maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   BlackBerry will stop manufacturing or designing its smartphones (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=97665)

robthebold 2016-09-28 13:58

BlackBerry will stop manufacturing or designing its smartphones

Buried within this quarterly report from BlackBerry, is this bullet point under "Q2 Highlights":

Quote:

Entered into a licensing agreement with telecom joint venture in Indonesia, BB Merah Putih, to manufacture, distribute and promote BlackBerry-branded devices running BlackBerry's secure Android software and applications
And in the Q2 Results, the CEO says:

Quote:

The company plans to end all internal hardware development and will outsource that function to partners. This allows us to reduce capital requirements and enhance return on invested capital,
So, like Nokia they'll just be -- um -- writing quarterly reports instead of making phones. They've sure fallen a long way since the days they called BlackBerries "CrackBerries" because of their addictive nature, and we used such terms as "BlackBerry Prayer" for the posture users took in meetings when they were looking down at their screens just below the conference table instead of doing whatever business people are supposed to be pretending to do in meetings.

NokiaFanatic 2016-09-28 14:24

Re: BlackBerry will stop manufacturing or designing its smartphones

There were quite a few devs here who left after Elopcalypse to go to develop for the Blackberry 10 OS. Wonder how they're feeling now, abandoned yet again.

Very sad day. Personally, I never understood the love for Blackberry, but many did and they provided an alternative. With them gone, there is no longer an option to buy a smartphone with a qwerty keyboard.

Bundyo 2016-09-28 14:33

Well, their outsourced Android devices would probably continue to have keyboards.

NokiaFanatic 2016-09-28 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1515752)
So, like Nokia they'll just be -- um -- writing quarterly reports instead of making phones.

Only 1/3 of blackberry's revenue is making hardware these days. New strategy will be to sell software/services.

NokiaFanatic 2016-09-28 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 1515757)
Well, their outsourced Android devices would probably continue to have keyboards.

I don't think so. It was the internal Blackberry hardware team that made their devices with physical keyboards. No reference designs exist in China for keyboard devices, and I can't see anyone bothering to make one either. If we ever see a new Blackberry, it'll probably be a nasty cheapo yoke from Shenzhen with no keyboard.

gerbick 2016-09-28 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 1515757)

As much as it would perhaps excite some portion of the membership here if that were true, most of their next designs seem to be of the standard-fare keyboardless variety.

gerbick 2016-09-30 01:08

Well... damn. Guess I need to rescind my prior comment. Looks like BlackBerry will continue to release devices with physical keyboards after all... Bundyo, buy lottery tickets. NOW.

pichlo 2016-09-30 06:16

That's nice, but why is that keyboard vertical? :confused::confused::confused:

gerbick 2016-09-30 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1515847)
That's nice, but why is that keyboard vertical?

Are you not aware of the BlackBerry Priv?

pichlo 2016-09-30 06:41

I am. The question stands.