maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Games (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Yet another OpenTTD port (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29234)

javispedro 2009-05-29 19:14

Yet another OpenTTD port

I couldn't get any of the already available OpenTTD ports to work on my N810, so I decided I would start yet another one, this time from a pristine OpenTTD-0.7.0.

And either 0.7.0 has some fixes for arm or the CFLAGS I gave it did wonders ( -Os -march=armv6j -mtune=arm1136jf-s -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=softfp), because this is the first openttd binary I've found that works for more than 30 seconds without crashing on my N810!

Also, many of the features of previous ports seem to be now in the upstream package (like tap-to-drag): thank you all! This port is way simpler for this reason.

Port features:
  • The usual SDL hildonization: appears on task navigator and application menu; does not have mouse cursor.
  • Icons everywhere (including application manager)
  • Kinetic scrolling
  • Fullscreen and zoom in/out button support

This version stores saved games on My Documents/Games/OpenTTD , and searches its data files in /usr/share/games/openttd (the data package symlinks that folder to memory card if appropiate).

Download:
Now available in maemo.org extras! Use the Application Manager to install it.

You no longer need to have the commercial data files (trg??.grf and sample.cat), but if you want them, they are available in the original Windows game disc. Read OpenTTD wiki for details.
Md5sum of the ones I'm using:
Code:

de53650517fe661ceaa3138c6edb0eb8  openttd/data/trgtr.grf
06bf2b7a31766f048baac2ebe43457b1  openttd/data/trghr.grf
0c2484ff6be49fc63a83be6ab5c38f32  openttd/data/trgir.grf
3668f410c761a050b5e7095a2b14879b  openttd/data/trgcr.grf
b04ce593d8c5016e07473a743d7d3358  openttd/data/trg1r.grf
9212e81e72badd4bbe1eaeae66458e10  openttd/data/sample.cat

Or you can also use the OpenGFX package available in extras-devel.

Standard disclaimer: backup your files, savegames, your money, everything you can before using this. Also be sure you can download the previous version (just in case something goes wrong).

Source is available in extras too.

b-man 2009-05-30 01:21

Re: Yet another OpenTTD port

This looks totally awesome!!!! I've tryed several times to get openttd working on my tablet but hopefully i'll have better luck this time. :)

javispedro 2009-05-30 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty12 (Post 291972)
(e.g scroll window when mouse on edge)

That feature is now in upostream too! Check "advanced options".

javispedro 2009-06-22 18:54

I'm preparing the next release (0.7.1-1), but I have some packaging & extras related questions:

1 ) What to do with data files? I took a look at pingus package sources to understand what they're doing with them. While already better than no distributing data files at all it seems like a fragile solution -- e.g. it removes all data files in preinst script. In OpenTTD I would need to delete only files installed by the package (so that I don't delete the commercial user installed files). If I don't delete files at all in preinst dpkg-deb fails with some error message about doing links "for backup reasons" (links? on vfat?) .

I also though about doing more than one data package:
openttd-data-on-internal-card (default)
openttd-data-on-external-card
openttd-data-on-rootfs
openttd-data-stub (does nothing but satisfy openttd' dependencies).
This fixes the fact that installing pingus or most data packages require user interactivity ("do you want to install to card? yes/no") by just installing all data files to card by default but allowing the power user to install on external card or rootfs doing apt-get install "openttd-data-on-external-card".

Also whenever Fremantle comes it will break all of this.

2 ) There's already a (few months older) openttd package in extras-devel. What's the usual approach to this?

3 ) And of course... did this work for you? :)

BTW. In 0.7.1-1 I've moved saved games to My Documents/Games/OpenTTD (where they should be), added support for the fullscreen button on the main menu window, and hided the mouse pointer by default.
Also, the OpenTTD team fixed a lot of bugs.

mikkov 2009-06-22 19:20

Optimal solution would be where user installed (not from deb) and system files (from deb) are separate. But it's probably pretty difficult to do in this case. Multiple alternative data packages would be fine, but I would like to see only one package in user/ category.

Pingus would install data files to internal mmc by default if there wasn't N800.

Note that debs which are installed to fat partition cannot be updated unless the files are deleted in preinst, or at least that's the reason for pingus deleting them.

javispedro 2009-06-22 21:22

I'm considering creating a "data file list" at package build time and deleting just those files at "prerm upgrade" time.

Smells hacky, but...

MrWeasel 2009-06-22 22:39

When trying to start I get the following error:

Code:

Error: No available language packs (invalid versions?)
Google says there might be some 'lang' folder missing, which is apparently not included in the .deb?
(I had some other version of OpenTTD installed before and simply updated. I've already deleted my ~/.openttd folder and put the DATA files to the specified folder on mmc2. Might there be some other conflicting data from the old version?)

javispedro 2009-06-22 22:48

The version in the first post does not have ANY data files at all (that includes lang files). Check the "non-commercial data files" link in that post.

Next version will have a data files package. So that'll be automatic.

MrWeasel 2009-06-22 22:53

Oh. Stupid. Thanks... should read the whole post.. ;)

javispedro 2009-06-22 23:50

Ok, 0.7.1 up! Check first post for downloads (not on extras yet).

This has a new data package which allows the user to choose where to install data files (internal memory card or rootfs).
Moves saved games folder to My Documents/Games.
Hides mouse cursor.

And also lots of bugfixes from the OpenTTD team.