maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   41 MP Camera for Symbian Belle (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82620)

xRobby 2012-02-27 17:33

41 MP Camera for Symbian Belle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17178014

'A 41-megapixel Nokia smartphone was among the new technology on show during the opening day of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

The Nokia 808 Pureview offers enhanced low-light performance as well as sophisticated image compression designed to help users share pictures.'

Not bad for day 1 of the opening day of Mobile World Congress.

Shame it doesn't look as sexy as the N9/lumia 800 sisters. Hopefully it won't drain the battery too much as well. + It's on symbian which doesn't make much sense since they said they were going to phase that out didn't they?

Thoughts?

celebrant 2012-02-27 17:44

Re: 41 MP Camera for Symbian Belle

I think it's gonna be some kind of a 3D stacked sensor where each layer has 1/3 of the total 41 MPixels. Sample pictures look really good though.
As to the symbian coming to an end thing.. it's better to go out with a bang.

Aonsaithya 2012-02-27 17:55

As far as I know, it creates a 5 megapixel file. Uses 7 pixels for each pixel etc, 41 megapixels would obviously be ******ed with cell phone camera optics.

Oblomow 2012-02-27 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by celebrant (Post 1170743)
I think it's gonna be some kind of a 3D stacked sensor where each layer has 1/3 of the total 41 MPixels. Sample pictures look really good though.
As to the symbian coming to an end thing.. it's better to go out with a bang.

No, the sensor has a traditional Bayer layout.. it is just huge for a smartphone -1/1.2", so quite a lot bigger than 1/1.7" enthusiast compact cameras, and a bit smaller than the Nikon J1 (1"). Pixel spacing is comparable to superzoom compacts with 1/2.3" sensor. White paper is here: http://europe.nokia.com/PRODUCT_META...Whitepaper.pdf

some full-res pics here:
http://cdn.conversations.nokia.com.s...2/Archive2.zip

quite impressive to me.

slarti 2012-02-27 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya (Post 1170749)
As far as I know, it creates a 5 megapixel file. Uses 7 pixels for each pixel etc, 41 megapixels would obviously be ******ed with cell phone camera optics.

It can take even 38Mpix pictures but they don't look anywhere near as good as the 5 or 8Mpix pictures "pixel oversampled" from that huge 41Mpix sensor.

Example:

http://imgon.net/di-A58K.jpg

Joseph9560 2012-02-27 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by xRobby (Post 1170732)
It's on symbian which doesn't make much sense since they said they were going to phase that out didn't they?

Thoughts?

Maybe they can't make it work in their new Win platform. :)

Oblomow 2012-02-27 18:08

Quote:

You will have also the option to take pictures at full res, and if you look at the second link in my previous post, the turn out surprisingly good (at least in those bright conditions), even at 100% magnification. You see some grain, but almost no noise reduction or sharpening artifacts (take a look at the hair on the arms and legs of the climbers). Lens seems to be quite sharp also. I guess it looks a bit different in low light, but then you can lower resolution to average out noise.

The main point however is that it gives you a digital, but lossless zoom at lower resolutions, around 3x at 5Mpx, 4x at 1080p, 6x at 720p, 12x at nHD.

leomax 2012-02-27 18:10

This is remarkable.
Bye bye cheap P & S.

Now where is meltemi with this :)

mrwormp 2012-02-27 18:14

Do not see a front facing camera.

skykooler 2012-02-27 18:15

I really want this with Maemo. How many times must we say to ourselves "If only we ran Nokia..."?

Addison 2012-02-27 18:15

Wow.

That last picture was amazing.

I don't think I would ever want that much detail though when shooting pictures of myself and friends though.

I already have enough insecurities as it is. :)

ste-phan 2012-02-27 18:20

Ok, I admint I will buy it. :p
Even if the resolving power of a Nokia lens won't do justice to a cheap 41mpx cramped in a 500 USDEuro device, I was waiting for an easy to carry camera using this zoom trick in extremis.

Leica hasn't planned a Harmattan camera?

Dragoss91 2012-02-27 18:22

Quote:

It seems to create 38mp files , if you check properties of all those samples they have 5368x7152 resolution . :)

zlatokosi 2012-02-27 18:27

wow...

I just checked out the unretouched picts straight out of the camera (on Nokia Conversations), and wow. Just wow.

I hope Elop was REALLY pissed off when he was told they couldn't debut the technology on WP7, at least not for another year or more...

gazza_d 2012-02-27 19:15

I just hope that the fact that it is a Symbian Belle device does not count against it in the media, or in Nokia's marketing.

Yes it's a little chunky, but it is a superb bit of hardware and a lot of the features as standard in Symbian currently blow the Lumias out of the water.

My N900 contract is up soon. May see if I can get one of these, or even a very cheap deal on an N8 to accompany the N900. This indicates to me that Symbian will be around for a little while yet.

Wish they'd stuck Harmattan on the thing though

szopin 2012-02-27 20:18

It can take pictures in full res, but actual resolution depends on ratio (38MPx for 16:9 iirc). The big thing here is full 1080HD video with 4x 'optical' (quality even better due to not limiting light input, but still digital technically) zoom, the real wow factor. The only sad thing is this revolution will cut out mid/low digicam producers, not smartphone competitors. Still people looking for digital cameras might turn to having one toy instead of two and buy it for the sake of awesome cam. iPhone 5 will have a hard time competing in that area, that's for sure. And 41MPx WP will be huge. Also improvement in quality for 5 and 8 MPx photos seems awesome.
Black PR from digicam producers explaining it's only MPx for PR sake commencing in 3, 2, 1...

tissot 2012-02-28 23:14

Been very impressed by this. This time, more i have researced more impressed i have been, that rarely happens.

While the MP count is perfect marketing, in real life this tries to blur the who idea of where you need those megapixels and for what use they are used

I'm going to buy Symbian device. Never would i have thought to say that after getting N900 for the first time.

The Wizard of Huz 2012-02-29 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ste-phan (Post 1170770)
Even if the resolving power of a Nokia lens won't do justice to a cheap 41mpx cramped.....

It's a Carl-Zeiss lens

Kozzi 2012-02-29 13:40

Poor Elop, this device stole all attention from the Lumias, why this happen all the time to him, first N9 and now this.

panjgoori 2012-02-29 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlatokosi (Post 1170777)
wow...

I just checked out the unretouched picts straight out of the camera (on Nokia Conversations), and wow. Just wow.

I hope Elop was REALLY pissed off when he was told they couldn't debut the technology on WP7, at least not for another year or more...

yeah. im also happy that WP crap is not even capable of handling such lenses nor such MP's.

Loving Symbian again.

don_falcone 2012-02-29 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz (Post 1172048)
It's a Carl-Zeiss lens

...twenty years ago i would've asked "which (Carl-Zeiss) one?" :D

Zoxir 2012-02-29 14:26

41 MP wtf is Nokia overcompensating for something??? :D

_David_ 2012-03-01 00:17

Good luck holding the phone still enough for 90% of those pixels to matter. I'd take a phone with 4MP and proper image stabilisation over that.

www.rzr.online.fr 2012-03-01 00:41

what kind of apps will it bring along ?

szopin 2012-03-01 00:48

Proper image stabilisation with 4mp matrix is gonna give you **** just like N900 will. 41MP is for the possibility of shooting 35mb image which you can zoom in and out however you want. Try 4x zoomed 1080p video recording. Seriously, many have tried attacking 41mp, none have yet come up with a good counterargument. MP alone would be shitty, making lower (5 and 8mp) resolution pictures better and zoom light-lossless, still waiting for an attack that would make sense. The guys deving this deserve a prize

_David_ 2012-03-01 04:36

4MP is fine for anything you don't want to blow up to a poster.

A friend of mine used a 2MP digital camera for commercial work.

How big does that climber pic have to be to see the text on his shoe? 6 foot? 12 foot?

Not that they took that shot with this phone.

Dersonne 2012-03-01 20:15

Great phone,i wish they put this one on MAEMO/MEEGo device(hopeless scenario:o).

Rugoz 2012-03-02 06:30

The huge sensor size should also help with low-light performance. I am tempted to buy that phone, symbian belle fp1 looks pretty slick from what I have seen.

Cons: No swipe and low screen res.

GrimyHR 2012-03-02 12:52

WANT...THIS...PHONE...NOW!
next to my n900 naturally

abuakram 2012-03-02 18:04

as someone said: Nokia actually built a camera with the option of making phone calls with it :)

don_falcone 2012-03-02 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugoz (Post 1172945)
The huge sensor size should also help with low-light performance. I am tempted to buy that phone, symbian belle fp1 looks pretty slick from what I have seen.

Cons: No swipe and low screen res.

Sure. Binning is quite useful.

tissot 2012-03-02 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by _David_ (Post 1172342)
Good luck holding the phone still enough for 90% of those pixels to matter. I'd take a phone with 4MP and proper image stabilisation over that.

It's too bad that people are only concentrating on the megapixels when the true innovation here lies elsewhere. :(
Funny thing is that as 2-3 years ago it was about megapixels, now when anybody seems too many megapixels the camera is sh1te. Nokia just can't seem to catch a break.

Here's one great article actually explaining the sensor and what Nokia has achieved here... from a iphone loving site even. :D
http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/mw...one+Life+Blogs)

GrimyHR 2012-03-02 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by tissot (Post 1173228)
It's too bad that people are only concentrating on the megapixels when the true innovation here lies elsewhere. :(
Funny thing is that as 2-3 years ago it was about megapixels, now when anybody seems too many megapixels the camera is sh1te. Nokia just can't seem to catch a break.

Here's one great article actually explaining the sensor and what Nokia has achieved here... from a iphone loving site even. :D
http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/mw...one+Life+Blogs)

i dont want this phone because of camera but because:
nice large screen for a symbian smartphone
extreme gpu/dsp
nice cpu and amount of ram for symbians need
great multimedia performance
probably last symbian :(
and last and least great camera and nice "sexy" design

tissot 2012-03-02 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimyHR (Post 1173233)
i dont want this phone because of camera but because:
nice large screen for a symbian smartphone
extreme gpu/dsp
nice cpu and amount of ram for symbians need
great multimedia performance
probably last symbian :(
and last and least great camera and nice "sexy" design

My reasons are first the camera, next the hyped audio recording and audio quality (N8 had amazing audio quality via 3.5mm), HDMI out with 1080p. Nice to see how will the Nokia Big screen work paired with that 1080p HDMI out.

Belle/Symbian is by no means my favorite OS anymore, but it looks to be way, way more smoother than before looking at the videos. Settings, camera (probably best camera UI i have ever seen) and the widget screens manage to even look elegant and work smoothly.

Dave999 2012-03-02 19:29

Anyone gone pay for this phone? Its even more dead than meego and N9. Add to that an ugly bulky design. Nokia wtf?

GrimyHR 2012-03-02 19:43

yes, me
it cant replace my n900, but it will be perfect next to it, unlike n9
ill use this for telephony/multimedia and n900 for heavy computing

oh and unlike meego that is dead, symbian dies on 2016... :p

tissot 2012-03-02 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris (Post 1173252)
Anyone gone pay for this phone? Its even more dead than meego and N9. Add to that an ugly bulky design. Nokia wtf?

Already pre-ordered. As for it being more dead than MeeGo, that's not possible really.
Symbian is still bought in tens of millions every year and has support going till 2016, also it is way more complete OS than MeeGo, while being uglier than Swipe UI.

Nokia still needs Symbian, MeeGo not so much.

ammyt 2012-03-02 19:58

I'm only glad that NOKIA now truly knows how powerful/important that BROADCOMM GPU on the new Symbian Belle phones is. With reference to datasheets only, that 1.3GHz ARM11 is approximately as powerful as an 800MHz ARM Cortex A8, which puts forward this question: How in Earth does that 808 get full 1080p video capture @ 30fps, something that only high-end dual cores (Exynos/TI...NVIDIA dual cores are NOT high-end) and recent quad-cores have just achieved?
It's all because of that beastly GPU, which handles all video/graphics processing.

ammyt 2012-03-02 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimyHR (Post 1173260)
yes, me
it cant replace my n900, but it will be perfect next to it, unlike n9
ill use this for telephony/multimedia and n900 for heavy computing

oh and unlike meego that is dead, symbian dies on 2016... :p

Excuse me, but looking at current prices of the N9 vs. the price set for the 808 on release, the 808 seems a terribly much better investment.

Dave999 2012-03-02 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by tissot (Post 1173262)
Already pre-ordered. As for it being more dead than MeeGo, that's not possible really.
Symbian is still bought in tens of millions every year and has support going till 2016, also it is way more complete OS than MeeGo, while being uglier than Swipe UI.

Nokia still needs Symbian, MeeGo not so much.

Ok, Its your money.:D nokia moving on and dont even launch it world wide so thats how much they care. To me the N8 is a better bet.