maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Why the video playback performance difference? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83904)

aditya_123412 2012-04-26 14:29

Why the video playback performance difference?

I'm not very familiar with Linux or Maemo programming,so this may sound silly but I noticed this:
When I play a 720p (flv) video on maemo (with all the patches in place and at the required DSP clock settings),it still has a pretty tough time playing it and is laggy in stock player,Mplayer shows wierd colours.
But the same video plays smoother than anything in Nitdroid using a player 'MXplayer' with and without HW acceleration(same clock speeds).
Same is the case with HD games,I can play all of them on Nitdroid without a blink.....(no multi-touch though)
So if you get the picture,can anyone explain me why this happens,and if it is possible to get similar/better performance under Maemo with changed kernels/patches?
I can follow instructions if someone can help me out......

My setup is KP50,720p patchs,extra-decoders installed,CSSU-latest build,speedpatch,baterypatch,clock speed CPU-950,DSP-600

Edit:This is the case with all different kinds of videos I tried,and I CAN play 720p videos,just not as smoothly as in NItdroid,which makes me think that the hardware is sufficiently strong to handle it.....someone correct me if I'm wrong.

reinob 2012-04-27 06:57

Re: Why the video playback performance difference?

I would start by removing speedpatch and batterypatch. Not sure how cleanly they uninstall, so you might want to reflash.

Then report again..

aditya_123412 2012-04-27 07:16

But if I load the DSP profile,and lock the frequency to 900Mhz,shouldnt that be sufficient?

Also,is the stock player the only one that uses on-hardware decoding?
Mplayer,and VLC-Maemo use only the CPU for decoding right?

reinob 2012-04-27 07:36

I *suppose* that batterypatch may not be affecting, as it *supposedly* only kicks in when locking/unlocking the N900.

As for speedpatch. Not even the author has a clue about what it does, but Maemo has (built-in) a pretty sophisticated system for classifying tasks in groups, which speedpatch probably "rapes", so to speak.

The stock player uses hardware-accelerated modules for *some* formats/codecs. No idea about FLV.

Other than that, no idea. The only videos I play with my N900 are re-encoded MP4 videos ripped off of Youtube (children's stuff), which are crappy anyway but play smoothly enough :)

electroaudio 2012-04-27 13:56

Maemo is a multitasking os while nitdroid only does one thing and maemo uses the X-window system, while android doesnt even have X...

The hardware should be capable, the problem usually is how the software is written.
Just compare the difference in speed between the maemo browser and firefox. Since both are based on the same code they do roughly the same thing, but the huge difference in speed is because the maemo browser has been compiled by some clever people.

-If speedpatch is a part of the problem, then Speedpatch probably needs some tweaking ;)

aditya_123412 2012-04-27 15:23

I agree that there's this difference in the way in which they are written.
So can anyone implement that kind of thing for Maemo?
Is the stock player open source?

Installing/removing speedpatch seems to make no difference on my system whatsoever.......

Estel 2012-04-27 15:30

720p video on N900 is too much for DSP (yes, it is accelerated). why the f**k would You want it anyway, when You got 800x480 screen? Just use 480 resolution, and You'll have native resolution video - *much* smoother than 720p or even 1080p, due to downscaling |(which always lose a bit of quality).

Simply put - the best possible quality, is when You use 480p video. If You use TV-Out, it's affected by PAl/NTSC (preferably PAL, as it have slightly higher number of lines) conversion + overscan, so quality is f***ed anyway 0 using Tv-Out, it matters even less (so, 480 still is best choice).

Hope it helps in understanding how this video stuff works...

/Estel

hriday. 2012-04-27 16:11

Missing this one, too.

In my case I often watch Videos which are stored on my N900 on TV's,
for example when I'am at a friends place, via USB or DLNA/UPnP.
But I don't want to save the same Vid once in 480p
and once in 720p, cos it jus doesn't make sense.

So, does I get it right, theres no way to make this work.. ?

aditya_123412 2012-04-28 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1198253)
720p video on N900 is too much for DSP (yes, it is accelerated). why the f**k would You want it anyway, when You got 800x480 screen? Just use 480 resolution, and You'll have native resolution video - *much* smoother than 720p or even 1080p, due to downscaling |(which always lose a bit of quality).

Simply put - the best possible quality, is when You use 480p video. If You use TV-Out, it's affected by PAl/NTSC (preferably PAL, as it have slightly higher number of lines) conversion + overscan, so quality is f***ed anyway 0 using Tv-Out, it matters even less (so, 480 still is best choice).

Hope it helps in understanding how this video stuff works...

/Estel

But Nitdroid is already playing very high res videos smoothly,so 720p cant be too much for the DSP,I mean its well within the capabilities since the machine is the same and so are the clock settings.........My main problem is that I have a huge collection of movies and videos in different resolutins and converting them on my middle-weight PC is very time consuming.

aditya_123412 2012-04-28 08:22

I know that its best to use the native res,as in the case of the pre-loaded videos I got with my phone,but my main problem is converting large number of movies or videos for it.