maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Development (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Qt SDK inside VMware - how to connect to N9 ? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87680)

helex 2012-11-02 11:10

Qt SDK inside VMware - how to connect to N9 ?

Hi!

I'm rebuilding my development environment and to have finally a more clean system my plan is to put every SDK in a own VM using VMware. It works so far great but sadly I have some issues with mobile development. I'm unable to see the via USB to the host connected Nokia N9 in my VMware environment.

My host (Windows 7 64bit) IP is 192.168.0.6, the IP of my VMware (Windows 7 32bit) is 192.168.0.103 - the to the host connected N9 has 192.168.2.15

I'm able to ping the N9 from my host system but it is not visible inside the VM. :confused:

Any ideas, has anybody got this constellation working?

mr_pingu 2012-11-02 13:45

Re: Qt SDK inside VMware - how to connect to N9 ?

Use network driver: bridged
You can find this under Virtual Machine Settings (ctrl + D)
This way the VM will get direct acces to your network and not throug NAT, this might solve your situation.

helex 2012-11-02 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_pingu (Post 1288979)
Use network driver: bridged
You can find this under Virtual Machine Settings (ctrl + D)
This way the VM will get direct acces to your network and not throug NAT, this might solve your situation.

Thanks, but sadly this did not worked. :(

I'm able to connect via WiFi, in this case the N9 has the IP 192.168.0.108. But if I connect it via USB the IP is 192.168.2.15.

I need to route somehow from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.2.x and I don't know how. :confused:
The 192.168.2.15 is only visible at the desktop I have connected the device to. If I could make it public within my private network it should work for the N9 (and my other mobile devices which has the same problems)

munozferna 2012-11-02 16:09

Try to connect the N9 to the VM and not to the host system.

helex 2012-11-02 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by munozferna (Post 1289037)
Try to connect the N9 to the VM and not to the host system.

It's not visible over there. My other device (a BlackBerry) gets instantly grabbed by the host and if I try to connect it to the VM I get the error that the device is already in use. But this option is even not available at the N9.

Fuzzillogic 2012-11-02 17:40

You have the Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack installed? You can patch through USB devices to the VM. It's as if you plug in USB devices directly into the VM. FWIW, I've used it recently to crack/root an Android device with it.

Zvjer 2012-11-02 18:20

Helex,

I'm sorry if my answer will not be as precise as you asked but please read: When I started N9 development, I asked my dear friend N950 developer for help with USB problems. He asked me "Why do You use USB?" and ofcourse I did not know that there is a WiFi option.

So I setup a fixed DHCP based IP address for my N9 on my router (although it never changed before) and setup WiFi link between N9 and Nokia QT SDK.

So when I write code and want to test it, I just press the play (build&run) button in SDK and the app compiles, transfer to N9 via WiFi, installs automatically and runs on N9 with open debug link back to SDK on my PC.

So I sugest that is the most pleasant way to use SDK in my opinion. The only problem is that I did not use the "developer" account but "user" account in order to make the best possible simulation of real world scenario.

reinob 2012-11-02 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by helex (Post 1288933)
Hi!

I'm rebuilding my development environment and to have finally a more clean system my plan is to put every SDK in a own VM using VMware. It works so far great but sadly I have some issues with mobile development. I'm unable to see the via USB to the host connected Nokia N9 in my VMware environment.

My host (Windows 7 64bit) IP is 192.168.0.6, the IP of my VMware (Windows 7 32bit) is 192.168.0.103 - the to the host connected N9 has 192.168.2.15

I'm able to ping the N9 from my host system but it is not visible inside the VM. :confused:

Any ideas, has anybody got this constellation working?

Not sure how USB networking works on the N9, but surely there's a way to set the IP address there.

Your problem is, as you hint below, that the IP address assigned to the USB network (N9 <-> PC-USB) is on a different subnet than your other (WLAN, VM) addresses.

The other solution would be to tweak the routing the table. With Windows that's a pretty complicated task.

Zvjer 2012-11-02 18:30

As I said on twitter, you should bridge all your VMs with the host machine. In this way, all Your network devices are in the same subnet, and all of them will be reachable. I use VMware only in this mode.

helex 2012-11-02 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zvjer (Post 1289102)
I'm sorry if my answer will not be as precise as you asked but please read: When I started N9 development, I asked my dear friend N950 developer for help with USB problems. He asked me "Why do You use USB?" and ofcourse I did not know that there is a WiFi option.

Yes, this would solve the problem I have at the N9 and Nokia C7. The only drawback would be the unstable WiFi connection I have here (need to manually disconnect and reconnect every 20 to 30 minutes at my N9)
But I have a BlackBerry DevAlpha here, too. I have with it the same issues but at this device the only possible development mode is via the USB connection. I never got it via WiFi working and the IP Adress is very different: 169.254.0.1

So if I could solve the network routing issue if I connect my N9 via USB the chance is big to use the same solution for the BlackBerry device.

The point of all this VM stuff is I wan't to seperate all SDK's I have on my system each in their own installation to minimize problems with the different environments, to do some testing without breaking everything and to avoid to slow down my host because of Qt4, Qt5, BB10 Beta, the Jolla SDK later this year, the old no longer maintained symbian stuff...