maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Development (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   portable maemo sdk? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=23520)

bongo 2008-09-10 22:28

portable maemo sdk?

Hi,

sometimes I use my laptop to develop apps and sometimes my desktop computer, both running with ubuntu. Now I want to move my work from one computer to the other. How would you solve this problem? My idea was an external drive and some vmware solution. Or maybe a subversion repo?

GeneralAntilles 2008-09-10 22:32

Re: portable maemo sdk?

Subversion hosted on a Garage project, perhaps?

bongo 2008-09-10 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 222843)
Subversion hosted on a Garage project, perhaps?

That's a good idea for real apps ;)
I ported dia to os2008 so maybe I will open this project on maemo garage. But what about experimenting (playing ;) ) with code? And if I install new libs to the sdk I have to do this on both systems.

Bundyo 2008-09-10 22:42

Use bazaar or any other distributed serverless SCC.

frethop 2008-09-10 22:46

I run my work back and forth between work and home sometimes. It works, but you need a large flash or hard drive. The newest VMware image (0.7) is almost 8GB and with a persistent drive space file, I'm often up over 10 GB. That takes a while to copy both ways; I end up using a portable HD.

Subversion would work for project storage. However, I often have settings I want to transfer -- Eclipse configs or the specific setup of supporting software. That could go into an SVN repo...I guess.

I'm rooting to a qemu image of a dev environment, like there is for VMware. I've heard rumblings that one is being worked on. That would be the closest to a portable SDK.

bongo 2008-09-10 22:48

I'm sorry but I updated my last post a few minutes later and extended the problem. How to take care of multiple sdks and synchronize them?

Bundyo 2008-09-10 22:51

I use Unison for large amounts of data, supports merging too. Never tried with scratchbox though (probably tricky with all those links).

bongo 2008-09-10 22:52

Man, I've to wait a few seconds before posting :D
You answer very fast.

@frethop
did you create your own image or did you download something?

TA-t3 2008-09-11 09:57

When I develop code on more than one computer I use 'git' (distributed version control) to synch them. I make each module a git repo.
Say I start with some Debian package and I unpack the source. Then I cd down into the top dir of the unpacked source and do
Code:

git init
git add .
git commit -m"Put version x.y of abcd under git"

Then I hack away. And I use 'git' (with git add, git commit etc.) to keep my work under version control. This even lets me import newer versions of what I started with and still keep my changes.

Then, when I want to work on the other (or third) computer:
Code:

git clone user@machine:path-to-where-the.git-dir-is
It only needs an ssh server installed.
Then I can hack away at the second computer. If I have instead done more work on the first computer I can just do (on the second computer):
Code:

git pull
If I do work on the second computer I must tell where to pull from when I pull back to the first one:
Code:

git pull user@machine:path-to-where-the.git-dir-is
And so on. Google for git documentation, there are good tutorials out there. I find it to be much faster, simpler and more flexible (and takes less space) than starting to mess about with SVN repositories and the like.

frethop 2008-09-11 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by bongo (Post 222854)
@frethop
did you create your own image or did you download something?

You can get a premade image from

http://maemovmware.garage.maemo.org/

It's got lots of goodies and is kept very current. The current version comes with Diablo, ESbox and Pluthon Eclipse plugins, Python, C++ bindings, PC connectivity and the latest Maemo software (to quote from the Web site).