maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Any chance of porting onto the Nokia N8? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=54611)

FreyGrimrod 2010-05-31 00:15

Any chance of porting onto the Nokia N8?

Hardware looks great.... honestly who will touch symbian?

(yes this assumes someone has hypothetically rooted the phone)

qole 2010-05-31 00:29

Re: Any chance of porting onto the Nokia N8?

I like the camera and video, but... the CPU looks puny... Same generation CPU as the old N800. Not sure how well Maemo 5 apps would run on it.

FreyGrimrod 2010-05-31 00:31

Gah ARM11 had missed that *tear* another new phone falls to manufacturer cheaping out on the CPU just like the LG Ally.... alas... also I apparently am blind and missed the MASSIVE STICKY POST.... my apologies.... (wait that's the n800 *hides*)

Deaconclgi 2010-05-31 01:32

The future of phones is NOT the CPU, its the GPU. Same as with computers. At one point, a 3Ghz cpu meant power but now your PC is as only as strong as its GPU. Add a highend GPU to a celeron and you are game, get a blazing fast celeron WITHOUT a GPU or weak GPU and it is game over.

The N8 has an excellent GPU and the UI is GPU accelerated, the games are GPU accelerated, the Media is GPU accelerated.

What else needs to be said?

Maybe the N9 series will have a faster CPU, maybe not, either way it is the GPU that has the muscle and flexes it well.

Laughing Man 2010-05-31 01:38

Hopefully the applications that are developed and will be developed for the Nokia N8 are QT compatible..

sevla 2010-05-31 18:40

In theory it should work since the N8 has an ARM CPU. When the Meego handset build is released I don't think there is anything stopping anyone from flashing the N8 and putting Meego on it.

Mulder3 2010-06-08 03:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevla (Post 692228)
In theory it should work since the N8 has an ARM CPU. When the Meego handset build is released I don't think there is anything stopping anyone from flashing the N8 and putting Meego on it.

Yes, there is... and it's called Nokia BB5 security...

sevla 2010-06-08 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulder3 (Post 704779)
Yes, there is... and it's called Nokia BB5 security...

and how does that work?

mikec 2010-06-08 20:53

I understand that Symbian uses openVG vs OpenGL ES for Maemo and Meego. This probably implies binary blobs that would need cross licensing , APIs etc.

I would be interested if anyone has a better perspective on this.

bandora 2010-06-08 20:54

I don't think the BB5 security will play a big role now, since Symbian has been open-sourced.. Also, there are a way around it..