maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Can't Boot Completely - Gets Stuck at Blinking White Dot Pattern (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84630)

ArchiMark 2012-05-31 23:05

Can't Boot Completely - Gets Stuck at Blinking White Dot Pattern

Hope someone can please advise....

N900 was working fine...or at least appeared to be....

I shutdown N900, but today when I tried to boot it up, it seems to get 'stuck' at the part where the screen is black and you see the horizontal row of several blinking tiny little white dots.

Have waited for quite awhile for it to get past that part, but it doesn't, seems to get stuck there and so display doesn't change, just see the blinking white dots...

Any way to 'clear this' or do I need to reflash?

:confused:

Thanks!

MINKIN2 2012-05-31 23:21

Re: Can't Boot Completely - Gets Stuck at Blinking White Dot Pattern

No real fix other than a reflash IIRC?

I had this once many moons ago, after downloading a buch of apps all at once. The phone started to lag so I gave it a reboot, my only guess was rootfs had became full and could no longer boot?

ArchiMark 2012-05-31 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 (Post 1215719)
No real fix other than a reflash IIRC?

I had this once many moons ago, after downloading a buch of apps all at once. The phone started to lag so I gave it a reboot, my only guess was rootfs had became full and could no longer boot?

Was afraid of that....

I thought about rootfs space issue, but I had just recently deleted some apps, to free up more space....go figure....

:)

MINKIN2 2012-05-31 23:30

You post actually had me checking rootfs space too, 40mb free. I had better be careful too, lol.

Hope you get it sorted ok mate.

geneven 2012-05-31 23:30

You might have to flash., If you have used backupmenu lately, you can be back to normal in no time. First, though, make sure your battery is completely charged, using something other than your N900 to charge it, because this could just be a matter of recovering from that condition. Rebooting with a fully charged battery might get you past the dots.

misterc 2012-06-01 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchiMark (Post 1215716)
Hope someone can please advise....

N900 was working fine...or at least appeared to be....

I shutdown N900, but today when I tried to boot it up, it seems to get 'stuck' at the part where the screen is black and you see the horizontal row of several blinking tiny little white dots.

Have waited for quite awhile for it to get past that part, but it doesn't, seems to get stuck there and so display doesn't change, just see the blinking white dots...

Any way to 'clear this' or do I need to reflash?

:confused:

Thanks!

had a situation recently too where my N900 didn't want to start up any more neither.
i'm on GNU / Linux thus don't usually have LostDOS around (except @ work :() but for some reason had that started up & running that evening, so i tried to connect the N900 to that...
it took the PC (with se7en 64bit) a connection to recognize the N900 but after that NOKIA Suite (i had installed a few months ago to upgrade N8 to Belle) kuicked in and the N900 started up :D

if you have a PC with NOKIA Suite handy, it might be worse a try...

Estel 2012-06-01 00:14

+1 to what geneven said. Backupmenu is absolute lifesaver in such situations, and if you haven't had it (and habit of doing backups often) before, be sure to install it, after You set everything up on device, after sad reflash.

/Estel

ArchiMark 2012-06-01 02:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 (Post 1215724)
You post actually had me checking rootfs space too, 40mb free. I had better be careful too, lol.

Hope you get it sorted ok mate.

Hmmm.....As I recall, I had 48MB free and thought I better free up some more space. So, deleted a few apps I didn't really use....

ArchiMark 2012-06-01 02:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneven (Post 1215725)
You might have to flash., If you have used backupmenu lately, you can be back to normal in no time. First, though, make sure your battery is completely charged, using something other than your N900 to charge it, because this could just be a matter of recovering from that condition. Rebooting with a fully charged battery might get you past the dots.

OK, preparing myself for reflash.... ;)

I did use backupmenu not too long ago...so, should be in pretty good shape there...

As for battery charge, it did get very low on me all of a sudden....once I noticed that, I shutdown N900, pulled out battery and put it in the external charger I recently bought to fully charge up...put it back in and then had problem....

ArchiMark 2012-06-01 02:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1215737)
had a situation recently too where my N900 didn't want to start up any more neither.
i'm on GNU / Linux thus don't usually have LostDOS around (except @ work :() but for some reason had that started up & running that evening, so i tried to connect the N900 to that...
it took the PC (with se7en 64bit) a connection to recognize the N900 but after that NOKIA Suite (i had installed a few months ago to upgrade N8 to Belle) kuicked in and the N900 started up :D

if you have a PC with NOKIA Suite handy, it might be worse a try...

Thanks for the suggestion, misterc....couldn't hurt....