maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Nokia CEO Blames Salesmen For Windows Phone Struggles (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82014)

johnel 2012-01-31 08:41

Nokia CEO Blames Salesmen For Windows Phone Struggles

I've just read this and thought some people here will find it amusing:

http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/12/...hone-struggles

You see? It's all the salesmen's fault not the stupid decisions of the current CEO - Steven "I'm Steve Ballmer's b1tch" Elop.

I think it's about time his monkey-ar5e was removed from Nokia.

Quote:

One of the worst signs for WP8 is that Nokia's N9 — despite being crippled without marketing, and often selling at full price compared to the almost fully subsidized Lumia phones

bocephus 2012-01-31 09:36

Re: Nokia CEO Blames Salesmen For Windows Phone Struggles

Did I ever mention how much I loathe Elop?

Quote:

"Interestingly, if the Nokia N9 had been available in all markets, it might have sold almost 5M units and pushed Nokia into profitability."
Will the Nokia board take note and fire his sorry a55? Of course not - they too have proven themselves inept by even picking Elop in the first place.

Anything bad that happens to Nokia from here on out, they deserve. I will at least still have my N900's.

panjgoori 2012-01-31 09:52

wait and watch. next they will blame peoples not to buying windows phone. its clearly stated that Nokia N9 outsold both Lumia's. Time to celebrate Maemo Community.

F2thaK 2012-01-31 10:03

LOL. It has *nothing* to do with how sh.t WP7 is.

droll 2012-01-31 10:32

oh my f***ing god. i hate it when top mgmt speaks like this. this is coming from the ceo. any ceo worth his or her salt will know that a company is only as good as its employees. putting the blame on the sales folks means you, mr elop, have failed to incentivise them correctly.

common, you are nokia. you've been in this business for a long time. are you telling us you don't know how to sell phones? are you telling us it took you so long to recognize the problem that it has to come out of your mouth only now? you mean you didn't realize your sales folk are people who are in it for the money???!! reward changes behaviour. hello! people management 101!!!

when the company fails, the people have failed. don't blame anyone else, elop. blame yourself. once you start doing that, nokia might still have a chance.

The Wizard of Huz 2012-01-31 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by F2thaK (Post 1158285)
LOL. It has *nothing* to do with how sh.t WP7 is.

Exactly. The only people who really like WP7 can be found in the comment sections on sites like The verge or tweakers.net. Those places are flooding with Microsoft "evangelists" trolls. But in real life no one cares for WP7.

It is pathetic that a CEO is blaming salesmen? Wasn't it Microsoft who was paying salesmen for every WP7 phone sold?

droitwichgas 2012-01-31 10:36

" Interestingly, if the Nokia N9 had been available in all markets, it might have sold almost 5M units and pushed Nokia into profitability."

Perhaps it is not the salesman's fault then Elop?

Dave999 2012-01-31 10:46

Let Elop have a sip of Tizen and they will jump ship again :D

http://cdn.omgubuntu.co.uk/wp-conten...31-296x500.jpg

stickymick 2012-01-31 11:22

From a Vodafone locked Nokia users point of view (until I got my N900), I can quite understand where he's coming from. He just needed to look deeper and further afield than just "salesmen".

The networks are partly to blame for Nokia's demise, in the fact that they have been in control of software updates where their branded handsets are concerned.

For example- My old N95- 8GB is still on the latest Vodafone branded firmware, which happens to be 2 versions behind the generic Nokia version, with "No further updates planned, as we haven't been told of any newer versions" (Vodafone's words on their forum).

Even with the N900 they tried to restrict updates and services. Type my N900 product code into NSU and it will tell you what the latest "Vodafone approved" firmware is. T-Mobile refused to stock the device because Nokia didn't and wouldn't provide a means for them to fill it up with their network lockouts and corporate bloatware, same reason that Orange didn't stock it. O2 stocked the N900 for a short while, but because customers couldn't use O2's services they steered customers away towards competitors devices.

Vodafone customers had to fight tooth and nail to get PR1.3 for the N900. Vodafone didn't release the "Pre- PR1.3" patch, so they had to go to Nokia and beg for a double release because PR1.3 couldn't be installed over PR1.1. Once they got that sorted they still took months to release because they had to "Test it to see if it worked with all Vodafone's services". Eventually, the truth was leaked by a Vodafone employee that they were trying to have the "Unsupported" apps and services removed (things like Skype and other services).

Rugoz 2012-01-31 11:37

I am not so sure the N9 would have sold 5 millions, but I wonder what kind of lumia sales elop expected if he starts blaming the salesmen.
It was always clear that wp7 wouldn't sell like hot cakes just because nokia makes the hardware. The hope is that nokia can push wp7 adoption above a critical mass.