maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Sailfish OS on Fairphone 2 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96615)

Feathers McGraw 2016-04-08 19:02

Sailfish OS on Fairphone 2

We have a general thread for the discussion of Fairphone (the company), but no thread for discussing the port of Sailfish OS for Fairphone 2 specifically.

Hopefully this can be it :)

The Fairphone 2 is one of the best supported devices for SFOS, and due to its modular construction the hardware should have a long life.

I ordered mine at the end of Feb but haven't got it yet. If you have yours, hype me up ;)

HtheB 2016-04-08 20:36

Re: Sailfish OS on Fairphone 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw (Post 1503105)

Yeah.... Without the dalvik......:(

gerbick 2016-04-08 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1503111)
Yeah.... Without the dalvik......

Wait... I thought they licensed SFOS, so that would have meant Alien Dalvik too, no? Really curious about this.

Feathers McGraw 2016-04-08 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1503111)
Yeah.... Without the dalvik......:(

I always forget that people rely on this, I've never used aliendalvik.

Hoping that the excellent work that has been done on sfdroid will make it to the other ports, at which point I'll start using it. The UI is already tied to the success of Jolla as a company, I don't want to rely on any more proprietary components that can't be maintained by the community of Jolla goes under.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1503119)
Wait... I thought they licensed SFOS, so that would have meant Alien Dalvik too, no? Really curious about this.

I think it was just under discussion... I've been looking for news about this but haven't heard any.

Bundyo 2016-04-09 07:07

They just announced cooperation with Jolla and more or less confirmed that Alien Dalvik will come to Fairphone, soon™.

locusf 2016-04-09 11:48

Sfdroid experiments are under way, otherwise Sailfish works quite brilliantly on FP2.

ste-phan 2016-04-09 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1503119)

As I have understood it, licensees of Sailfish OS get Alien Dalvik

This Fairphone port is community supported, not official. Strange given the alignment (at least in marketing terms) of both companies that this has not yet resulted in a spontaneous wedding.

I hope Jolla could focus on official Fairphone support soon after the Intex launch.

HtheB 2016-04-11 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw (Post 1503123)
I always forget that people rely on this, I've never used aliendalvik.

The problem is that for example, banking apps are only available on the 2 biggest platforms (Android, iOS)
So I don't have a choice :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 1503129)
They just announced cooperation with Jolla and more or less confirmed that Alien Dalvik will come to Fairphone, soon™.

I've personally asked them if it will support dalvik, they replied that it's not coming since it's not an official port, but rather a community port, just like the Nexus one...

nh1402 2016-04-11 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1503268)
The problem is that for example, banking apps are only available on the 2 biggest platforms (Android, iOS)
So I don't have a choice :(

I've personally asked them if it will support dalvik, they replied that it's not coming since it's not an official port, but rather a community port, just like the Nexus one...

Well have you seen what krnlyng/liar teased, the other day. Just wait till you see the next update!

HtheB 2016-04-11 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by nh1402 (Post 1503271)
Well have you seen what krnlyng/liar teased, the other day. Just wait till you see the next update!

Would this actually work on the Jolla phone itself?
Because, you know.............
<yo dawg meme>
http://i.imgur.com/FOtRm2K.jpg