maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   News (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Internet radio devices -- what a good/bad idea (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=8665)

RogerS 2007-08-09 14:08

Internet radio devices -- what a good/bad idea

Quote:

In the New York Times this morning, a longish article about e-books begins with discussion of the Sony Reader, a proprietary, monocolor, non-WiFi, non-programmable e-book reader that nowsells for $299.

Or you can read e-books on your Nokia Internet Tablet using the open-source FBReader. Price: $359.

David Pogue, the Times' star technology columnist, writes about internet radio devices, single-function handhelds enabling you to listen to music over the internet without being tethered to a desktop or lugging around a huge laptop. Prices: Revo Pico $350, Terratec Noxon $330, Roku SoundBridge Internet Radio $300, and so on.

Or you could listen to the same stations on your NIT. While reading an e-book in FBReader.

The devilishly well-executed iPod seems to have misled everyone into regarding single-function devices as viable -- single-function e-readers, single-function internet radios. But when you see how poorly every single-function music carryaround fares compared to the iPod, you realize that execution -- usability, design, stylishness -- carried Apple over the single-function barrier and not that no such barrier exists.

Then there's the opposite phenomenon: the companies that treat you like all you want is a phone or PDA and everything operates from there.

Different misconception: that we love every single thing we do being monetized by greedy mega-companies.

In Pogue's column about internet radio, he points out that it's so hard to tolerate commercial radio because of all the commercials. "These days, it seems as though AM radio has 52 minutes of ads an hour," he writes.

So one of the lures of the single-function internet radio device is simply to restore the balance of pleasure against monetization of music. The New York Times is preparing to abandon its Times Select pay service because it has discovered (finally!) that we readers can find just as entertaining writers are all over the web without charge.

If there's a course to be charted between the Scylla of single-function and the Charybdis of one-device-for-everything, Nokia seems to be following it: The internet tablets do several related things really well, with the form of its devices (no hard disk, super-high-res screen that's 800 pixels wide, under 8 ounces) rigorously matching the real needs while keeping every possible subsidiary use available (e-books, chess, even spreadsheets and word processing for goodness' sake) without charging for it.
Read the full article.

pipeline 2007-08-10 01:07

Re: Internet radio devices -- what a good/bad idea

Great article.

i am amazed at how much redundancy i see i all my devices. I have a gps that has cpu/memory/display, then i have psp which has cpu/memory/display + gpu, then theres pdas (which i no longer use), ebook readers, ipods, and other items you mentioned. (As a side note they all have apparently incompatible power adapters so i own every variety of dc and ac adapter and plugs known to mankind... except the one i'll need next.)

Your article makes a good statement at product marketing being centered around applications but what if it were centered around form factors which incorporate every technically feasable feature for that particular form factor.

I think my perfect blend of devices would be to have an emergency microformfactor cellphone/ipphone/internetradio/gps device which i could connect to common voip account... daily use would probably be a n800 type device doing everything but limited to maybe 1280x720 on a 5-6" screen (no wasted packaging)... when at home i might lug around a larger thin screen/tablet which can do just about everthing yet still be solid state so weaker... and finally power computer/video processor/server with no real limits... this could also be a server to the other computers. Since i'm into home automation it would also adjust lighting when come home, control other appliances/devices.

Developers would then need common runtime environments across each form factor.... like java or .net runtime and target that screen size. With linux becoming more important/utilized for these new breed devices they will need to all be compatible (at least within each form factor).

Ok enough of everyone else just give me 1280x720 with 3d games like pc (cant carry around 50 diffent optical discs like psp) i guess you could fit a keyboard and psp style thumbstick or trackball into it, and make permanent 4g net connectivity, and built in gps... and provide me a software api like java or .net where i can run 1000s of (possibly pre-built) programs. I'll just take that and my server/power computer and be ok.

iball 2007-08-10 01:30

Well, I've found the Internet Radio application on my Nokia N95 to be more stable than internet radio streaming on my N800.
I've let it play for 6 hours non-stop on my N95 once and it NEVER skipped/dropped out whereas on the N800 it can only go for about 30 minutes without erroring out completely.

But for eBook reading the N800 cannot be beat.

FirebirdFeuervogel 2007-08-10 03:54

I love the Internet Tablets, and I agree that the whole multi-device function and feature overlap is a bit sickening. There is one thing that I think this article, while pretty great, overlooks though. Simplicity. Any single-function device is a lot simpler and easier to use than a complex multi-function device. Especially when that multifuction device is a 770 or n800 internet tablet. While articles like this really make n800's seem like such a brilliant choice considering all the money youd save by having such a flexible device, it really only applies to you if you are tech savy. No it doesn't take a genius to use or install things on a Internet Tablet, but your average person would find it daunting and distasteful. People like to buy their electronics, turn them on, and have them do exactly what they bought them for. Linux is scary. People without an affinity for computers or electronics could quickly become frustrated by the quirks of the tablets when trying to expand their functionality. Yes the n800 does internet radio out of the box. But it takes some trickery to get certain kinda streams to work, and this and that. I'd definitely recommend the n800 to anyone i knew who wanted to get an internet radio device, but it isn't too hard to see why people arn't rushing to the stores to grab n800's so they can listen to the radio. With a UI overhaul and a marketing epiphany, and the inclusion of certain software with the unit (mplayer, fbreader, even though i guess that might cause lisence issues?) maybe.

mobiledivide 2007-08-10 05:15

I was listening to SomaFM and using FBreader earlier on today and then decided to skip across to the internet and came across this blog post. Gave me a chuckle then I just switched tasks and continued reading. I agree though it would be nice if the device were a little more novice oriented.

neubie 2007-08-10 16:52

The form factor is great.

The CPU seems underpowered. (They "stepped up" from the 770 when they should have 'leaped"- a big opportunity lost!)

Word processing? Where's the word processing?!

It's been said a kazillion times, but if Nokia would just pre-pack a software suite similar to Palm and stop trying to avoid the term "PDA", they'd have an instant pool of potential customers who have no upgrade path available to them.

zvezdec 2007-08-10 19:04

I bought N800 exactly as alternative to Sony Reader. In addition to reading e-books I received the whole world of Linux. Which I don't really need. And I would happily buy Sony if it wouldn't be so damn expensive ($500 at the time) - relatively to its pitiful feature set. It's lighter, e-ink technology is amazing and power management rocks.

So it really comes down to the question of target markets and pricing. There is a lot of people who would buy single-function device if price suits them and its main function is great.

It's all Econ 101 stuff, nothing more.

Toontje 2007-08-11 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirebirdFeuervogel (Post 67240)
No it doesn't take a genius to use or install things on a Internet Tablet....
<snip>
.... With a UI overhaul and a marketing epiphany, and the inclusion of certain software with the unit (mplayer, fbreader, even though i guess that might cause lisence issues?) maybe.

Nokia, are you listening? I think it's time to come up with the Nokia N800 Entertainment Pack. Just bundle the best apps found on in the Garage and the best content on the web (radio stations, video streams, news portals, RSS feeds, etc), stick them on an SD card (512Mb should be more than sufficient) and sell them for € 29,95 as Nokia N800 Entertainment Pack from the Nokia website.

Ton.

geneven 2007-08-12 18:53

I was just thinking about the one-device per function idea, and a cartoon showing someone with multipocketed utility pants, saying

"here's my ipod, here's my book reader, here's my gps, here's my cell phone, here's my calculator, here's my...
Oh my gosh! I forgot my wallet!"

thetechnogeek 2007-08-13 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by zvezdec (Post 67502)
I bought N800 exactly as alternative to Sony Reader. In addition to reading e-books I received the whole world of Linux. Which I don't really need. And I would happily buy Sony if it wouldn't be so damn expensive ($500 at the time) - relatively to its pitiful feature set. It's lighter, e-ink technology is amazing and power management rocks.

Interesting views here- I actually have an N800 and the Sony eBook reader, and I see them as devices with very separate and defined functions... sure, you can read eBooks on the wonderful N800 display, but will the battery last a 24hr flight to Oz? And then a 3 week holiday after that without needing to worry about taking a charger? The Sony is fantastic at the job it's designed to do, and IMO is a great example of where a more convergent device does a poorer job.

The N800 on the other hand... what a fantastic device, and I absolutely love mine for browsing, email, news, Skype, Messenger etc. But... it's a terrible movie player and the audioo quality ain't that great. Am I complaining? Hell no- the N800 is great at what it's (broadly) designed to do. For movies, I have my Archos 605 Wifi :D

So... I have three devices, all with decent screens (in their own way), all with decent battery life (by their class standards), and all brilliant at the job they were designed to do, but limited when pressed into serving a purpose they weren't designed for. And I can pretty much carry a library of 1000 books, 30 films, and a world of connectivity in one hand. Personally I don't think I'll see a single device that does all of these things as well as the individual devices do for a good 10 years.