maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   using a bluetooth keyboard with the N9 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79194)

Venty 2011-10-18 18:30

using a bluetooth keyboard with the N9

Hello everybody.

Having received my cyan N9 just yesterday, I tried to pair it with my mini bluetooth keyboard. It is a GeneralKeys PX-2563-675 (sold by Pearl.de). Pairing works fine with the Playstation 3 and with the help of a driver for HID on Android 2.3.

Now, the N9 discovers the device as a bluetooth keyboard and pairing seems to work too. To pair, I have to push a button on the keyboard and then enter the PIN the N9 displays. After that, it says "paired".

Sadly, I'm not able to use it. I tried typing in the notes program as well as the terminal and in messages, but no reaction. Could it be that HID drivers are missing in Harmattan? I remember the same being the problem in Fremantle (as well as with Android). Or am I just missing something? Has anyone been able to successfully use a bluetooth keyboard with the N9 yet?

jalyst 2011-10-18 19:58

Re: using a bluetooth keyboard with the N9

Thanks for sharing, maybe also ask here
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78598

Cheers

ajalkane 2011-10-18 20:10

I heard in IRC, before N9 was released, that the support for BlueTooth keyboards was not completed. So it might not work. But I was also told, that all the relevant code is open-source so can be made to work by our wonderful community if there's someone willing to put the work in.

Take that as you will, I have not studied this more.

slai 2011-10-18 20:19

If it wasnt completed its probably completed in PR 1.1, as mentioned 1.1 will have features that didnt make it in time into 1.0.

ajalkane 2011-10-18 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by slai (Post 1110569)
If it wasnt completed its probably completed in PR 1.1, as mentioned 1.1 will have features that didnt make it in time into 1.0.

My understanding was, that it was just dropped due to time and or resource restrictions and not continued. So I don't think PR 1.1 will have it, but perhaps if people file support requests it could make into PR 1.2?

Anyway, I'm encouraged that it should be possible by community do it. If it's really so, then I'm sure there's some people around that will make it available due time even if Nokia won't allocate resources to it.

afaq 2011-10-18 20:42

Support for this and that not completed. Rubbish. N900 came out in Sept 2009. 2 years ago. Wtf have Nokia been doing? Playing with symbian themes and fonts and offering hundreds of thousands of dollars to developers to make average apps and invent ringtones. Get your house in order Nokia.

ajalkane 2011-10-18 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by afaq (Post 1110579)
Support for this and that not completed. Rubbish. N900 came out in Sept 2009. 2 years ago. Wtf have Nokia been doing? Playing with symbian themes and fonts and offering hundreds of thousands of dollars to developers to make average apps and invent ringtones. Get your house in order Nokia.

No need to get angry. I think the Harmattan developers at Nokia have done a tremendous job, and I'm forever grateful to them - this might be the phone I'll be using for quite some number of years.

Of course the upper echelons of Nokia are, in my opinion, totally out of touch with their WP strategy and lack of resources put into Maemo when it was important. But it is what it is. What we have is a great device, put together by some fine people. And we have the community that can make it even better.

In the context of this post, If it's true that we can make BT keyboards work by ourselves, I think there's no great cause for distress. It's open source working as intended.

pete_ 2011-10-19 03:51

I've raised a but report at:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12467

I'm unable to load the necessary kernel modules, even though they're present, despite logging in as root using devel-su

This doesn't look like it will be hard to get working, provided someone can find a way to get the modules loaded.

You can edit /etc/modules as root and add hidp, but this doesn't seem to cause the module to load at boot time.

Sorry.

pete_ 2011-10-19 05:12

Ok, I've figured out how to get the hidp module loaded.

Sorry it's a bit of a hack, because /etc/modules doesn't load it.

But here are the steps (at your own risk):

1. Activate developer mode.
2. log in as root see: http://www.basshero.org/blog/113/nok...e-ssh-security
3. using vi, edit /etc/modprobe.d/meego.conf
4. add the following line:

install hci_h4p /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install hci_h4p; /sbin/modprobe hidp

make sure there are no typos, save the file and shutdown and restart.

5. after reboot, open a terminal and type lsmod | grep hidp

you should see something like:

hidp 9700 0

But this won't make it work yet, it still requires something along the lines of the bt-kbd-remap or bt-hid-scripts to get the devices to pair properly.

Pete.

afaq 2011-10-19 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1110582)
No need to get angry. I think the Harmattan developers at Nokia have done a tremendous job, and I'm forever grateful to them - this might be the phone I'll be using for quite some number of years.

Of course the upper echelons of Nokia are, in my opinion, totally out of touch with their WP strategy and lack of resources put into Maemo when it was important. But it is what it is. What we have is a great device, put together by some fine people. And we have the community that can make it even better.

In the context of this post, If it's true that we can make BT keyboards work by ourselves, I think there's no great cause for distress. It's open source working as intended.

Have every right to be upset, but as you said it is not at the Harmattan developers. Decision makers at the top are to blame. I too will use device for at least another 2 years but it certainly is my last Nokia device.

Storm_11 2011-10-19 13:26

I can confirm I'm also having pairing problems.

I have a bluetooth mini keyboard that works fine on all other phones / devices. This n9 though, i will pair it, put in the passkey successfully, the N9 says its paired, but pressing the keys on the keyboard does nothing, and the bluetooth keyboard still says it hasn't been paired (blue light still flashing)

Venty 2011-10-19 18:18

That is the same effect I have with mine at the moment. Hopefully, this will be fixed in a future firmware version.

Thanks pete_ for opening a bugreport for this!

dnastase 2011-10-20 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by afaq (Post 1110781)
Have every right to be upset, but as you said it is not at the Harmattan developers. Decision makers at the top are to blame. I too will use device for at least another 2 years but it certainly is my last Nokia device.

I think it's really pathetic! :(

Nokia has done this time and time again:
- not working on N810, scramble to make it work
- not working on N900, people made it work
- not working on N9 ?!

It's the same operating system for crying out loud! What? are they doing: rewriting everything every time ?! No wonder they are in trouble now.

We're talking about bluetooth here and not kernel stuff, just the linux distribution level.

If they cannot bring themselves to get this right, how are they going to compete with likes of Apple and Android ?! Oh, right, they can't! So they will use Windows ... I hope MS will give them the already customized OS otherwise Nokia will screw up that one too.

Pathetic!

Sniper_swe 2011-11-01 19:49

works with this fix http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/11/...h-keyboard-n9/

edit: step 7 should be hidd –-search

And if aegis gives you any trouble when trying to install try :

cd /home/user/MyDocs

then
dpkg -i bluez-test*

mscion 2012-01-08 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper_swe (Post 1117023)
works with this fix http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/11/...h-keyboard-n9/

edit: step 7 should be hidd –-search

And if aegis gives you any trouble when trying to install try :

cd /home/user/MyDocs

then
dpkg -i bluez-test*

Hi. I tried to follow the steps here. While the N9 detects my btkb it does not respond to my typing on btkb. Also when i try hidd on n9 in terminal (both with and without root) it gives

sh: hidd: not found

Any ideas?

Thanks!

jalyst 2012-01-09 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1147638)
Hi. I tried to follow the steps here. While the N9 detects my btkb it does not respond to my typing on btkb. Also when i try hidd on n9 in terminal (both with and without root) it gives

sh: hidd: not found

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Original thread that is the source for that story is here:
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4828&page=4
Sashz's OP was 31st of October, & updated 10th November.

mscion 2012-01-09 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1147923)
Original thread that is the source for that story is here:
Sashz's OP was 31st of October, & updated 10th November.

Thanks for this reference. I was able to pair an ultra mini keyboard made by spider with the N9 and, well, it worked! Numbers, letters, characters could be typed in terminal with the btkb. The tab didn't work, but, as I was reminded at the DMV a meeting this weekend, you can instead use "ctrl i", and, sure enough, I could complete path names (thanks cddiede!). The most important issue, (for now) is that if I swipe the vkb off the screen, I can no longer enter anything in terminal with the btkb. Is there a way to get around this? Perhaps, changing a setting in a config file so that text can be entered even if the vkb is not visible.

EDIT: I guess I'm a little slow here as I just noticed on Meego forum that rainisto has patched terminal to have option for toggling VKB on/off so that full terminal is available when using btkb. Hopefully these modifications will be made available!

jalyst 2012-01-10 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1148039)
Thanks for this reference. I was able to pair an ultra mini keyboard made by spider with the N9 and, well, it worked! Numbers, letters, characters could be typed in terminal with the btkb. The tab didn't work, but, as I was reminded at the DMV a meeting this weekend, you can instead use "ctrl i", and, sure enough, I could complete path names (thanks cddiede!).

Nice, can you please share this keyb in the accessories thread? (see my sig).

Quote:

The most important issue, (for now) is that if I swipe the vkb off the screen, I can no longer enter anything in terminal with the btkb. Is there a way to get around this? Perhaps, changing a setting in a config file so that text can be entered even if the vkb is not visible.
EDIT: I guess I'm a little slow here as I just noticed on Meego forum that rainisto has patched terminal to have option for toggling VKB on/off so that full terminal is available when using btkb. Hopefully these modifications will be made available!
LOL, yep I asked rainsto about that one in the other thread.

vitaminj 2012-01-10 12:22

Actually, I just found this on the Harmattan Bugzilla - it seems that bluetooth keyboard support is a not-officially-supported gconf setting that someone snuck in (akin to landscape homescreens):

Quote:

Originally Posted by https://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=50#c1
gconftool-2 -s --type boolean /meegotouch/inputmethods/accessoryenabled TRUE

There are some glitches where vkbs have to stay open to avoid losing focus (it doesn't change the same flag as having the hwkb open on the N950 I guess)

n.b. haven't actually tried this myself, just reading bug reports!

mscion 2012-01-10 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1148297)
Nice, can you please share this keyb in the accessories thread? (see my sig).

After further testing I cannot fully recomend the ultraslim btkb at this point. While I can make characters like @,#,$,%,... which are made with the shift key + some number, for some reason, the key commands that depend on Fn + other key for making {,},[,],',",\, esc, and so forth do not work. Perhaps it is a problem with my unit.

However, the Magic-Pro BT-Touch2 will produce all these characters. It also has a touch pad. I think it is controlling the motion of a cursor on the N9 but it is not visible. For example if I tap on the touch pad when am looking at the application screen it does start up an app. I just can't control which app it starts up! It would be really cool if a cursor could be made functional. Further, if one could integtrate swipe on N9 with a swipe motion on the touch pad that would be awesome!

jalyst 2012-01-10 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminj (Post 1148310)
Actually, I just found this on the Harmattan Bugzilla - it seems that bluetooth keyboard support is a not-officially-supported gconf setting that someone snuck in (akin to landscape homescreens):

There are some glitches where vkbs have to stay open to avoid losing focus (it doesn't change the same flag as having the hwkb open on the N950 I guess)

n.b. haven't actually tried this myself, just reading bug reports!

See this thread....

PortaDiFerro 2012-01-11 20:31

Anybody can recommend a good bluetooth keyboard? Been browsing dealextreme and other gadget sites, but hard to say if they are any good. Some slider iphone keyboard seemed like interesting concept, but probably doesn't fit. Main thing is to be able to use it on the go, so there should be somekinda support for the phone and the naturally the feel of the keys should be good for fast typing.

Dinovo Mini seems like one option, but it's kinda pricey.. just so broke after the phone, but ircing is such a pita on the vkb, good as it may be.

jalyst 2012-01-11 20:50

See the accessories thread in my sig.
Last few posts there's been some suggestions.

PortaDiFerro 2012-01-12 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1149114)
See the accessories thread in my sig.
Last few posts there's been some suggestions.

Thanks mate! That NFC keyboard seemed pretty awesome idea, but not quite what I'm looking for, none of the other suggestions seemed that interesting. I'll keep looking and I'll be sure to post there if I decide to buy some.

mscion 2012-01-12 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by PortaDiFerro (Post 1149403)
Thanks mate! That NFC keyboard seemed pretty awesome idea, but not quite what I'm looking for, none of the other suggestions seemed that interesting. I'll keep looking and I'll be sure to post there if I decide to buy some.

I like the look of the NFC keyboard and I'm sure some other good candidates will be found that will meet ppls need. The problem I'm having with btkb + N9 is that once the vkb is swiped off the screen so that the terminal is full screen, you cannot enter what your typing. For me this defeats the purpose of using an external keyboard -having the larger full screen to work with. Indeed, using an external keyboard, with the full screen available, gives you as much visible space to work with as that obtained by a vkb on a device having, roughly, an inch bigger screen. I hope a developer can address this...

YavkatA 2012-03-26 22:35

I got the mini bluetooth keyboard. The fn keys don't work, just as on many other models. But I found a workaround. It needs the hid_apple driver to work properly, so it needs the openmode kernel compiled with

Code:

CONFIG_HID_APPLE=y
Tested this on Arch Linux and Debian, but I neeed a tutorial to properly compile the kernel. If you are willing to help, please PM me or post a tutorial.

aironeous 2012-03-27 04:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1148366)
After further testing I cannot fully recomend the ultraslim btkb at this point. While I can make characters like @,#,$,%,... which are made with the shift key + some number, for some reason, the key commands that depend on Fn + other key for making {,},[,],',",\, esc, and so forth do not work. Perhaps it is a problem with my unit.

However, the Magic-Pro BT-Touch2 will produce all these characters. It also has a touch pad. I think it is controlling the motion of a cursor on the N9 but it is not visible. For example if I tap on the touch pad when am looking at the application screen it does start up an app. I just can't control which app it starts up! It would be really cool if a cursor could be made functional. Further, if one could integtrate swipe on N9 with a swipe motion on the touch pad that would be awesome!

Oh yeah that would be awesome an app called N900 mouse cursor. And we can activate it by swiping the touchpad on the magic pro.
I have the original magic-pro BT keyboard but here is the second generation one on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Pro-BT-T.../dp/B004YR56LI

I tried pairing my magic-pro on pr 1.1 and it worked fine. When i found out the arrows keys from mes input keyboards worked on pr 1.2 I dropped the idea of using the magic-pro BT keyboard but sadly the arrow keys are not working for a lot of things. Many text input sites arrow keys don't work on firefox and also in sms arrow keys don't work.
I have not tried to pair my kb since I updated to pr 1.2

edit: just tried it and whatever they did in pr 1.2 it no longer works. It pairs if you initiate the pairing on the N9 then type in the code you see on the screen on the keyboard and hit enter but then there is no result when you type.

aironeous 2012-03-27 04:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm_11 (Post 1110890)
I can confirm I'm also having pairing problems.

I have a bluetooth mini keyboard that works fine on all other phones / devices. This n9 though, i will pair it, put in the passkey successfully, the N9 says its paired, but pressing the keys on the keyboard does nothing, and the bluetooth keyboard still says it hasn't been paired (blue light still flashing)

Same here with the magic pro
and i already tried step 7 at http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/11/...h-keyboard-n9/

aironeous 2012-05-08 02:45

The app in the store called BT input solved my problem. I can now pair the TK-421 meant for the iphone to my N9. I will now modify it to fit a cheap black case I got off of ebay.

Marqez00 2012-12-31 14:58

Hi everybody, someone knows if a thing like this
http://www.ebay.it/itm/Bluetooth-wir...item2318e49755 can work? I've got PR 1.3. I'm not interested in mini keyboards.

setter 2012-12-31 15:54

I've tried Nokias own SU-8W BT keyboard but that one doesn't work either. It connects okey but doesn't response at all. And that keyboard has worked for me on 6670, N95, 5800, C7 and N8 :mad:

Akkumaru 2013-01-07 16:03

i wonder if the Rii mini bluetooth keyboard works without any bugs? And also the same for the nuu minikey.

Thanks in advance.

vishwas 2013-01-07 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by setter (Post 1309466)
I've tried Nokias own SU-8W BT keyboard but that one doesn't work either. It connects okey but doesn't response at all. And that keyboard has worked for me on 6670, N95, 5800, C7 and N8 :mad:

Have been using the SU-8W keyboard on N9 from day one. It works without any problem. I use btinput app from Store to connect the keyboard.