maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Elections] HiFo Board of Directors election announcement (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90304)

fw190 2013-06-28 09:31

Re: [Elections] HiFo Board of Directors election announcement

Lets hope that there were more votes than the number of confirmation posts here ;)

juiceme 2013-06-28 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw190 (Post 1355306)
Lets hope that there were more votes than the number of confirmation posts here ;)

In both last elections there were only about 70 voters or so, I'd expect the number to be about same.
(which is faaar too few, but what can you do about it?)

anthonie 2013-06-28 09:52

I hadn't seen the numbers, but it kind of surprises me, considering the strong feelings people here have, not only about their (choice of) devices but also on TMO in general. That combined with the amount of members, I would've thought more people would vote.

Last chance today! Go vote if you haven't done so. It's important. Elop might just kill all of our bunnies if you don't!

peterleinchen 2013-06-28 12:03

BUMP it up.

fw190 2013-06-28 12:12

70 people last time maybe more this time ;)

It is just online voting, you don't have to go somehwere to vote. Just a few clicks away.

Last call for voters! Step up!

pichlo 2013-06-28 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw190 (Post 1355331)
It is just online voting, you don't have to go somehwere to vote. Just a few clicks away.

I guess most people around here are members of TMO but not maemo.org. That distinction is not made very clear. And once people grok it, they may go a number of ways. They can say screw it, I've been on TMO for X years but now I have to create another account just for voting? Bah. Or they can go and create one and then get another surprise like I did. So what have you left? A few old-timers and a handful of the highly determined, that's all.

[OT]The whole maemo.org website is a mess IMO. I have a shiny new garage account: now what next? Is it all I need or are there more accounts to register? How do I link my garage to my TMO account? How do I log out, FFS? Even after I find the Log Out button (which is very well hidden, BTW), the damn thing still shows my full name in the top right corner. (Rhetorical questions, for illustration only. Please let's not derail the thread by starting answering them.)[/OT]

joerg_rw 2013-06-28 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1355349)
[...][OT]The whole maemo.org website is a mess IMO. I have a shiny new garage account: now what next? Is it all I need or are there more accounts to register? How do I link my garage to my TMO account? How do I log out, FFS? Even after I find the Log Out button (which is very well hidden, BTW), the damn thing still shows my full name in the top right corner. (Rhetorical questions, for illustration only. Please let's not derail the thread by starting answering them.)[/OT]

Answering nevertheless: That mess is what you get when way too few maintainers try to keep the wreck alive that's maemo.org after 2 migrations and several months of prepare-for-shutdown mode. Thus answering is not all that OT, since those elections are about who's taking care to keep *.m.o alive, and they are as well about the interest in community at large to stay alive itself and keep maemo.org alive. Let me put this utterly clear: who can't be ar*ed to bother about voting shouldn't feel surprised when eventually *.m.o goes down for good.
On the logout: I failed to find *any* logout button, please post me in PM where you found it. You get a session cookie that's your 'login', so to logout you either close your browser or you delete that cookie. The logout button either never been there or it got killed during migration. Techstaff is aware of the issue. Please see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=71

Thanks
/j

PS: on purpose I'm not answering next post #48, since that would completely derail this thread which was what we originally tried to avoid. Sorry answering to pichlo in here rather than over at that other thread where I've been asking for maintainers.

anthonie 2013-06-28 14:25

So, how do we organize this "household" then? Truth be spoken, I am at a stage of my life right now where, at times, I am utterly unreliable.

That being said, there probably are things I could do to help TMO continue, I just don't know what they are. So, how do we/I know what tasks are open?

Is there a list somewhere with tasks that demand attention? If so, can't we make that into a thread where people could "sign in" (I know it sounds naive, but I am trying to break some grounds here) on tasks they feel they can carry out? Or where tasks could be split?

Of course, I am aware that we are a big forum here, with lots of members. For me. the "can't be ar*ed thing" is mostly about not being able to do meetings at a set time and on a frequent basis. But I am sure that there must be lots of little tasks as well, that might be suitable. And I believe that with so many members here, there must be more people that like me, feel they could get a small task assigned and carry out those tasks, without feeling obliged to more time consuming activities?

The Wizard of Huz 2013-06-28 19:39

Well, you have to have or create a maemo.org account as opposed to talk.maemo.org account and that one has to be older than 3 months. Or you have to mail an admin and proof that you are no newbie. Maybe those extra steps is keeping people away?
It is best to make voting as easy as possible. How about using the TMO account instead of maemo.org account?

joerg_rw 2013-06-28 19:52

talk.maemo.org is no true genuine part of maemo.org (formerly it been internettablettalk.com). Users of t.m.o are not expecting to get mailed with any election related stuff. Account names on t.m.o and garage may differ and we have no way to correlate them. We would even miss out on the users that have garage account only (I for one had no tmo account for time of first two elections I participated).
We can't solve all those problems.

Membership in maemo community always been defined as "has a (garage.)maemo.org account"
Sorry for the inconvenience.

/j

PS: we've sent out 6k-and-some token mails, as only so few of our 83k garage users qualified for participating in election. If only 1% of those who got a token mail are willing to actually vote, then I dunno how to help.
PPS: just to make a point here: last time I checked, tmo user count is just ~75% of garage user count.

The Wizard of Huz 2013-06-28 20:27

How about actively letting people know that they need an garage.maemo.org to be member and to vote. Maybe put a banner on top after election? (I am not being sarcastic, just asking)
Now most people assume they are one and the same, and consider them selves member of maemo.org while they are really only member of the forum,TMO. That is what I thought until recently. And I visit TMO daily.

joerg_rw 2013-06-29 03:57

Me and all Council likes to give new BoD a heartly welcome and thanks all community members who bothered to vote.
I think I already expressed to each of new BoD in direct conversation what outstanding great team you are and how happy I am to see you all in BoD. There's no doubt HiFo will get a great new start with such brilliant crew.

http://maemo.org/vote/results.php?election_id=32

Formal welcome and introduction of the new BoD members: Saturday 29th June 16:00UTC, #maemo-meeting on IRC:freenode.net

jOERG
(councilor)
[[thanks pichlo! I'm not at 100% due to missing coffee]]

qwazix 2013-06-29 10:04

Congratulations to all new BoD members!

see you at the meeting

GeneralAntilles 2013-06-29 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz (Post 1355436)
How about actively letting people know that they need an garage.maemo.org to be member and to vote. Maybe put a banner on top after election? (I am not being sarcastic, just asking)

Perhaps we could send out a site-wide PM on Talk to tell where and how they need to register to be able to participate in elections.

joerg_rw 2013-06-29 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 1355584)
Perhaps we could send out a site-wide PM on Talk to tell where and how they need to register to be able to participate in elections.

Regie made utterly clear that we're not supposed to do any mass mailing on "his" ITT / TMO userbase

what we *could* do however is a BIG FAT banner that shows up for everybody and needs per-user click away to vanish

/j

peterleinchen 2013-06-29 17:19

I am here since some time.
And one of the first things I did (okay, took me 2-3 months ;)) was to register also on garage.maemo.org.
So I think the info is out there and especially made clear on last board voting.

But I agree to joerg's proposal :)

Jaffa 2013-06-30 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by joerg_rw (Post 1355588)
Regie made utterly clear that we're not supposed to do any mass mailing on "his" ITT / TMO userbase

However it has been done in the past. One of the previous elections, when I was Council chair, Reggie kindly allowed me access to the user database. I then correlated the registered email addresses and nicks with a dump of the Garage user DB (provided by dneary/X-Fade).

This list was then given back to Reggie and he did an administrator PM to them, pointing them to Link talk.maemo.org account with maemo.org profile.

Another option is to include it in the TMO welcome emails and/or get new accounts synced automatically - but that assumes a significant portion of future users are yet to exist.

Jaffa 2013-06-30 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by joerg_rw (Post 1355473)
Me and all Council likes to give new BoD a heartly welcome and thanks all community members who bothered to vote.

Thanks Joerg. I've pasted your announcement to maemo-community.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maemo.org/vote
Winners are Craig Woodward (Woody14619), Ryan Abel (GeneralAntilles), Andrew Flegg (Jaffa), Rüdiger Schiller (chemist), and Gido Griese (Win7Mac).