maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Will there be a Symbian^4 or will Nokia respect asians once more? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=61650)

TiagoTiago 2010-09-03 09:54

Will there be a Symbian^4 or will Nokia respect asians once more?

S60 went from 3rd to 5th in respect to asians because "4" means bad luck to many asians, but now what will come after Symbian^3? ^4 or ^5

ps: read this https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...9#S60_editions

dchky 2010-09-03 10:10

Re: Will there be a Symbian^4 or will Nokia respect asians once more?

What? I've seen some unusual superstitions in my time, but software version numbers! Intriguing. I live in Asia - never heard that one before.

EDIT: Many websites claim what you say is true, though just as many say it isn't. You have a link to Nokia where they say this?

Symbian has a fairly long history now with many versions. I see no missing "4" anywhere in the list.

The N8 will be the first phone using Symbian ^3 - I haven't seen it in the wild yet.

Also S60 is not a symbian version number - it's a user interface version. Sony Ericsson use UIQ

OS 9.1 through to OS 9.5 - no point releases were left out.

TiagoTiago 2010-09-03 10:21

Quote:

S60 5th Edition
In October 2008, S60 5th Edition was launched. (Nokia decided to move from 3rd Edition directly to 5th Edition "as a polite gesture to Asian customers", because the number four means bad luck in some Asian cultures).

Quote:

Tetraphobia is an aversion to or fear of the number 4. It is a superstition most common in East Asian regions such as mainland China, island of Taiwan, Japan and Korea.

paddingpadding

dchky 2010-09-03 10:23

Was this an exam sir, I would fail you for citing wiki : )

Alright, I'll give you the superstition - Nokia use S60 quite extensively in marketing through Asia so I can believe it after looking at your links.

S60 is the UI, OS9.X was Symbian at the time they skipped the V4

TiagoTiago 2010-09-03 10:24

the Wikipedia pages linked in my post provide the sources for the contents in question

twigleaf1976 2010-09-03 10:27

Interesting thought, shame on Nokia for breaking international standards on software numbering though. (or indeed general numbering) Their version control must be a mess.

Shame on you indeed for quoting wiki, first rule of the interent, never quote wiki. :)

But interesting none the less.

dchky 2010-09-03 10:28

I guess Nokia owns Symbian these days so very probably they will skip ^4 - I think they are still busy getting ^3 ready for the N8 so it'll be a while before they start thinking about the next iteration.

Anyway, don't take my negativity personally, I don't live in one of the Asian countries that have the aversion to 4 - here it's 13.

I stand corrected : )

jsa 2010-09-03 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by dchky (Post 806073)
Was this an exam sir, I would fail you for citing wiki : )

Alright, I'll give you the superstition - Nokia use S60 quite extensively in marketing through Asia so I can believe it after looking at your links.

S60 is the UI, OS9.X was Symbian at the time they skipped the V4

Also if you look at Nokia phone model numbers, there are only 5 models out of over 300 that contain 4 in model number. And that's not likely to change with the new numbering scheme, which also jumps from 3 to 5.

Symbian, however will have a ^4 version. I don't know whether Nokia plans to use that in advertising in the region though.

ndi 2010-09-03 12:37

Next year it enters beta?

pwm 2010-09-03 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ou_oliver (Post 806111)
Ipod nano's number system goes backward.

1.3.1 (1st Generation)
1.1.3 (2nd Generation)
1.1.3 (3rd Generation)
1.0.4 (4th Generation)
1.0.2 (5th Generation)

Seems like they restarted from 1.0.0 for each new generation. But all the time getting a bit better (by having a larger code base to begin with), they then have needed fewer bug fixes before reaching a stable release.