maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Multimedia (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   [Canola] Canola2 Updates - Beta7, Themes, and YouTube Plug-in (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=18176)

handful 2008-03-21 01:49

[Canola] Canola2 Updates - Beta7, Themes, and YouTube Plug-in

Hi everyone!

The youtube plugin is already done, but please do the following :

(THIS IS MANDATORY FOR THIS RELEASE) DO IT IN THE FOLLOWING SEQUENCE :

1) Update or install Canola beta7 ( has the fix to allow youtube)
2) Update all the themes you use ( we uploaded new versions )

ONLY THEN YOU INSTALL YOUTUBE :

3) Install Canola-youtube plugin

IF YOU DON'T DO IT LIKE THAT ... WELL YOU KNOW :)

Then you are ready to go.

Release notes:

Source code for the youtube plugin is available on the website on the developer's corner.

:)

rcadden 2008-03-21 03:21

Re: Beta7 is out with Youtube plugin is Ready! Update also all themes you use!

rock on! works great, keep up the great work

cLin 2008-03-21 03:24

YAY! Let's hope this doesn't break anything.

What else is updated from beta6->7

edit: I get a no space left on drive when I try to open the video "CineMassacre 200" I found it on the top rated.

handful 2008-03-21 04:08

cLin : we have this small issue that is downloading to home folder, please I know it's boring but can you free some space just while we implement the folde chooser?

MArcelo

Laughing Man 2008-03-21 04:12

How much free space is needed? I have about 13 MBs left on my device and it's giving me that message.

yabbas 2008-03-21 04:30

can't tell you how much this rocks!

really can't wait till the streaming radio track titles are fixed. this really is fast becoming the internet tablet ui ;) (heck you could rebadge the n800 as another device if canola booted straight in)

one minor request - as video is prebuffering perhaps quickly fade the description in so people can read somerhing whilst it's doing the business.

also - video can't be rewound, fast forward, etc - possible to add?

...going off to check if themes support rotation :)

yabbas 2008-03-21 04:34

video saved fine for me...though it's hidden away somewhere in canola's folders, heh

oooh...just noticed a photocast folder on my removable card, did canola do that?

mobiledivide 2008-03-21 05:16

This works EXCELLENT for short vids, but trying to DL anything long (>10 minutes is all I have tried) gives up the out of memory issue. Anything we can adjust to get this to work in a setting?

taguapire 2008-03-21 06:11

Hi,

Why videos are so laggy? The plug-in/Canola has a very poor performance playing Youtube videos.

Regards,

Taguapire.

Comitizer 2008-03-21 06:12

I cant see beta7 only beta6, am I looking in the right place? I've seen all the previous updates.

Comitizer 2008-03-21 06:19

Whoops...forgot to refresh my app list...pay no attention to me...

Nif 2008-03-21 07:47

Installation went fine and plugin looks cool. Only question I have is about the aspect ratio. Youtube clips are in 4:3, but in Canola they are played 'widescreen'. Is there a way to configure this?

osofast 2008-03-21 08:00

Wow, great work again guys.

ghoonk 2008-03-21 08:04

Followed the instructions, and did a search for a youtube favourite of mine (achmed the dead terriorist by jeff dunham), but the video does not play.

sachin007 2008-03-21 08:18

Wow wonderful add on. You guys rock. Keep it up.

sachin007 2008-03-21 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by taguapire (Post 158166)
Hi,

Why videos are so laggy? The plug-in/Canola has a very poor performance playing Youtube videos.

Regards,

Taguapire.

Yeah the same here. I think it has to do with the aspect ratio, But please correct the lag otherwise it is a great feature.

Not to disappoint you but because of the lag the videos are unwatchable.

handful 2008-03-21 08:48

Hei guys, we had some of this in the testing phase, it was the version of mplayer.
Can you please take a look what version are you using? we tested with 24 and it was the performance we wanted.

Also, make sure you are not downloading podcasts (as this is a slowdown, listed on the website)

@goonk : this will happen, mplayer simple does not play ALL videos. some videos really fail. We are looking to see if mplayer evolves this, and if we can help them.

@nif : I know this is annoying, and we already fixed it, but it's not on the last mplayer (MorpheuZ did a mplayer patch just for that). So we recommend people to be just a little patient that this patch is coming and solves all strech problems :)

Sorry for the small incoveniences guys, we will work on them asap!

Marcelo

El Amir 2008-03-21 09:01

For all thoses wondering where to get the addon, the website is : http://openbossa.indt.org.br/canola/add.html

Enjoy!:)

Great work team Canola!

Bundyo 2008-03-21 09:03

It is also in the extras :)

sachin007 2008-03-21 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by handful (Post 158202)
Hei guys, we had some of this in the testing phase, it was the version of mplayer.
Can you please take a look what version are you using? we tested with 24 and it was the performance we wanted.

Also, make sure you are not downloading podcasts (as this is a slowdown, listed on the website)

@goonk : this will happen, mplayer simple does not play ALL videos. some videos really fail. We are looking to see if mplayer evolves this, and if we can help them.

@nif : I know this is annoying, and we already fixed it, but it's not on the last mplayer (MorpheuZ did a mplayer patch just for that). So we recommend people to be just a little patient that this patch is coming and solves all strech problems :)

Sorry for the small incoveniences guys, we will work on them asap!

Marcelo

So do you guys want us to shift to version 24 or just hold on a little longer?

I have also noticed that sometimes the video plays fine but another time the same video plays choppy and i am talking about saved videos without anything else running in the background.

Not complaining just informing you guys.

qwerty12 2008-03-21 09:10

Nice :)

I already had it (canola) installed so I did as root:
apt-get update ;; apt-get upgrade ;; apt-get install canola2-youtube-plugin

handful 2008-03-21 10:04

at least 24 :/ we tested with both 24 and 26. Our fix is not on 26 bur probably on next one : /
yes, this is really the mplayer (version)

onion_cfe 2008-03-21 10:23

The whole thing seems a lot more stable now, and the YouTube plug-in is working great for me. This is so much better than trying to use the site in microb.

My only question - are there any plans to get untitled albums and artists back into the album/album cover and artist views? I remember you (handful) seemed to agree it would be a good move, and it's now really the only thing keeping me for using the app full time. If it was just handled exactly as it was in Canola 1, it would be perfect.

"All Songs" is just too tricky when bombing down the motorway, particularly now the tiny scroll bar is disabled and it's necessary to inertia through tens of pages to reach the later half of the alphabet whilst not accidentally clicking anything, steering the car, talking on the phone and drinking coffee.

But, like I said - looking very good, and love all the themes too.

Cheers,
Tom

Mika73 2008-03-21 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by handful (Post 158057)
Hi everyone!

The youtube plugin is already done, but please do the following :

(THIS IS MANDATORY FOR THIS RELEASE) DO IT IN THE FOLLOWING SEQUENCE :

Hi Handful

Question about installation. When you need boot? I remember older Canola version that I tryed earlyer and with it was important boot device and you couldnt have PSU connected when installed Canola.

I havent tryed Beta version course waited final version to come out and ofcourse little afraid of those beta versions anyway. But now Youtube plugin did come out.. And its really hard wait final version.. :)

Thanks
Mika

stjuste 2008-03-21 10:58

great stuff guys. i did find that sometimes the return button didn't work but outside of that, great stuff. i look fwd to what's to come. nokia should pay you guys...

qwerty12 2008-03-21 11:01

@stjuste

I think the paying thing was suggested before but I believe INdT was opened by Nokia or something like that.

But I agree, INdT team are great and produce a lot of stuff and handful is always helping people.

tmilr87 2008-03-21 11:25

Handul,

You are da bomb. This app rocks! My daughter will be wanting to steal my tablet now. Thanks for all your hard work and keep the new stuff coming.

muki 2008-03-21 11:46

Followed instructions, even rebooted, but no sign of plug-in. What should I expect to see?

anidel 2008-03-21 11:48

if you've installed it from the webside or from the App Manager then it'll show up in the Video section, next to "My Videos".

qwerty12 2008-03-21 11:49

The youtube plugin is seperate to canola. If you did install the plugin, go to video and it should be there. It is for me.

Anidel beat me :D

muki 2008-03-21 12:01

Thanks for the pointers but I see only "My videos" with the usual images and audio icons to the left and right.

muki 2008-03-21 12:35

Should have mentioned in previous post that I was using N800. Tried same sequence on N810 and the plug-in shows up (and works). Awaiting response from handful then I may try uninstall/re-install on the N800. Looking good!

handful 2008-03-21 12:38

Hi guys,

I thank all of you in behalf of whole team for the compliments, also for the "first" run of our new " team member " Adriano, who did the youtube plugin main coding and also did the last.fm plugin (of course we are a team and theres the hand of everyone in the work). But I think it's a nice start for adriano joining our group :)

Let me try to answer some questions:

@Tom : thanks tom :) about the untitled albums its possible, the only problem is that you may get a huge list inside the album music list. But of course, we added browse by folder to aid that a little. We will get back to this, is always the same problem time x priorities.

Yeah, all songs will be a little pain while we don't deploy the search system or the jumpers in the bottom part. Our " care " is to just not take a 2 scroll approaches, as the device cannot hold the movement we need to the list to jump from one section to other.

for car mode we have other plans :) but we do listen to this, and lets see if we can improve it more as we go.

@Mika
You don't have to boot. If you don't have canola installed that's perfect. Install beta7, install the youtube plugin and themes if you like. no reboot necessary. The first reboots were just to make sure you "shutdown" all side " applications " that canola relies on and are being updated by a new installation.

Well, being quite honest, we fixed most of issues, and we could say it's final, as it's missing only upnp. the rest is always improvements, but I think the basics are covered very well already. It will get better for sure, but we don't think you will have any problem. But if you have it, it would be a pleasure to help you out until fix it. So if you want my word: you can install it already :)

@Stjuste
I think this small issues are something like the button is clicked when the cpu is too high (mplayer + downloading) and then the event is missed / drop.
About Nokia paying us, while we are not "Nokia" we do have Nokia on our company name, so you got the point :) and we consider ourselves part of the team trying to create great experiences for the Nokia devices :)

@tmilr87 :
Thanks, but the team is "da bomb" :) and youtube is one more work of all the guys together to make sure it goes smoothly. It's not only our first downloadable plugin but the first "third party plugin" and also fully opensource in GPL (download the source code on the website ). Get a tablet for your little girl as a gift :)))
new stuff : last.fm in the oven :) upnp : hard working on it, but it's not to the task (is a shame I know) and I think there's a lot to go and fix a lot of small but annoying issues. Also to help mplayer, xine to get better and better, because I know video is giving some headaches : /

Hi Muki: very strange, because we had "days" of testing, and etrunko only I think installed in something like 7 n800s just yesterday. Can you point us the previous state?
Be sure to not have some " devel " repositories, those are the guys who can really create a mess in the installation : /

Also: try running canola in xterm with -vv to see if the error happens when trying to load youtube, than show it to us...

We don't want to have problems with future plugins : /

marcelo

Mika73 2008-03-21 13:07

I couldnt wait so I did install and test. Canola v2 Beta7 looks very nice. But I am having problem with YouTube search.. It does give An Unknown Error Has Occured. Most Recent/Most Viewed do work and it plays videos nice.

Search and categories wont work.. After I enter text to search, it starts search -> An unknown error has occured -> No items found.

Youtube isnt very nice when search doesnt work.. :(

muki 2008-03-21 13:15

hi Marcelo, previous version installed was beta6, no themes. I cannot redirect terminal output (using '>') to capture canola debug output. Any suggestions?

I did have some devel repo's active but I'm fairly certain I disabled them before upgrading canola. Do you think a fresh canola install is needed or would you like to identify what is failing here first? I'm easy either way.

handful 2008-03-21 13:17

Well, you can try doing the canola-cleanup, reboot and trying again :/ but this is fairly strange and of course we would like to find a bug and fix : / but we need as much information as possible

See if you just can read, and see if any error appears in the beginning of the debug messages in Xterm itself : /

handful 2008-03-21 13:19

Mika : strange, because if it plays the video everything is working fine, no reason to break just the search.

Well, I know it sounds weird to ask you, but can you try 2 things:

1) open the webbrowser go to you tube and do a seach?
2) reboot and try again :?

this is quite strange : / we haven't see this error while perfectly connected : /

Marcelo

Mika73 2008-03-21 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by handful (Post 158307)
Mika : strange, because if it plays the video everything is working fine, no reason to break just the search.

Well, I know it sounds weird to ask you, but can you try 2 things:

1) open the webbrowser go to you tube and do a seach?
2) reboot and try again :?

this is quite strange : / we haven't see this error while perfectly connected : /

Marcelo

It works now :)

I tryed with web browser next after I had problem. and ofcourse reboot is always good thing to try. I have no idea why that unknown error did come with search.. But now it works.. :)

Its very nice. Thank you a lot. :)

Now i only need find out how I add my favourite Podcasts http://retrobits.libsyn.com/ and http://c64takeaway.com/ to it ;)

Also I would be nice if search keyboard layout could be changed to qwerty or abc. I got back to play with it..:D

muki 2008-03-21 13:42

Marcelo, I cannot see anything obvious in canola debug output so I have sent it to you in a PM.

BTW I have checked that /usr/share/canola/plugins/canola-tube.zip exists.

handful 2008-03-21 13:42

Hi :
Mika : the tip : install canola-tuning. you get covers download + video thumbnails + the small application to add podcast without copy and pasting.
here's how it works :

Also the website has lots of tips and tricks to help you have even more performance (like avoid too big pictures, convert videos first, tagging your music etc)

Search keyboard? is the default maemo one : / it's QWERTY but you mean being in alphabetical order instead of qwerty?

Glad you like it!

marcelo