maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   N9's hardware keys not working (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84415)

ejasmudar 2012-05-22 15:17

N9's hardware keys not working

So, today all of a sudden my hardware keys stopped working. First it started with just the Power key. Then soon the volume keys started going haywire as though it was being pressed. Then the volume keys also stopped working.

So, now none of my hardware keys are working. I am able to reboot/shutdow only via Xterm.

I have tried flashing firmware and emmc but still no dice. Anybody else faced this?

somedude 2012-05-22 16:20

Re: N9's hardware keys not working

Nope, but take the sim tray out and look for the white sticker on the body of the N9 (opposite side of the screen) if its still white you're good no moisture damage(could be liquid) and sometimes in very humid places that happens with out getting the electronics exposed to any sort of liquid. I don't know where you live or how the weather is but its worth checking. If all that good then take it apart and unplug the battery and plug back in (use good tools, you might strip the screw heads). That don't work then unplug the hardware button ribbon cable its close to the battery, its the left cable on the board if you staring it down. The ribbon cable runs under the board of N9. Good luck. If all fail, Nokia center is the place

ibrakalifa 2012-05-22 16:20

ever swap n9 case before? Thats weird, i never face that, and i wont, maybe others can help you

ejasmudar 2012-05-22 16:52

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by somedude (Post 1210829)
Nope, but take the sim tray out and look for the white sticker on the body of the N9 (opposite side of the screen) if its still white you're good no moisture damage(could be liquid) and sometimes in very humid places that happens with out getting the electronics exposed to any sort of liquid. I don't know where you live or how the weather is but its worth checking.

I've attached two pics, I dont know which white sticker you're talking about. But I've placed it in a bowl of rice just in case.

Quote:

If all that good then take it apart and unplug the battery and plug back in (use good tools, you might strip the screw heads). That don't work then unplug the hardware button ribbon cable its close to the battery, its the left cable on the board if you staring it down. The ribbon cable runs under the board of N9. Good luck. If all fail, Nokia center is the place
I'm not really comfortable with opening up my N9, especially as it is still under warranty.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa (Post 1210830)
ever swap n9 case before? Thats weird, i never face that, and i wont, maybe others can help you

No, no case swapping.

pycage 2012-05-22 17:04

The moisture indicator (the pink one on the 2nd image) indicates moisture as it seems. But I could be wrong as I'm not exactly sure if this is the moisture indicator (but it's white on mine and looks like a sticker).

godofwar424 2012-05-22 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by somedude (Post 1210829)
If all that good then take it apart and unplug the battery and plug back in (use good tools, you might strip the screw heads). That don't work then unplug the hardware button ribbon cable its close to the battery, its the left cable on the board if you staring it down. The ribbon cable runs under the board of N9. Good luck. If all fail, Nokia center is the place

Nokia Center should be FIRST!

Don't recommend somebody to start opening their device instead of taking it to Nokia..

Somebody would think its easy, open it up, break it, and then they will be unable to go Customer care due to voided warranty..

Manatus 2012-05-22 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by pycage (Post 1210846)
The moisture indicator (the pink one on the 2nd image) indicates moisture as it seems. But I could be wrong as I'm not exactly sure if this is the moisture indicator (but it's white on mine and looks like a sticker).

Confirming that it is white here too.

somedude 2012-05-22 17:30

you see that pink spot next to sim slot yeah that should've been white, so it has been water damaged . So basically it means you do not have any warranty. Just go ahead and get you another case take it apart and dip it in rice bowl. There might be a chemical that cures the logic board from water damage shop around I've heard of it. If you get it dip it on that for a week and try new casing.

ejasmudar 2012-05-22 20:09

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/im...JzGnT7t_3ZmKtw

So it IS water damage? Oh crapola! So that means no warranty also? Damn. Hope that rice fixes it. Else, I will have a very expensive brick in my hand. :(((

vitaminj 2012-05-22 21:04

Surely it's only water damage if you ... damaged it with water? You don't mention going swimming with it in your posts. If everything else about it still works, I'm surprised only the hardware buttons are failing?

Anyway, regardless of that sticker, get Nokia to look at it first. I guess that sticker is there for when the whole phone fails to work and a tech can quickly guess what's to blame. If only one thing doesn't work then hopefully that's a different story.

If they won't/can't fix it then someone with good torx screwdrivers will at least be able to clean and re-seat the hardware button ribbon connector quite easily.