maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Changes with Google Drive (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99807)

endsormeans 2017-09-10 00:05

Changes with Google Drive
 
https://apple.slashdot.org/story/17/...-down-in-march

It appears that google is making some changes...
It seems a bit confusing what they are doing..
putting google drive under "backup and sync" ...from what is said..
and that normal ordinary google drive as we know it won't work as the stand alone it has been...
That is what I get from the articles I have read thus far...

Doubtless this will affect some here..

In point of fact ..it will affect all the links to files I share here...
I will have to change all my links here and find another free online file sharing service rather than deal with this fuzzy and vague appearing answer given..

Any suggestions for a good free online file sharing service that gives enough storage?

I am leaning toward ..Mega

ajalkane 2017-09-10 14:33

Re: Changes with Google Drive
 
Mega... By Kim.Com to make 10 chars.

gerbick 2017-09-10 14:37

Re: Changes with Google Drive
 
Why not Nextcloud?

endsormeans 2017-09-10 19:18

Re: Changes with Google Drive
 
thanks gerbick :)

looking into it now...

Kabouik 2017-09-10 22:38

Re: Changes with Google Drive
 
Yeah Nextcloud definitely. If you are considering moving away from Google, then make it an opportunity to move to open source and self-hosted and private!

sally_sally 2017-09-11 08:56

Re: Changes with Google Drive
 
My guess is that if google gets to know of the frustration that comes with this..they are less likely to re-adjust and make it simplier or less complicated. I stand to be corrected. Would you agree?

endsormeans 2017-09-11 14:53

Re: Changes with Google Drive
 
theory is sound...
But dealing with behemoths like google , ms, apple or facebook...
they could care less about a small segment of the pop. that is irritated, vexed, or angry,..
Such corps. "do" care though ...about public image ..and spin doctoring exploding media coverage of issues pertaining to them to be able to retain their market share.

gerbick 2017-09-11 15:55

Re: Changes with Google Drive
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sally_sally (Post 1534191)
My guess is that if google gets to know of the frustration that comes with this..they are less likely to re-adjust and make it simplier or less complicated. I stand to be corrected. Would you agree?

No, I do not agree.

Unfortunately Google has made plenty decisions that affect their bottom line and the few, angry masses tend to be a write-off more than anything else.

It's why FOSS is seen as a bunch of wild kids doing their own thing in a basement or garage until... whining either drops out of style, the product gets bought out and rebranded as a "new idea" or the disgruntled few fail to make a dent in educating the masses.

Often the FOSS is pushed so far down that folks just don't even know that they're running something that's open source somewhere in the stack (think: routers).

At this moment in time, I believe fully in storing and maintaining your own data and disallow all parties that want to make money from your contributions (read: your content, your posts, your emails, your words) and make money from it without including you because your consent came from a convenient service.

We do that all too often. Give away our content for ease of use.

Roll your own data storage, access it from your trusted devices, keep everybody else out.

juiceme 2017-09-11 16:23

Re: Changes with Google Drive
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1534210)
At this moment in time, I believe fully in storing and maintaining your own data and disallow all parties that want to make money from your contributions (read: your content, your posts, your emails, your words) and make money from it without including you because your consent came from a convenient service.

We do that all too often. Give away our content for ease of use.

Roll your own data storage, access it from your trusted devices, keep everybody else out.

Wise Words of the week!

It used to be that people valued their private data, whatever happened to that sentiment?

biketool 2017-09-11 16:42

Re: Changes with Google Drive
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1534212)
Wise Words of the week!

It used to be that people valued their private data, whatever happened to that sentiment?


Lazy & cheap...


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:03.

vBulletin® Version 3.8.8