maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Group MMS (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99771)

lancewex 2017-08-29 23:51

Re: Group MMS

How hard to implement can this possibly be? I am not a programmer, so really asking.

juiceme 2017-08-30 04:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1533564)
I use group MMS to broadcast to many people one item that would only be replaced with sending 10 people the same damn message over and over. Now that's wasteful.

Nonono, you got me all wrong!

I did not mean "wasteful from the point of the user", since this is absolutely efficient from the point of the user;

I meant "wasteful as there are many messages to be sent on the background, invisible to the user"
And also costly for those people that are on subscription that charges for number-of-sent-mms'es

juiceme 2017-08-30 04:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancewex (Post 1533572)
How hard to implement can this possibly be? I am not a programmer, so really asking.

Not very difficult if it is implemented the way I described.
But, just as I had never heard about the feature or thought that it could be necessary, same might well apply to the developers at Jolla.

pichlo 2017-08-30 04:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1533578)
Not very difficult if it is implemented the way I described.
But, just as I had never heard about the feature or thought that it could be necessary, same might well apply to the developers at Jolla.

I have not heard about group MMS either. But that is hardly surprising given that I have never sent or received a single MMS in my entire life. Still, I find this thread rather educational.

But Jolla developers are (should be) different animals. They develop an application implementing a given standard, they should know that standard.

juiceme 2017-08-30 05:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1533582)
I have not heard about group MMS either. But that is hardly surprising given that I have never sent or received a single MMS in my entire life. Still, I find this thread rather educational.

But Jolla developers are (should be) different animals. They develop an application implementing a given standard, they should know that standard.

Yes, but that's just the point!

"Group MMS" is not a 3GPP standard, it seems to be an extension thought out later and implemented on some platforms.
@imaginaryenemy says it works on Android, WP, iOS and BB10 but as I googled a bit it seems it does not work correctly even on some Androids. :D

imaginaryenemy 2017-08-30 11:34

I would imagine that any issues with group MMS on the platforms I mentioned are with third party apps.

At this point group MMS is as ubiquitous call waiting.

jukk 2017-08-30 11:40

Never even heard about the thing. I guess it isn't used a lot in Europe. The few MMS I've received in my life usually didn't contain the picture that was sent (some error at either end). I haven't received or sent an MMS for years.

juiceme 2017-08-30 12:23

I use a lot of MMS'es, almost daily.
And indeed this is the first time I ever heard about Group MMS.

However, as @imaginaryenemy said, it seems to be a client implementation feature.

taixzo 2017-08-30 13:52

On the topic of network messages that SFOS doesn't implement: the other day I was reading about the missile that overflew Japan, and citizens living in the area received an alert on their phones. This reminded me that I've seen those alerts before, on Android phones, for flood warnings or Amber alerts. This seems like something SFOS should implement as well; it would not be good to be less safe in the event of a disaster because our OS did not display the warning.

pichlo 2017-08-30 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1533634)
On the topic of network messages that SFOS doesn't implement: the other day I was reading about the missile that overflew Japan, and citizens living in the area received an alert on their phones. This reminded me that I've seen those alerts before, on Android phones, for flood warnings or Amber alerts.

Cell broadcast? That is an old technology, implemented since the days of dumb phones. It would be a shame if SFOS did not implemented it but not surprising. There are quite a number of features that old "dumb" phones implemented better than new "smart" phones. Probably because they were phones, not multipurpose devices with the phone functionality bolted on.