maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Maemo Extra version IDs from HELL... (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=17660)

Moonshine 2008-03-08 15:15

Maemo Extra version IDs from HELL...

I've been waiting patiently, but WHAT is up with the version id's for the A/V packages in Maemo Extras that are massive?!

I'm taking about things like:

"faad" with a version ID of
"2.0.0+cvs20040908+mp4v2+bmp+0umbuntu6maemo1"

All it's missing is a "+hi+mom!"

App Manager gives the version column priority for display and you can't change the column widths, so that leaves you with an package name column that's rapidly about to dissapear!

Ug... sorry to *****, but the maintainer on the package is an email address to a mailing list... so where can we even comment? Maemo bugzilla?

yerga 2008-03-08 17:14

Re: Maemo Extra version IDs from HELL...

A first investigation, it seems what the maintainers are canola team. liblightmediascanner0 depends on libmp4v2-0 and libmp4v2-0 is in faad2.

Well, if you have the application manager in blue pill mode, you don't see this packages.

Moonshine 2008-03-08 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerga (Post 152319)
A first investigation, it seems what the maintainers are canola team. liblightmediascanner0 depends on libmp4v2-0 and libmp4v2-0 is in faad2.

Well, if you have the application manager in blue pill mode, you don't see this packages.

Thanks! I'll drop them a line.

Blue pill mode? What fun is that... :D

jussik 2008-03-08 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerga (Post 152319)

Not to mention that this isn't really a bug in the mentioned packages: stupid maybe, but not a bug.... Application Manager not being able to keep the name column visible is a bug.

linux_author 2008-03-08 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonshine (Post 152282)
"faad" with a version ID of
"2.0.0+cvs20040908+mp4v2+bmp+0umbuntu6maemo1"

- that code is either rock solid or really, really out of date!

:-)

t3h 2008-03-09 03:12

+1 on this - I now can't even SEE the names of apps because of this. App manager should be able to move the columns.

Johnx 2008-03-09 07:31

Workaround: Don't use red pill mode. Seriously, just use apt-get from the command line if you're installing something that requires it.

aflegg 2008-03-09 14:53

+1 for johnx

The over-reliance on Red Pill Mode by "power" users is a recipe for disaster, and a source of laziness on the part of packagers. Only today I saw that the Jalimo packages provide a one-click install, but you must be in Red Pill Mode. Sheesh.

urilabob 2008-06-10 08:16

It's possible to get round this by going to full screen mode (you get about 10 characters of the application name). However this is only by good luck (that the FAAD developers didn't use longer version names). As is the suggestion to use blue pill mode: sooner or later, someone's going to create a blue-pill installable application with a _really_ long version name, and render application manager unusable.
I've submitted a bugzilla request (3231), let's see if anyone can fix it - it looks like it should be a 5-minute fix if you know the code base, but even figuring out where the source code resides seems like a full-day job, so I've given up on it.

GeneralAntilles 2008-06-10 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by urilabob (Post 190352)
I've submitted a bugzilla request (3231), let's see if anyone can fix it - it looks like it should be a 5-minute fix if you know the code base, but even figuring out where the source code resides seems like a full-day job, so I've given up on it.

Hi again.

There's actually two existing bugs on the subject (bug #2959 and bug #2998), so I've marked it as duplicate (please remember to search when submitting new bugs :)).

The updated version of Application manager is already available in svn if that sort of thing appeals to you, but it will be shipping with Diablo.