maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Multimedia (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   [Announce/WIP] Aerofy - Subsonic Client for Maemo/Eventually Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74511)

Reffyyyy 2011-06-30 21:01

[Announce/WIP] Aerofy - Subsonic Client for Maemo/Eventually Harmattan

As some people may have already noticed, there is an application in Extras Devel named Aerofy.

It's a Subsonic Client written in QML and ready for your criticism. Aesthetically, it's not pleasing. I am attempting to get all functionality before making it pretty.

Some features that will be included in later versions will be:
  • A close button (I know, I know)
  • Jukebox Control
  • Ability to share link to song via Facebook
  • Coverflow for album list (MAYBE. I had some issues with a previous Qt version. Don't know if it still exists).
  • Ability to download songs.
  • Artist information from LastFM api
  • Anything else that is suggested.

The application has been an interest of mine for a while but the MeeGo Coding Competition encouraged me.

All feedback, negative and positive is greatly appreciated.

One bug that I will be fixing is the requirement to restart the application after saving settings.

The server address requires "http://" to precede the address. Example:

Code:

http://192.168.1.1:5555

marxian 2011-06-30 21:53

Re: [Announce/WIP] Aerofy - Subsonic Client for Maemo/Eventually Harmattan

I wasn't previously familiar with Subsonic, but it looks interesting. I'll install the desktop application and give this a spin. :) I notice that they provide video streaming (donors only). I expect it would be poor quality though, as the bitrate would be limited by a user's upstream connection speed (we get shafted on this in the UK).

I believe that this application belongs in the network category of the Meego Coding Competition, if you get my gist. :p ;)

Reffyyyy 2011-06-30 22:00

@marxian

Oh yeah, I forgot about the video streaming. I'm not particularly interested in watching videos on a tiny screen but I'll probably implement that too. The question is Qt Mobility or built in player...

I'm in the UK too (good ol' Wales) and I can attest to the upload speed being dreadful. I think I get faster speeds on Giffgaff than I do on any of my friends' houses broadband.

If the category can be edited, I'll see if I can sneak it in there. ;)

There really is no multimedia application that can compete with Cutetube-QML but hey, more applications for the community.

Reffyyyy 2011-07-01 14:16

New version up.

Moved coverart and added a close button.

@marxian

Congratulations on the N950. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

jehan 2011-07-18 14:59

do you plan to integrate the subsonic chat feature?

petur 2011-09-02 21:56

Where do you store the settings? I tried to enter my server location but all I'm getting from aerofy is freezing.

Do you support a location in the form of
http://my.server.location:nnnnn/subsonic
?

petur 2011-09-07 08:45

-= bumb =-

Reffyyyy 2011-09-09 21:47

Oops, sorry. Don't come round here much nowadays.

That server address should be fine. Anything with http:// preceding it should work. Somebody did have an issue with a certificate on initial release. I really need to update this version sometime.

If you like, you can pm me your server address and I'll test it out on mine. Ensure that the "h" in "http" is not capitalised too!

Nokia N900's have had a huge amount of issues due to Qt Mobility and other things.

Hmmm, it shouldn't freeze, regardless of whether or not the server address is right.

I haven't updated my N900, but are you on latest CSSU? Issues with Qt are happening because of it, apparently.

When I do update this, it will catch up with the Harmattan version in terms of features. I'll take an afternoon off sometime soon to get it done.

Juice 2011-10-04 10:35

Any update on this?

Getting qml module import error :(
QtMultimediakit version 1.2 is not installed.

Known problem or is there way to solve this?

I do have CSSU...

petur 2011-10-04 11:41

I'm on the latest CSSU and kp48, not much else that is specific to my n900... Currently Aerofy just shows a black screen :(

Would be great if you could get this working

Reffyyyy 2011-10-04 14:58

If you can try this in terminal and let me know how it goes, that'd be great:

export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/opt/qtm12/plugins

Also, ensure that libqtm-12 is installed first.

I will eventually be updating the software to match the Harmattan version (using Qt Components). It'll be more optimised for the mobile screen size and will have quite a few new features.

Juice 2011-10-05 05:40

Hi..still getting that error.
~ $ /opt/Aerofy/bin/Aerofy
file:///opt/Aerofy/qml/Aerofy/main.qml:2:1: module "QtMultimediaKit" version 1.2 is not installed
import QtMultimediaKit 1.2

If I change it to 1.1 it starts partially but hangs.

crisscross 2011-10-16 22:25

Any progress on this? Subsonic or owncloud seems nice for having your own cloud...

Reffyyyy 2011-10-16 22:33

This is the problem with so many different Qt versions. I don't actually have the newest CSSU so can't test it.

@crisscross

Apart from the QtMultimediaKit issues, it is a somewhat primitively functional application.

I also have CuteTunes for Harmattan that is fairly similar to Subsonic, but you upload your songs to the remote MP3Tunes servers to stream (if you're in the UK, this is far better than having a home server) .

As stated, I do promise to update this to match the Harmattan version. Right now, I have a whole bundle of college work. Luckily, I'll have a week or two off to do this after Friday, I hope.

Although, I have a job interview in the morning. If I get it, who knows what will happen. It's a great position considering my age.

Off-topic

I picked up my N900 again after a while of not using it. It is still my favourite device. I really don't think anything will compare for a long time.

petur 2012-01-05 11:15

bump

I'd really like to have this working on my n900 (kp49 + cssu (testing))

Anything I can do to help debug this?

sysedit 2012-02-09 20:49

Hi,

I would be very interested in testing aerofy for N9 (PR 1.2).
Any quick installation guide ?

Thanks for your work !

petur 2012-03-14 11:14

Any update?

I found this related post: talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81780

if I set the QT_PLUGIN_PATH, it still says that QtMultimediakit 1.2 isn't installed, but looking in /opt/qtm12/imports I see QtMultimediakit is there... So the above post may be related?

Reffyyyy 2012-03-27 11:43

Have begun rewriting it in Qt(C++) and have file selection and playback working, functional, and being great (unlike QtMultimediaKit). Am using Phonon, so we shouldn't get any more issues with playback.

I need to know which features are most important for people so I can prioritize. I'm satisfied with just playing locally, but I know most others aren't. It's going to behave quite similarly to the N900 default media player in terms of UI. No more QML for me.

petur 2012-03-27 11:49

Great news, if you have anything to test on n900 just shout...

What do you mean with local playback? Files on the n900? Don't need that, I need to play the stuff that's on my NAS (running subsonic). No need for radio streams either, the build-in mediaplayer can handle that too.

Thanks for the work!

sysedit 2012-03-27 12:30

Yep, really good news.

Same for me, I would love to be able to connect to my subsonic server (https if possible, with specific port) and play either single file or a full directory streamed form the server.

An important feature for me would be to have an option to select server media re-encoding, as I've ripped my CDs using FLAC and unfortunately my upload bandwidth is a bit limited for streaming FLAC.

Anyway, thanks for the work, would be happy to help and test (I'm a Qt developer too, mostly on desktop but have Qt Sdk ready to test on my N9).

petur 2012-03-27 12:42

Yes, https on a custom port for me too please :)

The server side media re-encoding thing is a, euh, server side thing. Browse to your server, select the player you want and change the setting. Or log in as admin and change the default....

sysedit 2012-03-27 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by petur (Post 1184636)
The server side media re-encoding thing is a, euh, server side thing. Browse to your server, select the player you want and change the setting. Or log in as admin and change the default....

Ok, rephrasing: be able to select the player or create a new one with the ability to select the option for media re-encoding.

I don't want to set it as default as at home the original format is ok, but when I'm running it away from home, especially with my phone, I need to be able to select the player configured to re-encode without having to go to the admin web site with a browser.

Reffyyyy 2012-03-27 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by petur (Post 1184606)
Great news, if you have anything to test on n900 just shout...

What do you mean with local playback? Files on the n900? Don't need that, I need to play the stuff that's on my NAS (running subsonic). No need for radio streams either, the build-in mediaplayer can handle that too.

Thanks for the work!

Trying to type fast, am supposed to be working at the moment.

Nope, I meant locally to the network, and not over the internet. So, I wouldn't need things like track pre-loading, but others may (will be put in anyway, as I already have the code written for it. Just need to integrate it.)

I'll get a test deb up ASAP.

Quote:

Yep, really good news.

Same for me, I would love to be able to connect to my subsonic server (https if possible, with specific port) and play either single file or a full directory streamed form the server.

An important feature for me would be to have an option to select server media re-encoding, as I've ripped my CDs using FLAC and unfortunately my upload bandwidth is a bit limited for streaming FLAC.

Anyway, thanks for the work, would be happy to help and test (I'm a Qt developer too, mostly on desktop but have Qt Sdk ready to test on my N9).

I believe that transcoding is supported in the API. I think that it may need to be enabled server side though.

By "full directory", does that include subdirectories?

Definitely need to get some usability testing for this in order to determine the best UI elements. I prefer the approach of:

Quote:

artist -> album(optional: Play whole album. Clears Now Playing, and replaces with all tracks in album) -> track -> play track(all tracks in playlist cleared. Replaced with this track to end of album) -> track finishes -> will automatically play next track.
but am unsure if this approach would be better for the community:

Quote:

artist -> album (optional: add album to Now Playing) -> track (clicking adds to NowPlaying, and auto plays if nothing present)
etc.

The first one is already implemented as it's my preferred, but if it is the general consensus that the second approach is better, I'll re-think it.

Thanks.

Reffyyyy 2012-03-28 08:06

https connection now working. Just need to create the nowPlaying page, and I think I'll upload a deb here. Girlfriend is out shopping today, so will do it when I get back from work.

Or, I could create a permanent now playing bar at the bottom of each page. Maybe both! I'll see how I feel about it later.

Any suggestions welcome, as always.

EDIT: Will test out the transcoding today too.

petur 2012-03-28 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reffyyyy (Post 1184650)
Nope, I meant locally to the network, and not over the internet.

Must be blind, not seeing the difference. Network is network, right?

Reffyyyy 2012-03-28 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by petur (Post 1185088)
Must be blind, not seeing the difference. Network is network, right?

Example:

To the local network, streaming to your device will very likely be a consistent experience. No signal dropouts etc.

But if you're on your phone and on a train/bus etc, you're going to get frequent drops of your signal. So, whilst song one is playing, download song two instead of waiting for song one to finish and THEN downloading it. Then, when song one has finished, play song two from the filesystem.

It's one of the methods of overcoming the spotty coverage I get in my area (and I'm sure many others have this issue).

But that was just one feature example, given as an idea similar to what people should suggest and shouldn't be read too much into.

Sorry my wording is a bit off, in work at the moment.

petur 2012-03-28 13:04

ah, ok, buffering / preloading... would be great :)

mule64 2012-05-29 19:50

Hi. I was wondering how's the project is going on? I can't get Aerofy to work with N900 or N9. Any progression?

Reffyyyy 2012-06-05 04:09

Yup, sorry about the lack of movement. Work, life etc.

I would like to upload a deb after I wake (5:10am here). Not much in it, it's an older build because my dev computer is nowhere near me atm.

If some people could test it and get back to me regarding playback, playlists (playlists just are not working on my computer) etc, it'd be great. Also, let me know whatever you think is missing.

Be as critical as possible!

Could the people that want to test post here, so I can privately message the deb? Not quite ready for open testing.

Thanks,

Alex

mule64 2012-06-06 16:50

I'm interested to test it in N900 and in N9.

Reffyyyy 2012-06-06 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by mule64 (Post 1218496)
I'm interested to test it in N900 and in N9.

N900 one for now. I'll fix up the N9 version later. I'll message you with the N900 .deb after I've eaten.

I do miss developing.

Reffyyyy 2012-06-11 13:08

I did send an email to mule64 the other day as I couldn't PM him/her (they don't have enough posts). Haven't had any feedback regarding it. (EDIT: Nevermind, replied to my old email address. Great feedback)

Kind of want to fix any issues before I start implementing features that aren't necessarily important to the functionality of the software, but are nice to have.

RTA 2012-06-12 02:56

Where can i get the deb for the n9, ive been waiting for a subsonic app

Reffyyyy 2012-06-12 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTA (Post 1220751)
Where can i get the deb for the n9, ive been waiting for a subsonic app

mule64 is currently helping me test at the moment. We've run into a few issues, and I'm going to be working through them. After fixing these issues, I'll start implementing new features, test the features, fix the issues, repeat.

I'll send you a deb to test on the next cycle? Community support is incredibly helpful even with the smallest feedback.

EDIT: oops, noticed you said N9. I'll be working on that after this one is complete. It'll be uploaded to the store when completed. Shouldn't take as long as this one, because I'll be re-using a lot of code.

RTA 2012-06-12 13:25

Thx for the reply that's great to hear. I agree with you about the community everyone is eager to help and communicate. I'm looking forward for the n9 app in the future.

deviantv1ral 2012-09-21 22:55

sign me up for the n9 testing. thanks. i just discovered subsonic and looks really good

edit:
i found a site that says its an n9 package 0.0.1 tried to install it and it just said cant trace dependencies. is this the right version?

the same is true for 0.0.6 with all the repositories enable through qttweak

soryuuha 2012-11-29 05:46

i wonder if this project is still ongoing?

seanmcken 2012-11-29 07:40

on n900 it showing black screen and nthing else

petur 2012-12-17 08:28

Reffyyyy is there any progress? If abandoned, is the code out there?

preflex 2013-01-07 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanmcken (Post 1299589)
on n900 it showing black screen and nthing else

It looks like qtmultimediakit dependencies were not installed on mine.

Was getting error "file:///opt/Aerofy/qml/Aerofy/main.qml:2:1: module "QtMultimediaKit" version 1.2 is not installed."

I installed python-qtmobility12.multimediakit, but that didn't help.

I then installed python-qtmobility11.multimediakit. Same problem.

I then edited /opt/Aerofy/qml/Aerofy/main.qml line 2 and changed "import QtMultimediaKit 1.2" to 1.1.

The program runs, but does not connect. Perhaps this is an old version without ssl support? Perhaps I'm simply crazy trying to use QtMultimediaKit 1.1?