maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [BETA RELEASE] PhoneME Advanced (Java Mobile) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81969)

[DarkGUNMAN] 2012-01-29 12:41

[BETA RELEASE] PhoneME Advanced (Java Mobile)

2 Attachment(s)
Background:
We have native versions of Java Standard Edition (Sun JSE Embedded / OpenJDK) to run desktop Java applications .

We could not run Java Mobile Editon apps/games (Opera Mini, Shazam etc) as you would find on other mobile phones, without MicroEmulator running on top of Java SE.
While this worked to an extent it did take a lot of CPU to run JavaSE, running a JavaME emulator, to run a Java ME app.

The ideal solution would be to have a native version of JavaME we can call from the command line like Java SE
PhoneME is the equivalent of this and has been around for a while, but compiling it is notoriously difficult, and there have been no working compiled versions of it available for N900 until now.
-------------

I have approached Davy Preuveneers who was behind the following builds for Android, Linux ARM and Windows Phone, and he has very kindly donated some time to create a Maemo/MeeGo version for the community.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavyP (Post 1205938)
Just to clarify:
This is the main download website with "stable" builds:
http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/?q=node/10#maemo
This is the website where I upload all my builds for testing by the
community, including "unstable" ones:
http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/public/maemo/deb/
On this page, you also find older builds which could be useful to
identify between which two builds a new bug appeared.
Cheers,
Davy

Please download and test with N900 Fremantle, N9 Harmattan, and MeeGo CE / NEMO - any feedback in regard to bugs or performance issues with other mobile applications would be greatly appreciated.

sjw6234 2012-01-29 13:27

Re: [TESTING] PhoneME Advanced (prototype release) with Opera Mini 6

input method (mscim) not work

theonelaw 2012-01-29 13:57

ok, this might actually be really cool

thanks for sharing this

[DarkGUNMAN] 2012-01-29 15:05

Post updated with background information about JavaSE, JavaME and PhoneME, to explain which problem this solves for N900.

kolos 2012-01-29 19:56

Re: [TESTING] PhoneME Advanced (Java Mobile) prototype release

[DarkGUNMAN], did you try to run Opera Mini v6.5? I tried and it crashes on start. I just replaced names of jar and jad files in opera.sh. I also tested v4.2 which works fine.

blackjack4it 2012-01-29 22:08

Opera is working on my N900..by testing the examples included...Woow...it is very fast...I've tried to start Skebby.jar but it can't find a PlayerListener class :( any hints?
I've also tried to start Whatsapp jar but it says "Illegal Protocol" because it lacks of s40 nokia libs :(

HtheB 2012-01-29 22:50

what does ebuddy says? can anybody try it out? :)
would be fine to have a messneger client running on our N9/N950's (without having to sync all the contacts in our devices)

[DarkGUNMAN] 2012-01-29 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolos (Post 1157514)
[DarkGUNMAN], did you try to run Opera Mini v6.5? I tried and it crashes on start. I just replaced names of jar and jad files in opera.sh. I also tested v4.2 which works fine.

OM6.5 doesn't work on this test version as it needs addition jsr support. Thanks for testing it though. it is bloody quick :)

Android_808 2012-01-30 00:12

anyone tried shazam

[DarkGUNMAN] 2012-01-30 00:33

1 Attachment(s)
I've been asked to try and get a jar file working.
This method might work for other jar files for testing.. no guarantees since this just my own guessworkl

The command line for this is not as straightforward to get working, but reading the .sh files bundled with this it loads the modules before calling jar, then loads the main class.

The main class is named in the jar file.. this can be found by opening the jar file with a zip program.
Open 'META-MF/MANIFEST.MF' with a text editor
The file will look something like this:
Code:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
MIDlet-Vendor: Banka Koper
MIDlet-Version: 1.0.5
MIDlet-1: BankaIN,/icon_small.png,si.semantika.bkotp.j2me.BankaIn
MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.1
MIDlet-Name: BankaIN
MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.0

The Midlet-1 line shows the icon used BankaIN,/icon_small.png, then a comma to separate the main class.. in this case si.semantika.bkotp.j2me.BankaIn
If you navigagte the file using a zip program you will find a file structure similar to this.

To get it working I edited the .sh file and saved a copy:
Code:

#!/bin/sh

$PWD/bin/cvm -Xmx12m -Dmicroedition.profiles=MIDP-2.1 -Dsun.midp.library.name=midp -Dsun.midp.home.path=$PWD/midp/midp_linux_fb_gcc -Dcom.sun.midp.mainClass.name=com.sun.midp.main.CdcMIDletSuiteLoader sun.misc.MIDPLauncher -suitepath /home/user/MyDocs/bankain.jar -1 si.semantika.bkotp.j2me.BankaIn2

If there are problems or errors with the midlet once launched will apper in the xterm. Should be able to close it using ctrl+c