maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Proposed handover of maemo.org from Nokia should be discussed before people vote (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=62447)

SD69 2010-09-17 15:14

Proposed handover of maemo.org from Nokia should be discussed before people vote

Thank you Jaffa for posting key points as follows to mailing list:

" * Nokia wants to give complete control of maemo.org to the community.
* Nemein will, in accordance with Finnish law, act as the legal
owner.
* Work will be prioritised by the Council, on behalf of the community.
* Nokia will go through the same process to get work done.
* ISPs manage up to the Apache level, everything above that is
managed by maemo.org team.
* This does not affect any trademarks."

The proposed handover of maemo.org should be addressed in this election. My concern is that most people in the community don't know about it at all, much less the relevant details. All candidates should comment on it immediately (before most people vote).

fpp 2010-09-17 15:27

Re: Proosed handover of maemo.org from Nokia should be discussed before people vote

Good catch, totally missed that one. Thanks for the heads-up !

Edit: maybe add back the second "p" in "proposed" ? :-)

YoDude 2010-09-17 15:30

Re: Proosed handover of maemo.org from Nokia should be discussed before people vote

Since this directed at "most people in the community" how about a link to this information from the forum itself?

sjgadsby 2010-09-17 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD69 (Post 819000)
All candidates should comment on it immediately (before most people vote).

Do you have specific questions? I don't anticipate that any candidate will be opposed to the handover.

I'm interested discovering more detail on what work Nemein can be asked to perform. I anticipate that Nokia funding will be provided at preventative maintenance levels, but it will be good to have that clarified.

I look forward to seeing community members take more responsibility for the maemo.org services upon which we rely.

geneven 2010-09-17 15:46

Finnish law requires that the site belong to Nemein? That's amazing. What happens if Nemein gets hit by a bus?

sjgadsby 2010-09-17 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneven (Post 819020)
Finnish law requires that the site belong to Nemein? That's amazing. What happens if Nemein gets hit by a bus?

The bus then owns maemo.org. Finnish law is quite clear in this.

bsving 2010-09-17 15:49

Who is Neimen?

SD69 2010-09-17 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjgadsby (Post 819013)
Do you have specific questions? I don't anticipate that any candidate will be opposed to the handover.

I'm interested discovering more detail on what work Nemein can be asked to perform. I anticipate that Nokia funding will be provided at preventative maintenance levels, but it will be good to have that clarified.

I look forward to seeing community members take more responsibility for the maemo.org services upon which we rely.

Yes, I have questions and you actually anticipated some of them (but let others speak for themselves). The other obvious question is how does the community control maemo.org if another entity owns it?

Before moving on too far, someone should probably explain the proposal since what I reposted was merely minutes and not meant as an explanation.

link is here:

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...er/004494.html

zehjotkah 2010-09-17 16:23

As far as I understood, Nemein just owns it so that there is an owner (somone who is responsible).
It does not have any special right or something (like taking maemo.org offline).
So it is totally possible for the community (or the persons who represents the community) to control maemo.org.

lma 2010-09-17 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD69 (Post 819029)
The other obvious question is how does the community control maemo.org if another entity owns it?

Quick answer: the community never owned it.

Quote:

Before moving on too far, someone should probably explain the proposal since what I reposted was merely minutes and not meant as an explanation.
The full meeting log is here (also linked in the maemo-communtiy message), discussion on this topic starts at 16:23.