maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   JollaC & Intex Aqua Fish (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Location without cell id (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99576)

jalomann 2017-07-08 07:39

Location without cell id

I asked the same on TJC. Does somebody know a smart work around to get position when hiking in Lapland?

GPS location service doesn't work without cell tower ID. If I select Location and Device-only mode and set the phone in flight mode, GPS won't work. I assumed that would take longer to get fix but if flight mode is on, it won't ever get fix.

Is there a work around to get GPS only working?

Intex on version 2.1.0.11

juiceme 2017-07-08 12:06

Re: Location without cell id

That's odd, I'd imagine GPS works well without cellular connectivity; only acquiring lock takes a lot longer.

I think your problem is that aeroplane mode shuts down receivers as well as transmitters. Retry your test by leaving phone in normal mode but without simcard.

jalomann 2017-07-08 12:54

Ou Yes. GPS gets the fix when I remove the sim card - even when wlan is off.

pichlo 2017-07-09 07:56

That is odd indeed. GPS is receive only and should not be affected by the airplane mode. I would consider it a bug and report it to Jolla.

nieldk 2017-07-09 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1530353)
That is odd indeed. GPS is receive only and should not be affected by the airplane mode. I would consider it a bug and report it to Jolla.

Not completely odd.
Some Airlines still requires you to turn off any radio transmitters AND receivers.

pichlo 2017-07-09 09:19

Really? Any idea why?
I guess it would have made sense in 1957 when superhets emitted a continuous tone but we are now a few years behind that.

juiceme 2017-07-09 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1530355)
Really? Any idea why?
I guess it would have made sense in 1957 when superhets emitted a continuous tone but we are now a few years behind that.

Well the first stage mixer in modern receivers *does* leak out the PLL output, it is fairly low power but still... airlines tend to be fairly paranoid in these things.

Heck, last time I flew they told me I could not take pictures during landing/takeoff with my trusty old canon 10D DSLR!
Lucky I had my even trustier Pentax K1000 manual film SLR with me; when I explained the lady that this camera has no batteries whatsoever and works with springs and levers I was allowed to use it :eek:

pichlo 2017-07-10 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1530406)
Well the first stage mixer in modern receivers *does* leak out the PLL output

Yes, about as much as a digital watch. Heck, every electronic device has some kind of oscillator and leaks some amount of radio waves. This paranoia is really out of hand.