maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Lunatic situation with "Sygic Mobile Maps" for Maemo (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85180)

Acurus_ 2012-06-30 16:56

Lunatic situation with "Sygic Mobile Maps" for Maemo

Nokia never released "OVI Maps" for the N900. Fortunately Sygic started selling "Mobile Maps" for Maemo in March 2010. Till today, this is the only full working Maemo navigation app.

Sygic sold "Mobile Maps" with the promise, buyer would get "map updates". Approximately one year later, Sygic stopped selling "Mobile Maps" abruptly in 2011 and stopped the support, as well. If a licensed Maemo user will log into his Sygic account, he will not find the history of support-postings. Because Sygic deleted them. Even there is no possibility to (re-)activate the “Real-Time Traffic” function. Moreover if a licensed and logged-in user needs a new copy of "Mobile Maps", he will not succeed: The download link is dead.

Sygic is from Slovakia. Slovakia is a part of the European Union. Focusing the EU law, there is a defects liability period about two years for every concern. This two years are not over. Therefore Sygic still has to support "Mobile Maps" for licensed N900 owners in the EU - at least till 2013. Obviously Sygic is not interested in doing this.

Now, the situation is getting really lunatic. A lot of licensed Maemo users got only one map update. Others got none. But Sygic promised "Map UpdateS". None or one update is less than that.

If my informations are right, there has been the last map update in late 2010. But this maps are getting older and older. If somebody would search a little bit the internet (for example "Sygic Mobile Maps Europa TA-2011.03"), he could possibly find informations about newer maps, which could run on Maemo. But in this case - and that is the problem - somebody could possibly get some hits, which are not linked to Sygic servers. Is this the policy of Sygic, that licensed Maemo users shall seek after this?

In the days Sygic still supported "Mobile Maps" for Maemo, licensed users got an information, that there is a free upgrade version (for example from 8.1.2 to 8.1.6). Both versions are not absolutely stable. They can crash, for example while receiving emails. If somebody would search a little bit the internet (for example "Sygic Mobile Maps 10 Maemo N900 V 8.2.4"), he could possibly find informations about a newer version. But in this case - and that is the problem again - somebody could possibly get some hits, which are not linked to Sygic servers. Is this the policy of Sygic, that licensed Maemo users shall seek after this?

Finally I will come to the "Real-Time Traffic" function. A licensed Maemo user cannot buy it anymore. Obviously Sygic has too much money and can waste it. Otherwise, a licensed Maemo user can buy the function for another platform. For example the Bada license is working with Maemo. But Bada has been kicked out by Sygic as well ... I do not know, if the still sold Android license is working, too. Is this the policy of Sygic, that licensed Maemo users shall try this one?

Last words: This is NOT a posting about how to get an illegal version of "Sygic Mobile Maps". It is only a posting about the lunatic situation of users with a licensed "Sygic Mobile Maps" version.

ammyt 2012-06-30 17:06

Re: Lunatic situation with "Sygic Mobile Maps" for Maemo

Let the Googling begin.

Kidding :P
But seriously, get over it, Sygic isn't the only company who proved to be unreliable.

HtheB 2012-06-30 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acurus_ (Post 1229488)
Nokia never released "OVI Maps" for the N900. Fortunately Sygic started selling "Mobile Maps" for Maemo in March 2010. Till today, this is the only full working Maemo navigation app.

Sygic sold "Mobile Maps" with the promise, buyer would get "map updates". Approximately one year later, Sygic stopped selling "Mobile Maps" abruptly in 2011 and stopped the support, as well. If a licensed Maemo user will log into his Sygic account, he will not find the history of support-postings. Because Sygic deleted them. Even there is no possibility to (re-)activate the “Real-Time Traffic” function. Moreover if a licensed and logged-in user needs a new copy of "Mobile Maps", he will not succeed: The download link is dead.

Sygic is from Slovakia. Slovakia is a part of the European Union. Focusing the EU law, there is a defects liability period about two years for every concern. This two years are not over. Therefore Sygic still has to support "Mobile Maps" for licensed N900 owners in the EU - at least till 2013. Obviously Sygic is not interested in doing this.

Now, the situation is getting really lunatic. A lot of licensed Maemo users got only one map update. Others got none. But Sygic promised "Map UpdateS". None or one update is less than that.

If my informations are right, there has been the last map update in late 2010. But this maps are getting older and older. If somebody would search a little bit the internet (for example "Sygic Mobile Maps Europa TA-2011.03"), he could possibly find informations about newer maps, which could run on Maemo. But in this case - and that is the problem - somebody could possibly get some hits, which are not linked to Sygic servers. Is this the policy of Sygic, that licensed Maemo users shall seek after this?

In the days Sygic still supported "Mobile Maps" for Maemo, licensed users got an information, that there is a free upgrade version (for example from 8.1.2 to 8.1.6). Both versions are not absolutely stable. They can crash, for example while receiving emails. If somebody would search a little bit the internet (for example "Sygic Mobile Maps 10 Maemo N900 V 8.2.4"), he could possibly find informations about a newer version. But in this case - and that is the problem again - somebody could possibly get some hits, which are not linked to Sygic servers. Is this the policy of Sygic, that licensed Maemo users shall seek after this?

Finally I will come to the "Real-Time Traffic" function. A licensed Maemo user cannot buy it anymore. Obviously Sygic has too much money and can waste it. Otherwise, a licensed Maemo user can buy the function for another plattform. For example the Bada license is working with Maemo. But Bada has been kicked out by Sygic as well ... I do not know, if the still sold Android license is working, too. Is this the policy of Sygic, that licensed Maemo users shall try this one?

Last words: This is NOT a posting about how to get an illegal version of "Sygic Mobile Maps". It is only a posting about the lunatic situation of users with a licensed "Sygic Mobile Maps" version.

one of the sygic threads here on tmo has even a link to download full europe version. it's just a working link from the sygic website....

I know it's crap that sygic is the only commercial and good looking navigation app, but i was very happy that they did made a maemo version.

Now if someone just leaks the latest version of sygic for maemo..... (some people had it for testing purposes

please share it with us! :(

Acurus_ 2012-06-30 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1229600)
one of the sygic threads here on tmo has even a link to download full europe version. it's just a working link from the sygic website....

Where?

Quote:

I know it's crap that sygic is the only commercial and good looking navigation app, but i was very happy that they did made a maemo version.

Me, too!!!!!!!

Quote:

Now if someone just leaks the latest version of sygic for maemo..... (some people had it for testing purposes

please share it with us! :(

Absolutely! Sygic programmed Aura for Maemo and never released it. A much better way were, Sygic donated it to the Maemo community and everybody were able to use it.

Zentenario 2012-06-30 23:19

Aura? Cannot understand why Sygic did the work but not released it to the licenced users? Maybe not finished?

Protegio 2012-06-30 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ammyt (Post 1229493)
Let the Googling begin.

Kidding :P
But seriously, get over it, Sygic isn't the only company who proved to be unreliable.

Yeah... Nokia is one of them :|

Joseph9560 2012-06-30 23:56

Quote:

one of the sygic threads here on tmo has even a link to download full europe version. it's just a working link from the sygic website....(

It worked when I first tried it. But next time I tried, it was dead already.

Wichall 2012-07-01 01:27

if you purchase real time traffic for android when logged into sygic, then mobile maps for maemo gets the service too as long as you use the same user info

Acurus_ 2012-07-01 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zentenario (Post 1229615)
Aura? Cannot understand why Sygic did the work but not released it to the licenced users? Maybe not finished?

Here is a Youtube Video with a running Sygic Aura (beta version) on Maemo. This is NOT a fake.

Acurus_ 2012-07-27 18:21

Last words: Do not play with "Sygic Mobile Maps 10 Maemo N900 V 8.2.4". It is slow and needs a lot of time for GPS fixing. Use V 8.1.6 - that is the best.