maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Where can music/video/image files be stored on Nokia N9? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85739)

GringoT 2012-07-28 04:25

Where can music/video/image files be stored on Nokia N9?

I have searched for the answer to this, but had no luck in finding the answer. Help is appreciated.

I have copied (using the mass storage mode) numerous video and music files to my N9 and am running into the following problems:

- Music files are in MyDocs/Music/subfolders (sometimes up to three levels deep). The music player has been "updating the library" for over 6 hours now with no end in sight. What's going on? Any ideas?

- I put video files in the Movies folder, again up to three levels deep. Nothing shows in the videos app of the N9? I have no idea how to get that to refresh. Note that if I browse to the files using a file manager, they play fine, but I cannot see them in the video app, which is a little annoying...

- For pictures, I went to the images folder, again with multiple sub levels. In that case, the only pictures that have appeared in the gallery are the ones in the image folder directly. Is there any way to keep some organization inside that folder or does everything need to be in the "root" level (i.e. MyDocs/Images)?

Thanks for your help!

coderus 2012-07-28 05:02

Re: Where can music/video/image files be stored on Nokia N9?

1st level for pictures and videos, yes. it's bug, coz if you stay files and reflash, after booting you will see all levels in gallery and video.
so, also you can add paths to tracker manually:
tracker-control --index-file=/home/user/Pictures/mypictures
and be careful, if you scan rong folder by mistake, you will get tons of garbage in gallery, and your way to fix it will be very complicated, so, good luck!

thedead1440 2012-07-28 05:21

if coderus' method doesn't work i would suggest doing a full reflash (rootfs +emmc) ofcourse after backing up your data and then restoring selectively to ensure that the tracker is not affected...

in my device, scanning of around 27GB of songs takes a few minutes but i've been informed it can take hours to do the same...hence, a full reflash might fix things up...

Edit: if you are doing a full reflash you might want to consider to format the VFAT partition into 4096byte blocks instead as well as to always safely remove hardware when you plug out your phone from the usb port...

nbedford 2012-07-28 10:24

Are you running PR1.3? I think there is an issue with tracker,it doesn't appear to be able to cope with indexing large amounts of data :(

I have similar problem with my music collection (around 25GB) only way I can get it onto N9 without Music Player being constantly 'Updating library' is to transfer it to N9 in small groups, maybe 5 albums (no more than 500MB) at a time, otherwise tracker seems to hit a problem and I haven't found a way of recovering tracker when I hit this issue :(

This didn't happen to me on PR1.2 (although tracker version is 0.10.37 in both firmwares)

See thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85529 for my report, maybe these two can be merged?

GringoT 2012-07-28 12:47

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try and reflash to see if I can fix the music bug. Not looking forward to reentering everything... Thanks again.

GringoT 2012-07-28 12:57

PR 1.3 indeed. I flashed the uk/Ireland version of the firmware onto my phone which happens to be a Vietnam variant without the update available for now.

nbedford 2012-07-28 13:48

I also have the uk/ireland firmware flashed on a Malaysia hardware product code, would be very interesting if this tracker issue was only in uk variant firmware but i doubt it very much...

thedead1440 2012-07-28 14:04

^^ nope its not an uk/ireland FW issue...i know of someone with Global FW having the same issue...

GringoT 2012-07-29 02:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1244021)
1st level for pictures and videos, yes. it's bug, coz if you stay files and reflash, after booting you will see all levels in gallery and video.
so, also you can add paths to tracker manually:
tracker-control --index-file=/home/user/Pictures/mypictures
and be careful, if you scan rong folder by mistake, you will get tons of garbage in gallery, and your way to fix it will be very complicated, so, good luck!

So I added some of the paths, just as a test. Nokia link sees these videos on my computer (only the ones added to the tracker) but the phone still does not see a thing. Unbelievable.
Music library still goes crazy (updating for hours), even after resetting the tracker...

I guess I will have to fully reflash, but that sucks... The thing is that I was having the same problem before so I reset the phone, but that obivously did not help...

Reflashing it is... yuk, yuk, yuk...

slaapliedje 2012-07-29 02:59

The issue I have is the opposite, at least for the documents program. I want to be able to force it to only show a specific directory.

As far as video goes, it is rather annoying that even with fllder seperation, it lumps all video files alpabetically, so if you have ripped some tv episodes and have them structured like Name/Season/Ep# then the video player will show them as ep1 (from season 1), ep1 (from season 2), and so on. Really horrible when there is 5+ seasons of a show.

slaapliedje