounds nice, but a but complicated... is it possible that the user just sets a flag "allow free flashing y/n" and that it is disabled by default? I guess for many people here the risk of bricking is higher than the risk of theft.

rainisto 2013-12-20 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oblomow (Post 1399037)
Honestly, if someone steals my phone I do not care much if that person is able to wipe and sell it, it's gone for me anyhow, it would not return just because the bootloader is locked, but would end up in a trashcan or sold in parts. Until thieves start to watch out specially for jollas there's still a long way to go...

The IMEI solution sounds nice, but a but complicated... is it possible that the user just sets a flag "allow free flashing y/n" and that it is disabled by default? I guess for many people here the risk of bricking is higher than the risk of theft.

Most likely software updates will also bring your remote security features where you can track and hopefully retrieve your stolen devices. And that lockcode prevention is part of that story.

Users beeing able to set a flag which would allow bootloader unlock would be one idea, not making any promises, but putting it in drawing board along with imei based solution.

PS. Oh and forgot to mention that locked bootloader+lockcode combination is also protecting your data, so if someone steals your phone with company secrets then he is not able to access them (but with factory reset & lockcode combination device can be still wiped). Some people like that their secrets remain secret, but yes, some people dont care if their nosy wife or husband can spy them by bypassing the lockcode with bootloader commands.

javispedro 2013-12-20 10:23

Not even Apple with its überstrict bootloader disallows a "thief" from reflashing the device.

They'll even do it at the stores, for free, no questions asked. But for DIY guys, booting with "Home" button pressed will skip password, lock code, whatever and enter flashing mode.

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainisto (Post 1399040)
PS. Oh and forgot to mention that locked bootloader+lockcode combination is also protecting your data, so if someone steals your phone with company secrets then he is not able to access them (but with factory reset & lockcode combination device can be still wiped). Some people like that their secrets remain secret, but yes, some people dont care if their nosy wife or husband can spy them by bypassing the lockcode with bootloader commands.

Oh well. I can see the point there, though. Still, I think it is beyond doubt that a device should be reflasheable whether it has lock code or not.

Oblomow 2013-12-20 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainisto (Post 1399040)
Most likely software updates will also bring your remote security features where you can track and hopefully retrieve your stolen devices. And that lockcode prevention is part of that story.

Users beeing able to set a flag which would allow bootloader unlock would be one idea, not making any promises, but putting it in drawing board along with imei based solution.

Thank you for your answer, those are very valid points. However I think security measures should be optional so the user can decide what's valued more. Regarding data protecting, I'm using dm-crypt on my laptop for exactly the reasons you mentioned (minus nosy && linux-skilled partner :D), I feel however not too much reassured by a lock code & locked bootloader. At least jolla care can flash it and access my data, and so probably someone else at some point. Maybe the performance hit is too big atm for encryption on a mobile without hardware aes support, that's for example a thing I'd like to test at some point - but not if I'm risking to brick the device permanently. So a locked bootloader potentially may lower device security for me.

Fuzzillogic 2013-12-20 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainisto (Post 1398979)

I am unpleasantly surprised by this. With all the "open" claims, I did expect an open bootloader. Now I'm again at the mercy of a company on which OS my device runs.

Quote:

So, it's up to the pc-side software whether your jolla's data can be read? How would that provide any security?

I would expect full storage encryption for any new OS these days. Linux has support for it for a long time. And I'd rather have something quirky, like Aegis, than nothing.

rainisto 2013-12-20 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic (Post 1399108)
So, it's up to the pc-side software whether your jolla's data can be read? How would that provide any security?

That would not provide any security, so its not up to the pc-side software. And thats also going off topic from this thread. I'll just stop commenting on security details all together, so people can focus on how they can possible recover from possible bricks and if they will be able to unlock their bootloaders at some point.

ste-phan 2013-12-20 13:50

Quote:

Thanks for the information but no need.

If somebody is able to steal my phone, I hope he can wipe it , sell it and some service is able to track it down by IMEI number.

If not -and most likely- at least it doesn't need to be recycled , having my "personal little vengeance" on the thief become a burden on the environment.

Features I do expect.

-Full firmware flashing:
-Thief having to whipe my personal data if I had entered a security code.

I have no further expectations.

shmerl 2013-12-20 15:47

If someone gets a physical access to your device - you are already in a serious trouble. It's too late - the device is compromised and no locked bootloader will prevent nasty things. Same goes about desktop computers too. So this is hardly justifiable and always looks more like power grab than any real security reasons. In Jolla's case it's highly surprising. Having an open enough device was expected. Surely if some encryption is used it should be explicitly controlled by the user who sets it up (setting your own keys etc.). Otherwise this is completely not true:

Quote:

Will you support DRM

No.
https://sailfishos.org/wiki/QA

djselbeck 2013-12-20 16:23

Until Jolla opens up the bootloader I halt all my support for this closed platform.

No more updates on SMPC MPD Client and development stop of my MTB bicycle tracking application.

At this point if I support android, I support an more open platform.

Very sad that my device now just lays around and I cannot play with it over chistmas holidays

rainisto 2013-12-20 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmerl (Post 1399155)
Otherwise this is completely not true:
Quote:

Will you support DRM

No.

In mobile world there are only 2 DRM solutions widely adopted and they are: Microsoft PlayReady and Google Widevine. Jolla does not support neither of those currently -> So _NO_, there is no support for neither of the Digital Rights Management frameworks in the device currently.

If you think that DRM-term in mobile devices means something else then you have been eating wrong kind of mushrooms. All media files in device are unprotected and there is no Digital Rights Management frameworks device to protect media companies interest (well there are unix filesystem groups, but with developer mode its does not protect against malicious user). That is the current state of course if some media company makes native client for their media files, they might deploy their own DRM solution for example into TOH.

Stskeeps 2013-12-20 17:40

Okay, so, guys - here's the exact situation, with a large amount of gory technical details so you can understand what's going on too.

* Philosophy wise, we're into user privacy - protecting your private data against attackers, physical or applications - ie, not DRM (other people's rights..). When you've set a lock code, we try to protect your data as well as we can.

A way to see this is that I really wouldn't want my private conversations to be easily extractable because I put my phone into a malicious USB charger or a competitor stole my phone off the table in Amsterdam in Ruoholahti while I was getting a drink.

* The bootloader of the Jolla is 'little kernel' ("lk") which speaks the typical Android fastboot protocol, which has a open source flasher.

* There's three modes of booting:
- Normal booting - boot into 'boot' partition, which is a combined kernel + initrd + cmdline image
- Recovery booting (volume down + power on) - doesn't do anything at the moment as there's nothing in recovery but boots into 'recovery' partition (same format as boot)
- Fastboot mode (volume down + put USB in) - opens a fastboot session on USB that you can connect to with fastboot flasher

There's a few toggles in the device currently:
* Developer mode - which gives you full root on your device and it says, please note this: "this may void your warranty" - it does not say "this will void your warranty". The philosophy there is that if you break something with it, you get to keep both pieces - don't do anything stupid - like overwrite the boot loader, or use hardware parts beyond their specifications.
- It is possible to flash kernel, recovery, etc from within device as we do this in OTA updates. If you really have to hack, do it with recovery partition until the below is in place.

* OEM unlock - which determines if bootloader is open or not - no special code is required to unlock - just fastboot oem unlock, but the power comes with responsibility - and I'm not in any way as an employee recommending this.

Now - one of the things about breaking things is that you can glue things together and it's all good again - About recovery:

At an upcoming update (I cannot say which, because, until a feature is released, it can at any point be pulled and postponed), there will be a recovery partition installed that will 1) ask for your device lock code if you have one and 2) allow you to factory reset your device in case you've hacked it a bit too much ("unbootable brick" situation)

That recovery I'd like to improve in such a way that it enables users to do full system backup/restore from microSD and other useful bits that we've learnt from maemo times is just generally nice to have (BackupMenu, BootMenu, etc).

Now, about factory images.

The Jolla device has all it's system data on a eMMC, one big SD card practically. This is shared with the modem part and includes things like modem firmware and other bits (take a look at the 25+ GPT partitions!). The device factory image is a combination of SailfishOS, a Qualcomm Android hardware adaptation and modem bits. The hardware adaptation and modem bits are copyrighted by Qualcomm and are put in place by the factory partner - and Jolla cannot distribute those parts.

Due to a bit of a design flaw on my behalf that I hope to solve for future devices, our entire system is merged together in one big 'sailfish' BTRFS volume which makes it even harder to separate bad bits and 'good bits' and 'flash them seperately'

In practice, what this means, is that we cannot provide full factory images. And that sucks. But if we do a proper recovery, backup and restore possibilities, it takes care of a lot of the trouble.

I don't personally buy devices that can't be hacked. We started developing Sailfish on hackable devices - we know our roots. And I have one coming to me at full price - no rebates or special treatment.

Does this clear up the situation a bit? Device is open as is explained above, but, when you hack, you'll always want to be able to restore your device. And that's what I hope the recovery will sort out unless you really screw up the device. In which case it's your own fault.