maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   [KDE] KDE Installation Poll (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=15076)

penguinbait 2008-01-14 20:05

[KDE] KDE Installation Poll

I am putting up a poll just to see how peoples experience was, and get some numbers on install base.

Please participate, you can choose more than one option!

Also feel free to tell em what options I should have put up here, I always miss some :)

Syntra 2008-01-14 20:08

Re: KDE Installation Poll

Apparently not, says the forum.

djashjones 2008-01-14 20:27

other.

it screwed up, had to reflash cus i did not read the instructions correctly :p

jakubd 2008-01-14 21:35

Installed from CABs without ANY problems, after careful reading of all comments and problems. Having full Firefox would make me switch to KDE without coming back to Hildon. But still full access to my printer (HP LJ 4050) and all the apps makes is really powerful device.

wv9k 2008-01-15 00:28

Being a KDE Junkie from wayback I really should track down KDE for this thing.

Not that I can imagine it installing in 128M (or 256M if I understand that right).

I will admit to being a bit leery as KDE on my 266MHz ANCIENT laptop is awfully slow so I have no idea how it is going to go on the n800.

penguinbait 2008-01-15 01:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by wv9k (Post 127806)
Being a KDE Junkie from wayback I really should track down KDE for this thing.

Not that I can imagine it installing in 128M (or 256M if I understand that right).

I will admit to being a bit leery as KDE on my 266MHz ANCIENT laptop is awfully slow so I have no idea how it is going to go on the n800.

Then you will be very happily surprised, I am not saying its superfast or anything, but its very useable. Also KDE installs on SD card, and a little in flash, mostly printing services about 20MB

petergunn 2008-01-15 02:20

Be nice if KRandR worked so you you rotate the screen :)

wv9k 2008-01-15 02:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinbait (Post 127815)
Then you will be very happily surprised, I am not saying its superfast or anything, but its very useable. Also KDE installs on SD card, and a little in flash, mostly printing services about 20MB

In the midst of the crazyness here :-), I took a quick peek at the install instructions for and SD card. Seems like it might be a lot simpler than I think :-).

Will try to get it all together and give it a shot. Kind of confused as to why it has to be split across 2 SD cards, but a bit more reading might resolve that.

Thanks!

penguinbait 2008-01-15 02:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by wv9k (Post 127841)
In the midst of the crazyness here :-), I took a quick peek at the install instructions for and SD card. Seems like it might be a lot simpler than I think :-).

Will try to get it all together and give it a shot. Kind of confused as to why it has to be split across 2 SD cards, but a bit more reading might resolve that.

Thanks!

The Nokia OS installs in a 256MB Area of Flash memory.

KDE tarball compressed is 322MB round about, and uncompressed 975MB or more. So you can see this will not fit in flash memory with the Nokia OS.

So KDE is available to be installed two ways

Option #1
Create a minimum 1.5GB ext2 partition on SD card and copy OS from flash onto ext2 partition. Then un-tar kde on top of that.

Option #2
copy all the debs and tarball to SD card can install.
The DEB install creates a 1.2GB partition in a file on your SD card. It will format the file as an ext2 partition and mount it as /usr/local
Then the debs will untar the files and setup KDE.

Does this clear up your confusion?

Greyghost 2008-01-15 03:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinbait (Post 127815)

I concur. I am really enjoying KDE. Immediately after install, I felt that it was a bit slow, but after using it for a couple of days, I have to say that it's actually a lot faster than I initially thought.

For one thing, there are so many options. I can open an image kwickly in some sort of KwikViewer (sorry, all I can remember at the moment is that *every*thing begins with a K) or a full-fledged image editor (Krita?). Of course the full-on editor is slow, but I expect that. Same with text. There is a KwikEditor that's fast and Kword that is robust and slow(er)... (and a there are few more editors of both flavors besides).

BTW, in a limited (-10) number of tests, I haven't been able to get KSpread to read my .xls files yet, but I figure there'll be a way. This is an important feature for me, as Gnumeric hasn't been successfully ported for the new OS08, so I need some sort of simple inventory management tool.

But to support PB's claim, KDE isn't superfast, but it works! So far (8-10 hrs of use) only one reboot has been required;)