maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Problems with N900 USB port becoming broken / loose and resulting warranty & repair issues (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37107)

Manuel 2009-12-01 08:43

N900 charger cable can rip usb port

I wish to advise that Nokia N900 charger usb connector hard-plastic has enough leverage to tear usb port off board if cable is tripped-over.

Why must our cables destroy devices? I would ask manufacturers to please start reducing the length of the lever-arm of the hard connectora. Thank you.

RevdKathy 2009-12-01 08:47

Re: N900 charger cable can rip usb port

I believe Texrat also had this problem. The USB plug is a very tight fit - treat it with care.

kopte3 2009-12-01 10:14

Can someone post photos? Tnx

colnago 2009-12-14 02:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 402276)
I wish to advise that Nokia N900 charger usb connector hard-plastic has enough leverage to tear usb port off board...

Now you tell me. :p

Waiting for RMA from vendor...after 2nd charge, USB receptacle came out along with the plug. :rolleyes: Not only that but the metal surround for the port came apart at the seam (its only crimped closed, not welded). Aside from the weak soldering points and thin dab of "epoxy?", there is no part of the case, nor phone internals that help to keep USB port in place (wound up taking it apart to see if I could re-solder). There is a chipset/housing which sits above the port about 2mm...if/when I get the replacement, I may put a drop or two of silicon or rubber cement to brace the top of the metal surround, against the chipset/housing above it, just to give it some bracing.

I think it may be the spring loaded clips at the bottom of the power plug that made such a tight fit. I may start using the charger from my Motorola Q as it doesn't have the clips, but the power supply is rated about 350mA lower than the Nokia.

OrangeBox 2009-12-14 03:19

Problems with N900 USB port becoming broken / loose and resulting warranty & repair issues

I was wondering how long the usb port will hold up on the N900 as it seems rather delicate. With me connecting/disconnecting it several times a day I fear that it may break prematurely. Am I paranoid?

pagesix1536 2009-12-14 03:29

Re: How sturdy is the USB port?

i have the same fear. I always seem to put it in a bit crooked too...can't seem to line up the plug right. I almost think they need maybe something more to guide the plug in straight. maybe more plastic around the plug so theres no chance of you tryimg to jam it in crooked.

lancewex 2009-12-14 03:42

I saw another post saying that a USB port broke. Can't see it myself. Looks rather sturdy to me...

sljonson 2009-12-14 04:09

Texrat mentioned that the female portion of the N900 usb port came out when the pulled the UBS cable out. So it appears to be possible.

GeraldKo 2009-12-14 04:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBox (Post 426587)
I was wondering how long the usb port will hold up on the N900 as it seems rather delicate. With me connecting/disconnecting it several times a day I fear that it may break prematurely. Am I paranoid?

You aren't paranoid at all. Here are posts by two strong N900 supporters who have had that problem:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...274#post397274

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=35

Both those were early samples given to developers before the official release of the N900; but I haven't read anything indicating that Nokia has remedied the design flaw, either.

pycage 2009-12-14 07:59

I'd suggest to use the port only for charging and doing file transfers over WiFi.
It may also be a good idea to push the clips on the charger plug a little bit so that the plug doesn't sit too tight.

Christocar 2009-12-14 09:11

If this does break, would this be covered by the warranty?

ymb 2009-12-14 11:19

I have managed to do some "slight" damage to the connect on my N900. This was either via a drop when the cable was connected or too rough a removal.

The only effect I have seen is that if the charging cable is not lined up correctly, it will cycle through the "charging", "disconnect cable", "charging" messages every couple of seconds, until the cable is correctly aligned.

anidel 2009-12-14 11:38

Well Texrat just posted this:

http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...-an-n900-risk/

Death Scythe 2009-12-14 13:15

Texrat has a point re quality of the part used for the USB connector, though I've only read about 2 incidents of the connector falling out/failing. The one incident was Texrat's phone getting violently yanked by the cable.

Considering the number of N900's in the wild right now, I think 2 incidents is insignifficant, unless there are more that have yet to come to light.

thorbo 2009-12-14 13:28

Zerojay also had this issue, and he indicated that it was after 3 months of careful use (pre-release version). For whatever reason, this issue has been sitting in my mind. On a work trip, for instance, it would be the worst of all possible scenarios (short of dropping or breaking the computer). If this becomes an issue (in a few months -- as these devices are used more and gain field time) would this be some items that one would think could/would be retrofitted by Nokia? Primarily as this is no garden variety cheap "phone". Would love to have some thoughts on this.

Rushmore 2009-12-14 13:32

Considering most people will charge at least once a day (at least) and transfer data via usb as well, this could be the number one warranty issue.

colnago 2009-12-14 13:37

I'm "trying" to get mine RMA'd by vendor (en route following vendor supplied shipping label, but not sure I'm actually getting replacement), after:

1. Metal surround for USB receptacle came apart at the seam (its crimped, not soldered/welded).

2. The whole receptacle came out, along with power plug, after fully charging. USB data cable didn't seem as tight.

I second trying to do something with the springloaded pins...seems a really tight fit with the microUSB power connector. Neither the case, nor the phone's internals, help brace the USB port. After taking it apart, I confirmed that there were only (4) small soldering points (1mm sq. each), and (2) slightly larger squares affixed with some red "epoxy(?)". In any case, I wasn't impressed with how its supported, having no issues with my micro USB port on my Motorola Q for the past two years.

Given that this is an unlocked phone (i.e. cost more, not able to walk in to store for replacement) and after giving up on the "DROID", I really want this phone to work for me. I'll most likely be installing some sort of "homemade brace" to help support the port. Even if its a few drops of silicon or rubber cement on the top, as a buffer against the internal housing which sits above.

thorbo 2009-12-14 13:51

That's three... uh oh... (please be anomalies, please be anomalies) -Thor

woodyear99 2009-12-14 18:12

That sucks, very unusual. Never saw any issues like this with my previous Nokia phones...

Megacrazy 2009-12-14 18:42

Hmmm if you look at the port carefully you can actually see the circuit board through the whole on top of the port (screen up). I've always feared these USB ports getting damaged and it seems like now I have a reason for it.

Texrat 2009-12-14 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death Scythe (Post 427082)
Texrat has a point re quality of the part used for the USB connector, though I've only read about 2 incidents of the connector falling out/failing. The one incident was Texrat's phone getting violently yanked by the cable.

Considering the number of N900's in the wild right now, I think 2 incidents is insignifficant, unless there are more that have yet to come to light.

It's now up to 3 documented to my knowledge, and 2 were from normal usage very early in the device lifecycle.

That last part is far more important than current number of known incidents. Don't get hung up on comforting numbers to the exclusion of other contexts. ;)

colnago 2009-12-14 18:58

I think the bigger issue is not so much the entire receptacle coming off the circuit board, but the USB contact points disconnecting. It didn't seem to take much, given that the contact points are not welded, but "glued" to the board. I'd fear those coming lose before the entire assembly.

Either way, the snug nature of the power plug and port, make sure it "straight-in-straight-out"...there is little "wiggle" room, pun intended. I will concede that mine was an isolated incident, if others can confirm whether or not the power plug is a "tight fit".

Texrat 2009-12-14 19:02

A failure is a failure, but complete removal of the connector is fatal. I'd have rather had the other.

And now up to 4 reports...

davidennis86 2009-12-14 19:29

I just had an idiot experience.

Was plugging in the usb to the phone, no response. Hunted around for usb issues, read through this - got worried.

Eventually realised the issue was plugging the wrong cable in to the phone. Sigh.

fnordianslip 2009-12-14 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidennis86 (Post 427598)
Eventually realised the issue was plugging the wrong cable in to the phone. Sigh.

I discovered that you can plug a USB type A male connector into an RJ-45 Ethernet socket.

Den in USA 2009-12-14 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnordianslip (Post 427607)
I discovered that you can plug a USB type A male connector into an RJ-45 Ethernet socket.

Your'e right, did you smell smoke also?

fnordianslip 2009-12-14 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Den in USA (Post 427614)
Your'e right, did you smell smoke also?

No. Did you?

Den in USA 2009-12-14 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnordianslip (Post 427620)
No. Did you?

Sorry, I left my burrito too long in the microwave!

Suurorca 2009-12-14 19:44

I've always thought the entire microUSB connector to be dubious at best. It's flat and in sits tight in the socket, ergo you need to use some force to pull the plug out. It is just way too easy to break the female plug if you happen to twitch the plug a bit. MiniUSBs were a lot nicer in that aspect.

Sadly, the N900 needs to be recharged daily. At least in my use. So I think it's pretty much avoidable the the socket fails at some point over time. I just hope it'll be within warranty period... *fingers crossed*

qgil 2009-12-14 20:13

fwiw the cases reported here were pre-production devices. This problem was addressed in the final sales devices.

Nekron 2009-12-14 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 427678)
fwiw the cases reported here were pre-production devices. This problem was addressed in the final sales devices.

Thanks for the info qgil :) (I never had the feeling that the micro usb port looks cheap.)

After waiting for more than three months to get my hands on the device and beeing a bit upset about Nokias customer relation ship handling I must say that I am very impressed with the device, love the things I can do with it and well, yes, congrats on Maemo teams great work (now I realized that waiting for soooo loooong was in the end OK).

Cheers,
Nek

Death Scythe 2009-12-14 20:35

Quote:

This is most reassuring, thanks for posting.

thorbo 2009-12-14 20:38

Thanks qgil. This puts my mind at ease. Being a skeptic I am going to follow the issue closely a little as time goes on, but to know that it was actually thought about (and presumably tested to failure) does make a difference. Being an early adopter does carry some risks, to be sure. Thanks again.

Thor

colnago 2009-12-14 20:51

Quote:

Ummm, my unit was ordered on Dec. 9th from newegg.com, after their "2nd shipment" sold out.

raullugo 2009-12-14 21:02

Quote:

thanks bud, thats really good to know!

ny900 2009-12-14 21:09

Ditto, even though I've had to unplug mine 2 or 3 times to get the computer to see it.

raullugo 2009-12-14 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ny900 (Post 427789)
Ditto, even though I've had to unplug mine 2 or 3 times to get the computer to see it.

yes i get that too, but it seems to be a software glitch not hardware...

gerbick 2009-12-14 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by colnago (Post 427751)
Ummm, my unit was ordered on Dec. 9th from newegg.com, after their "2nd shipment" sold out.

This doesn't seem to be isolated to pre-production ones. Case in point ^^

go1dfish 2009-12-15 11:12

Quote:

Good to know, our companies pre-production (first manufacturing run) device just lost it's USB connectivity to a bump in the road at an inopportune time :( on the way back from a show.

The connector on my production unit feels stronger to me, but thats a totally subjective assessment. Keyboard has a better feel to it as well ;)

Any possibility we could get some clarification/reassuring on how the durability was improved here?

jaark 2009-12-15 14:39

Quote:

Is that (one of0 the reason(s) for the initial delay?

Also, how does the mounting of the micro-usb on the N900 compare to that on the N810?