maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Request: TCPMP (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=19989)

iliaden 2008-05-12 00:53

Request: TCPMP

Hi,

For those of you who don't know what it is: TCPMP is a open-source media player, originally designed fow pocket pc's (windows mobile).
For audio playback, besides the regular functions, this player has a preamplifier, and an equalizer.
For video playback, it has the option to lower the video quality, resulting in a smooth playback for high-bitrate videos.

This project has been closed for quite some time (1-2 years). Being open-source, the source is here: http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/test/t....72RC1.tar.bz2

Older versions can be seen on the host site:
http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/

Knowing that this code is compilable to arm (pocket pc), and that it is open-source, is a port possible?

Thank you

Ilia

GeneralAntilles 2008-05-12 01:15

Re: Request: TCPMP

Quote:

Originally Posted by iliaden (Post 180593)
Knowing that this code is compilable to arm (pocket pc), and that it is open-source, is a port possible?

Being ARM really doesn't mean very much as far as code compatibility. Especially with things like media playback. Really, there'd be a lot less work involved in putting together a front-end for mplayer that does what you want or fixing up one of the many good media playback applications already available to do what you want.

iliaden 2008-05-12 01:19

maybe.

the only feature i want is the capacity to lower the quality of a video, making high-bitrate videos display perfectly without any conversion.
Quite honestly, I doubt that there exists a MPlayer client capable of doing so. This is why I asked for the compilation of a player that already has has this feature.

mudhoney 2008-05-12 01:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by iliaden (Post 180600)
maybe.

the only feature i want is the capacity to lower the quality of a video, making high-bitrate videos display perfectly without any conversion.
Quite honestly, I doubt that there exists a MPlayer client capable of doing so. This is why I asked for the compilation of a player that already has has this feature.

I know that mplayer has the ability to skip frames, which will result in faster playback (automatically even, I believe). Also, of course, it can scale a high resolution video down on the fly. I do believe in some way mplayer can do the things you describe, the only problem is that it probably takes CPU time to do so just like it does to convert a high quality movie down to a lower quality on any PC. I'm not sure how this TCPMP software would solve this problem, unless it takes advantage of some ARM hardware ability that helps the process.

As far as porting TCPMP, the challenge there would be that it's made for Windows. Which of course makes the port work a lot more difficult than most other apps ported to Maemo. :(

In the meantime, check out an mplayer man page and see if the functionality exists in there. Mplayer does a LOT.

Benson 2008-05-12 01:49

Adding whatever graceful degradation this has to mplayer would quite possibly be easier than porting the whole thing, really.

GeneralAntilles 2008-05-12 01:50

Quote:

maybe.

No, not "maybe". Fact. :)

Quote:

MPlayer is perfectly capable of doing this. This will give you half-resolution decoding:

Code:

mplayer -lavdopts lowres=1 <videofile>
Quote:

No, but the point is is that porting a whole new client is pointless, as it would be a trivial feature to add to one of the many existing mplayer front-ends. Especially when porting that client will likely involve more work to port than starting from scratch and leverages exactly none of the thousands of hours already put into optimizing media playback on the NITs with mplayer. . . .

Really, just make it easy on yourself and play your videos from xterm with the command I gave you above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudhoney (Post 180605)
Also, of course, it can scale a high resolution video down on the fly. I do believe in some way mplayer can do the things you describe, the only problem is that it probably takes CPU time to do so just like it does to convert a high quality movie down to a lower quality on any PC.

The whole idea between lowres decoding is to reduce the CPU impact by decoding less than the full frame. ;) What you're thinking of is called reencoding, but all we need to do is decode a portion of the frame, not decode the whole frame then reencode it at a lower resolution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudhoney (Post 180605)
As far as porting TCPMP, the challenge there would be that it's made for Windows. Which of course makes the port work a lot more difficult than most other apps ported to Maemo. :(

Actually, the fact that it's written for Windows is probably the easiest hurdle to jump. The real challenge is that it's designed for very different hardware and doesn't have any optimizations for the NITs.

silvermain 2008-05-12 02:26

It was also writen for palm os so you should be able to use it with the garnet vm

ebrindle 2008-05-12 04:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvermain (Post 180619)
It was also writen for palm os so you should be able to use it with the garnet vm

I was just sitting on a plane earlier today wishing that TCPMP was on the NIT. It had a really great feature that was an audio boost- that could help me hear the dialog over the jet engines.

On a lifedrive which clocked at no more 300mhz playback was smooth on xvids that I download from the news groups. Even with my NIT running max (390ish) it still skipped here and there.

TCPMP went from opensource to pay about a year ago - and had most of the codecs..

I'll second the request... nothing as flashy as canola - but it worked well!

Benson 2008-05-12 04:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvermain (Post 180619)

Unfortunately, you can't, because gvm doesn't do ARM code.

ysss 2008-05-12 05:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebrindle (Post 180638)
I was just sitting on a plane earlier today wishing that TCPMP was on the NIT. It had a really great feature that was an audio boost- that could help me hear the dialog over the jet engines.

I hope you're talking about your personal jet engine. I'd hate to sit next to someone blasting their PMP\PDA\RIM\WTF next to me just so they can listen to the dialogues.

PS: Earphones.