maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Apple iTablet On The Way ? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28969)

Yaser88 2009-05-13 16:50

Apple iTablet On The Way ?

having feared the n97 will effectively kill the scope for NiT's, apple is set to launch its own heavyweight tablet. interesting times . .

http://www.gsmarena.com/a_leaked_scr...9-news-906.php

Cadabena 2009-05-13 17:19

Re: Apple iTablet On The Way ?

Yeah, Apple's touch screen tablet has been rumoured for a long time. Expect it to cost 2-3 times more than the N810 though, or even N900 for that matter. I'd not seen those new iPhone specs though... juicy stuff. I can't believe people are buying iPhones knowing that a new and better one will be out in a years time.

Laughing Man 2009-05-13 18:27

I's also to big (at least from the pictures I've seen). Not pocketable, it's about the size of some netbooks out there.

johnkzin 2009-05-13 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laughing Man (Post 287145)
I's also to big (at least from the pictures I've seen). Not pocketable, it's about the size of some netbooks out there.

They already have a pocketable device on the market: the iPod Touch. That's not what the new tablet is rumored to address. It's going to address the netbook and UMPC type markets.

I'd love to see something like this one:

MacBook Touch

But I doubt it'll happen :-)

Otherwise, even just a plain tablet, but one that has video out and USB host ports (so you can connect it to a KVM) would be good enough. As long as it runs desktop OS X, and not iphone os x ... though, desktop OS X with a mobile GUI would be good.

tso 2009-05-13 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadabena (Post 287123)
I can't believe people are buying iPhones knowing that a new and better one will be out in a years time.

one could say the same about people buying the nokia tablets these days.

gerbick 2009-05-13 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by tso (Post 287226)
one could say the same about people buying the nokia tablets these days.

Seriously still feeling the sting from my prior purchases. But as it stands, OS X in both forms - iPhone/iPod and desktop/laptop - are both being updated and continued and supported.

You'd have to have a G4 to be excluded now in that market. In the internet tablet portion - it's one update (770 had OS2005 then 2006... end; N810 had OS2008 and then Diablo... end) - and that's it.

And that's poor. So I'd welcome anything from Apple - I know it'll be supported for more than one major official update.

tso 2009-05-13 23:41

well, nokia is assisting the communtiy in keeping the tablets going.

and i feel i should mention the $10 that apple wants for the 3.0 upgrade to the ipod touch...

Laughing Man 2009-05-14 00:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnkzin (Post 287215)
They already have a pocketable device on the market: the iPod Touch. That's not what the new tablet is rumored to address. It's going to address the netbook and UMPC type markets.

I'd love to see something like this one:

MacBook Touch

But I doubt it'll happen :-)

Otherwise, even just a plain tablet, but one that has video out and USB host ports (so you can connect it to a KVM) would be good enough. As long as it runs desktop OS X, and not iphone os x ... though, desktop OS X with a mobile GUI would be good.

True, the IPod Touch / iPhone is Apple's response to the pocketable market. But it's to locked down for me. A tablet with OSX hopefully wouldn't suffer the same problems. Shame it won't be small enough though.

johnkzin 2009-05-14 00:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laughing Man (Post 287275)
True, the IPod Touch / iPhone is Apple's response to the pocketable market. But it's to locked down for me. A tablet with OSX hopefully wouldn't suffer the same problems. Shame it won't be small enough though.

While I agree that the iPone and iPod Touch are too locked down, I don't see them creating a product that directly competes with their star player.

You could always try getting an Atom based MID and try to hackintosh it ;-)

Laughing Man 2009-05-14 00:52

Haha, true. Or install Ubuntu.

I'm happy with the tablet actually, my only gripe with it is that I can't use it out and about (no internet connection). And it won't be till another year or two till I acquire a phone with a data plan (Android). Of course in a year or two more advancements will happen :).