maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   News (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   WiMAX Internet Tablet Update (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=15593)

Reggie 2008-01-23 21:18

WiMAX Internet Tablet Update

Quote:

Here's more proof of the upcoming WiMAX enabled Internet Tablet. It seems like Nokia is working with Alvartion Ltd., and Cisco, and Mocano Telecom on establishing a Center of Excellence on WiMAX aiming to provide cosumers VoIP, streaming video, and an always on-line experience through their mobile device. Alvarion is bringing in their 4Motion Open WiMAX solution, Cisco is providing seamless WiMAX mobile integration via their Broadband Wireless Gateway, Nokia is bringing in a WiMAX 2.5GHz compatible Internet Tablet, and Monaco Telecom is experimenting on the solution at Tunisia. According to Ari Virtanen, Vice President, Convergence Products at Nokia:Working with Alvarion, Cisco and Monaco Telecom is a great step towards making Mobile WiMAX available for consumers and fits perfectly with our strategy of offering a broad and innovative portfolio of devices.In the US, WiMAX will be via Sprint's XOHM. Expect the new internet tablet sometime April - May. Read the full article.
Read the full article.

Kozzi 2008-01-23 21:29

Re: WiMAX Internet Tablet Update

Quote:

Expect the new internet tablet sometime April - May
N900 with WiMAX, OMAP3430, D-pad on left and buttons on right , higher quality webcam and FM-tuner included ? :eek:

phi 2008-01-23 21:30

or it could just be a add-on/refresh...like when they hyped OS2006 as a new tablet...

CyberCat 2008-01-23 22:12

Oh dang, and I just bought my N810 last week. =(

bartsimpson123844 2008-01-23 22:14

Sweet; I am really hoping for a new internet tablet. Something that is considerably better than the current version hopefully.

CyberCat 2008-01-24 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kozzi (Post 132695)
N900 with WiMAX, OMAP3430, D-pad on left and buttons on right , higher quality webcam and FM-tuner included ? :eek:

For me, the "perfect tablet" would have all the features of the N810 plus:

- WiMax
- OMAP3430
- IR send/receiver (so it could be a universal remote)
- Front-facing 2-4 megapixel camera with video capture
- 256+MB RAM
- Two SDHC slots like the N800
- An alt key (just replace one of the shift keys)
- Video out (maybe microDVI?)
- 2 left/right d-pads and/or low profile analog sticks (would be great for gaming!)
- FM radio
- Bluetooth PAN/DUN

...all in the same form factor with same battery life. Well I can dream.. :rolleyes:

gemniii42 2008-01-24 01:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCat (Post 132779)
<snip>
...all in the same form factor with same battery life. Well I can dream.. :rolleyes:

C'mon make that at least twice the battery life with a little built in hand crank!!
Plus teleportation.

Texrat 2008-01-24 05:34

Yeah, I just learned the new model name today. It's not what anyone would guess. :D

adsum ignotus 2008-01-24 05:48

The N(friggin sweet) perhaps?

Hagar 2008-01-24 05:49

OK, Texrat, you have our attention.....
What's it?