maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Odd discovery regarding "The Cloud" WiFI and NIT. (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=27858)

ukjeeper 2009-03-26 14:35

Odd discovery regarding "The Cloud" WiFI and NIT.

Here in the UK (and parts of Europe) we have a Public WiFI network called The Cloud. Available as either a subscription, or free in some places provided you go through a login screen. Usually found in McDonalds and Public transportation areas (airports, train stations).

Anyway... I've used the free web before with my E90 (and PSP), and always have to go through the default start screen and provide a user name, email address, etc. But i tried it today with my NIT (MicroB), and no log in screen, just straight to the web. Any site in my favorites, plus uncached ones too. :confused:

Why would that be? Not that i mind, it is just strange that a WiFi provider just lets NIT's walk right in the front door without signing the visitors book. Perhaps they know a superior product when they see it... :D

UK/Euro Peeps, give it a try yourself. This happened at Waterloo Station, maybe it was just there that it works. I'd be curious.

eiffel 2009-03-26 17:15

Re: Odd discovery regarding "The Cloud" WiFI and NIT.

I've never seen a login screen when accessing free WiFi on an N800/N810 at McDonalds.

Regards,
Roger

allnameswereout 2009-03-26 19:02

Maybe it is supported by Devicescape's Easy WiFi. This program is ported to Maemo 4 for N8x0.

Check it out here http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/Sy...70-45978.shtml

(This is proprietary software. The folks behind Devicescape are also Linux kernel developers.)

munky261 2009-03-26 21:15

Im in the US and i get the login screen when at a mcdonald's.

Laughing Man 2009-03-26 21:46

The McDonalds (at least around Maryland)'s wifi is usually serviced by AT&T. (I get a login screen as well). But for a while if you masked as the iPhone it would work.

rkopper 2009-03-26 22:37

If you use boingo's portable device plan, ($7.95/month) you get mcdonalds wifi for free :) I use devicescape on my ipod touch and boingo's portable device plan for that too. For the money, it's easily the best offer out there.. Just my 2cents..

Capt'n Corrupt 2009-03-26 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkopper (Post 274927)
If you use boingo's portable device plan, ($7.95/month) you get mcdonalds wifi for free :) I use devicescape on my ipod touch and boingo's portable device plan for that too. For the money, it's easily the best offer out there.. Just my 2cents..

Just to add some info: Boingo Mobile supports the NIT directly, which is grrrreat considering the price and the many hot spot options. A potential downside is a proprietary download to get everything humming.

YARR!
}:^)~

Go Capt'n!

allnameswereout 2009-03-26 23:43

So it differs per McDs. FWIW, here T-Mobile has nation-wide hotspots at McDs. Connectivity is free if you have T-Mobile account. Not sure if this is for international T-Mobile accounts, or if you can sign up for it otherwise. I happen to know T-Mobile hotspots -at least here- have a website where you have to log in. They're probably included in Devicescape or similar applications.

munky261 2009-03-27 00:13

i get mcd's wifi for free as I am an att dsl subscriber.

Lord Raiden 2009-03-27 01:46

Around here if you go to McD's you get the login screen, however, you have to pony up some money in order to use the WiFi. It's not free. Now if you go to Dennys, there's is always free.