maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] OS2008 Personal Launcher (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=21774)

fiferboy 2008-07-10 20:38

[Announce] OS2008 Personal Launcher

3 Attachment(s)
Not to be confused with "Personal Menu," Personal Launcher allows you to set up a configurable set of desktop icons to launch applications. It uses virtually the same method to add applications as "Personal Menu," meaning you can select installed applications or set up arbitrary ones at your discretion.

The big difference between this application and others like it is the transparency of OS2008 desktops!

This first version has a bug that will reload the desktop if you unselect "Personal Launcher" (self preservation?). This will be fixed in an upcoming release. Also, auto layout is pretty weak for this version. It just lays everything out in a horizontal line. Resizing is a bit tricky in this version as well, as there is no little handle to show you where to grab.

Please try it out and let me know of any issues or enhancement requests. Once stable enough, I will put this in the extras repo.

It is available at: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/personal-launch/

EDIT: Version 0.2 is now on my garage page. It is still not in extras because I am having trouble with the auto builder at the moment (they must have something set up more strict than I have it). Unfortunately, the desktop reset bug is still present. I will have to restructure my code to try to figure out what is going on (it happens every time on the tablet, and never in scratchbox, which makes it hard to debug).

Fixed in this version are: a little handle to show where to grab for resizing. Auto layout is much better, fitting the icons in the size you give them (it doesn't change the icon size from the one you selected, though, so you have to give them enough space). Along with the auto layout improvement, the icons will now change places as you resize the applet (as long as you have auto layout on) so you can see how they are going to end up.

Let me know if you find any other problems.

EDIT: Version 0.3 is out. If fixes the desktop reset on unload problem. It also adds an option to specify the spacing between icons. Get it from the garage page.

EDIT: Version 0.4 is out. This edition adds animation (which can be turned off) to show a selection has been made. The user can also select the transparency of the icons to blend more into the desktop. Backup/restore functionality has also been added. Finally, this version is in extras-devel for both chinook and diablo.

EDIT: Version 0.4-1 fixes the desktop crash. I had to redo the autobuilder scripts to get it in extras-devel and left out a very important part. Sorry for the inconvenience!

EDIT: Version 0.4-2 fixes a different desktop crash (at least, hopefully it does)! Also, the sluggish function of the opacity control bar has been corrected. Available in extras-devel

EDIT: Version 0.5-2 is now out and in extras. This version adds an icon, fixes some animation problems, fixes a desktop crash when running setup for the first time, and is the first release outside of extras-devel. Let me know if there are any problems this time around!

Sloan 2008-07-10 20:44

Re: [Announce] OS2008 Personal Launcher

Awesome, works great! Thanks!!

El Amir 2008-07-10 20:45

fiferboy, what would we without you? First the Statusbar clock, then Personal menu, countdown home, and yellow notes applet, and now this!

All I have to say is "You da man!" :D

GeneralAntilles 2008-07-10 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiferboy (Post 201459)
Please try it out and let me know of any issues or enhancement requests. Once stable enough, I will put this in the extras repo.

Rather than distributing the testing versions through Garage, why not make pushing updates much easier and do it through Extras-devel?

Sloan 2008-07-10 20:50

Newb question: Is there a command to launch a website? I tried just putting the html address in there but that didn't work.

El Amir 2008-07-10 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 201467)
Rather than distributing the testing versions through Garage, why not make pushing updates much easier and do it through Extras-devel?

Would make everybody's life easier I guess :p

flareup 2008-07-10 21:01

nice one man! looks exactly what i was asking for in your yellownotes thread, cheers!

munky261 2008-07-10 23:46

i hereby nominate fiferboy for ITT member of the year.... solved two probs in less than a week that ive been *****ing about for close to a year!!!! LOL

josiahg777 2008-07-11 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloan (Post 201470)
Newb question: Is there a command to launch a website? I tried just putting the html address in there but that didn't work.

try:
Code:

browser --url=<URL>
EDIT: whoops, messed up.

munky261 2008-07-11 00:40

wont work... i typed in browser www.myspace.com (exactly that) and got nothing but the home page