maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257)

Win7Mac 2014-12-04 11:25

[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application

A membership application form can be downloaded from here:
http://wiki.maemo.org/File:MCeV_ApplicationForm.pdf
http://wiki.maemo.org/File:MCeV_ApplicationForm.odt

Please send the completed form to board[at]maemo[dot]org.

MC eV wiki page: http://wiki.maemo.org/MaemoCommunity_eV

For general questions about Maemo Community e.V., please visit this thread.

reinob 2014-12-04 12:10

Re: [MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application

@Win7Mac,

Thanks. What's the date of entry? does that mean, the date when one joined maemo.org or the date of entry into the Maemo e.V.?

Which data is mandatory? (address? telephone? irc? -- I don't do IRC --).

Cheers.

juiceme 2014-12-04 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by reinob (Post 1450633)
@Win7Mac,

Thanks. What's the date of entry? does that mean, the date when one joined maemo.org or the date of entry into the Maemo e.V.?

Cheers.

T̶h̶a̶t̶'̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶j̶o̶i̶n̶ ̶M̶a̶e̶m̶o̶ ̶C̶o̶m̶m̶u̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶e̶.̶V̶.̶,̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶s̶i̶g̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶l̶i̶c̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶

edit: Sorry I gave wrong info above!

IRC registration is mandatory optional but of course "nice-to-have" as meetings eg General Assembly will be mostly conducted via IRC.

reinob 2014-12-04 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1450637)
IRC is optional but of course "nice-to-have" as meetings will be mostly conducted via IRC.

Unbelievable, but after having "resisted" for more than 20 years I have now started to use the IRC (registered with freenode anyway).

Now all I need is to reinstall Mosaic (for Gopher :) and Elm and I'm all set :)

peterleinchen 2014-12-04 16:00

Nice! For me it was only 10y.
So you are welcome to join #maemo and of course #maemo-meeting next Tuesday 20:00UTC :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by reinob (Post 1450633)
@Win7Mac,

Date of entry is after maemo.org account, so I am pretty sure this is the date of garage account creation. As you will sign the form on the lower left with (the current) date.

Afaik the real name, address and the birth dates (besides the garage.maemo.org account) are mandatory.
irc and phone not.

But wait for Win7Mac to confirm.

@Win7Mac
maybe the form should clearly state that?

juiceme 2014-12-04 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1450661)
Date of entry is after maemo.org account, so I am pretty sure this is the date of garage account creation. As you will sign the form on the lower left with (the current) date.

Absolutely right!

I gave wrong advice in my first post, I did not notice the first date box at all, I was looking at the date filed down the page, next to your signature!

Win7Mac 2014-12-04 21:06

Thanks for the hints.
I've updated the application form and marked the mandatory fields with *.
Would be nice if you look up the creation date of your garage account under https://garage.maemo.org/account/.

reinob 2014-12-05 08:56

Application sent!

Mama, I'm a member of something! :))))

Win7Mac 2014-12-05 19:47

Not just yet... MC eV Board has to confirm first.
That will be your entry date to MC eV. ;)
But... since I see no reason why chemist and juiceme would deny that - a very warm welcome already! :)

I hope many others will follow!
Remember, regular members only will elect the next Board in the next General Meeting which is supposed to happen in Q1 2015.
Hopefully the transition from HiFo will be completed by then.

Win7Mac 2014-12-09 23:35

Please don't rush, not all at once and just one application form per person please! :rolleyes:
ok, had some discussion with board and updated the application form on their behalf again.
Mandatory personal info that needs to be submitted now is:
- Salutation
- Full real name
- Country
- Accountname (garage.maemo.org)
- IRC nick (registered @ freenode.net!)*
* Registered IRC nick is needed to verify valid voters. Board elections will be held there by raising voice, not via the maemo voting engine.

We hope this better suits your right to informal self-determination. ;)
Either way, this is a relation based on trust. Be aware that providing false info may lead to immediate exclusion.

Sooo... join the club! So far, there's only 7,5 of us...

Please be aware that MC eV is not yet resposible for any official maemo matters, it is still waiting for handover of HiFo assets.

wiki pages:
http://wiki.maemo.org/MaemoCommunity_eV
http://wiki.maemo.org/Hildon_Foundation/Hildon_e.V.

Anything still unclear? - please ask.

wicket 2014-12-10 00:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Win7Mac (Post 1451397)
Anything still unclear? - please ask.

Salutation? Are we supposed to write "Hello" or similar in that field? :D

Win7Mac 2014-12-10 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1451402)
Salutation?

Yeah, like Mr., Mrs., Prof., Dr., Imperator, White Wizard and the likes... ;)

wicket 2014-12-10 00:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Win7Mac (Post 1451403)

Oh, you mean "Title". Sorry, I've just never seen it written as "Salutation". :P

HtheB 2014-12-10 00:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Win7Mac (Post 1451403)

Isn't that called a Title? :)

Edit:
Ninja'd by wicket :D

szopin 2014-12-10 01:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1451402)
Salutation? Are we supposed to write "Hello" or similar in that field? :D

Sex? Yes, please

peterleinchen 2014-12-10 23:09

This (thread) has nothing to do with council election but is worth a bump, too.

According to the (lame) feedback here and acceptance of board, I hopefully will get an one-digit personal registering number!? ;)

So please if you are interested to support and keep Maemo alive, fill this form and send it in.

wicket 2014-12-11 01:53

I'm still unsure about whether I want to become a member of the eV (although I guess I ought to should I choose to accept my council nomination :P). I have some concerns.

Who will have access the data we provide on the application forms? What measures will be taken to keep the data secure?

Wikiwide 2014-12-11 04:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1451562)
I'm still unsure about whether I want to become a member of the eV (although I guess I ought to should I choose to accept my council nomination :P). I have some concerns.

Who will have access the data we provide on the application forms? What measures will be taken to keep the data secure?

Quick reply...

Bumping the thread...

The deadline is somewhen in 2015, right?

Best wishes.

juiceme 2014-12-11 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1451562)

First, it is not necessary to be MC e.V. member to be in the council, altough it probably would be nicer. But no requirement.

Second, the personal data of the applications will be reviewed by Board when approving members, and the date is confidental. It will not be used for any other purpose except member validation.
I will have to check on what are the exact protection methods from Chemist who handles the applications, but there are also EU and German legal requirements on maintaining such a register.

peterleinchen 2014-12-11 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikiwide (Post 1451568)
The deadline is somewhen in 2015, right?

There is no deadline!
You may become member any time as long as board accepts (and Maemo e.V. exists).
But to become an accepted institution we should raise the number of
members right now: up to the sky ;)

peterleinchen 2014-12-12 07:20

just bumping, trying to keep it in your heads until you decide :D

Win7Mac 2014-12-12 17:16

Updated application form (now says 'title') and added odt type apllication form and edited first post.

www.rzr.online.fr 2014-12-12 21:47

May i suggest to not overlap with current election ...

I am unsure members have an infinite attention window... and it may add some confusion and none of action will see the benefit ... Is it ok to postpone to 2015?

i'll join after election not before

Win7Mac 2014-12-12 23:32

Sure you're free to opt in later, take your time.
As stated earlier, MC eV is ready and waiting to inherit HiFo. But it is nothing before that happened. Membership will become relevant for next MC eV board elections which will be announced weeks ahead so there'll be enough time to consider then.
By joining the eV already, you're basically showing your support of the whole thing.

Estel 2014-12-12 23:57

I knew I'll send the membership application since the beginning, but only now I've found enough free time to dig all the required details (hint: things like my name weren't the one needed digging, rather the obscure things like garage details and IRC registers), so the form is send :)

Thanks for the work on translating all those legal notes to English - I imagine that it must have been one tedious process.

BTW,

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme;
IRC is optional but of course "nice-to-have" as meetings will be mostly conducted via IRC.

...then the "IRC" field in the .odt form should lose its *(mandatory) mark.

/Estel

Win7Mac 2014-12-13 00:05

Post 10:
Quote:

- Salutation (now: Title)
- Full real name
- Country
* Registered IRC nick is needed to verify valid voters.
Board elections will be held there by raising voice, not via the maemo voting engine.

10 chars

wicket 2014-12-13 02:23

Quote:

* Registered IRC nick is needed to verify valid voters. Board elections will be held there by raising voice, not via the maemo voting engine.

So voting will no longer be anonymous then?

Estel 2014-12-13 03:35

Why we need to drop Maemo's voting system, which is tested (proven to work well), anonymous, etc? German law prohibit anonymous voting for organization's representatives, perhaps?

/Estel

foobar 2014-12-13 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1451951)
German law prohibit anonymous voting for organization's representatives, perhaps?

/Estel

This part I can answer: nope. :)

peterleinchen 2014-12-13 11:32

Simple reason:
it is much easier to count 'hands up' in an IRC meeting than set up an election?

And a few (lot of) 'Vereine' just do so in general meetings.

mr_pingu 2014-12-13 13:00

Do I need to be a member? I can't find directly why becoming a member is needed or why should one be a member. What is a member, rather than an registered account here at MO?

Actually 1 simple question: What does this mean? :P

peterleinchen 2014-12-13 13:40

There is absolutely no 'must' to be a member of Maemo e.V.
Membership is absolutely on your own decision.

Do not have the links at hand, but search for bylaws of Maemo e. V.
good starting point: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93476

normal garage account (not tmo) will be passive member
registered people will be regular member

Win7Mac 2014-12-13 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1451945)
So voting will no longer be anonymous then?

It is planned like that, yes. Sounds like this means a problem for some. If so, please elaborate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1451951)
Why we need to drop Maemo's voting system...

Not needed really, we may as well decide to use the voting engine.
BUT it was the assumption that
1) the number of members wouldn't be really high
2) the number of board candidates needed (3) will be hardly met.
3) board candidates are expected to be reelected unless they really mess up

The last point obviously needs some clarification:
First, we need to distinguish between representative and regular board members:
Representative board members are those that need to sign at court and that are authorized to fully represent the association. They need to be EU citicens or residents.
Regular board members may add up to the representative ones. They don't need to register at court and no restrictions apply to their nationality or residence.
In our case, MC eV board is designed to constist of at least 3 representative board members, a chair and two Deputy Directors. Any two of these three Board members together are authorized to fully represent the association (4 eye principle). So while all three have access to the bank account, only two together can take action.

This means that every change of the 3 representative board members needs to be filed to court.
Much more problematic is getting new people from various (EU) countrys to have access to the bank account. This has been an issue for HiFo eversince.
You see, a high fluctuation rate in board positions is not exactly desirable and also not very common in similar associations.

The maemo voting engine is designed for Council elections and utilizes the single transferable vote (STV) voting system which designed to achieve proportional representation through ranked voting in multi-seat constituencies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
This is not what's needed for Board. We thought it would be better to put it like this:
Vote for candidate A (Yes/No/abstention), vote for candidate B (Yes/No/abstention) and so on.
Those with a majority of Yes-votes get in, those with a majority of No-votes are out. Simple as that.
In order to hold elections this way, but anonimously, maybe we can establish a second voting engine that works like this for Board elections.

wicket 2014-12-13 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1452005)
Simple reason:
it is much easier to count 'hands up' in an IRC meeting than set up an election?

And a few (lot of) 'Vereine' just do so in general meetings.

Could you please explain in more detail how IRC voting will work? Will voters list all of their candidates on IRC at once (which would mean manual calculation) or does "hands up" mean it will it be one round at a time? If it is one round at a time, must all voters join the IRC channel at a specific time and stay for the duration of all rounds? Either way, it sounds like it could cause more problems than setting up an election with the existing voting system.

I always assumed that the exisitng system was automated. What's so complicated about it that makes setting it up a problem and why can't it be automated?

Win7Mac 2014-12-13 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1452050)
If it is one round at a time, must all voters join the IRC channel at a specific time and stay for the duration of all rounds?

Bylaws § 9 General Assembly:
Quote:

(8) An active member can be represented by another active member in the General Assembly by written authority, however no member may represent more than 5 members.

wicket 2014-12-13 17:53

The new membership requirement and new voting system make it far too cumbersome for the ordinary person to bother voting in my opinion. I'll vote in the coming election but after that I'm out.

Wikiwide 2014-12-13 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1452059)
The new membership requirement and new voting system make it far too cumbersome for the ordinary person to bother voting in my opinion. I'll vote in the coming election but after that I'm out.

Fortunately, the new membership requirement and the new voting system are only for the Board.

Still, it would be advisable to find an "easier" voting system. Which would not require for all voters to be awake and present during specific hour(s) of election. The advantage of Council-like voting-through-website is that everybody chooses the time for voting by himself-herself within specified election-window (several days?).

Best wishes.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Coun...ection_Q4_2014

wicket 2014-12-13 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikiwide (Post 1452070)
Fortunately, the new membership requirement and the new voting system are only for the Board.

That's true, but what concerns me is that quite a few have previously spoken out about getting rid of the council and merging it with the board e.V. and I was under the impression that this is the direction it's heading.

Win7Mac 2014-12-14 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1452073)
getting rid of the council and merging it with the board...

Not at all, if anything, Council could be merged with the General Meeting!

minimos 2014-12-14 15:51

Quote:

- Salutation
- Full real name
- Country

Country as country of residence or as country of citizenship?