maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   OS2008 / Maemo 4 / Chinook - Diablo (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Synergy on OS2008 - Kbd/Mouse sharing with desktop (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=15044)

ArnimS 2008-01-14 12:57

Synergy on OS2008 - Kbd/Mouse sharing with desktop

Hi,

found that synergy seems to be missing from OS2008 repos. The older version does run but I am missing cursor display and keyboard input (maemo-gtk-im-switch).

For those wondering what synergy is, it allows you to use one desktop mouse and keyboard to control several computers (linux or windows). By moving the cursor off the screen, you switch your input to another networked computer.

This is not like VNC or remote desktop. Each machine still needs its own monitor/display. What it does is allow you to use one keyboard+mouse to controll all machines around you.

So here's the thread on getting this working in OS2008. Please post questions/tips/experiences here.

pipeline 2008-01-14 16:38

Re: Synergy on OS2008 - Kbd/Mouse sharing with desktop

Did the older version support visible mouse cursor on os < 2008?

I built for chinook and got it working but it was very large executables, no mouse cursor, and slightly awkward setup of screen zones... would be nicer incentive if mouse cursor could feedback when entering maemo zone.

multi 2008-02-24 13:23

would love to see this working properly on OS2008
I use synergy alot between my laptop and the computer I watch TV on. Having the cursor go to the tablet on the right would be lovely ;)

locusf 2008-02-24 13:44

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

would love to see this working properly on OS2008
I use synergy alot between my laptop and the computer I watch TV on. Having the cursor go to the tablet on the right would be lovely :)
Attachment 1021

Here you have guys, it is built from ubuntu sources and confirmed to work on N810 with the latest firmware. Should work ok with previous firmwares as well.

EDIT:

To get mouse cursor to work, edit the file /home/user/.icons/default/index.theme and comment out the Inherits=xcursor-transparent like this:
[Icon Theme]
#Inherits=xcursor-transparent

WARNING!!!!

It seems that this tweak will destroy all status bar applet settings, ie. osso-statusbar-cpu at first, but reboot twice to get them back.

qwerty12 2008-02-24 14:51

Hehe, thanks, having currsor on screen looks good.

Btw, how to start synergy on n800?

locusf 2008-02-24 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty12 (Post 147052)
Hehe, thanks, having currsor on screen looks good.

Btw, how to start synergy on n800?

You have to start up synergyc/synergys via xterm.

qwerty12 2008-02-24 15:26

Thanks but I tried synergys and it said no configuration available.. Do I make my own config? If so, I shall read up on the help :)

locusf 2008-02-24 16:03

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty12 (Post 147063)
Thanks but I tried synergys and it said no configuration available.. Do I make my own config? If so, I shall read up on the help :)

Fear no more of configuration hassle my friend, first install my synergy package above and then this:

Attachment 1023

Its quicksynergy that enables you to run the server and client with a nice gui.

qwerty12 2008-02-24 16:11

Ooh, thanks :)

I just looked in the console output and it seems to be running. Now to connect a client...

Thanks again!

tso 2008-02-24 17:34

hmm, i think i would rather go for a server on the pc and the client on the tablet, but thats me...