maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Most maemo apps are buttafaces (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36192)

joshua.maverick 2009-12-07 19:05

Most maemo apps are buttafaces

Are maemo apps restricted to having a flat black background, or can we use gradients or designs via pngs.

Also, can maemo apps use png designs as buttons or do they have to use the default maemo style?

Basically, I don't get why all these apps are buttafaces. Everything in the apps (the body) is great, but the ui (face).

epage 2009-12-07 19:15

Re: Most maemo apps are buttafaces

Custom looks are possible but my personal feeling is they should be the exception and not the norm. I might be biased because I like the default theme.

Klowner 2009-12-07 19:18

If I come across some spare time (and if I ever get my replacement N900) I'll probably make a few attempts at designing some UI themes, I'm assuming it's similar to regular GTK skinning.

NvyUs 2009-12-07 19:19

i think the whole look of some apps even default ones are very boring, most are just blocks with text in, we need nice shiny icons

rapante 2009-12-07 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by epage (Post 414997)
Custom looks are possible but my personal feeling is they should be the exception and not the norm. I might be biased because I like the default theme.

have to agree!

I like the "the simpler, the better" style of hildon, personally I don't like applications that try to get attention by adding tons of "bling" instead of focussing on the real deal - aka content.

but that's just my to cent's I always tend to like minimalistic stuff a lot more :)

joshua.maverick 2009-12-07 19:33

It can be minimalistic but not look terrible. Some of these apps are horrendous. IT doesn't need bling, just some basic clean design techniques.

rapante 2009-12-07 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshua.maverick (Post 415034)
It can be minimalistic but not look terrible. Some of these apps are horrendous. IT doesn't need bling, just some basic clean design techniques.

I work as a user interface designer for games for years and I really don't see your point?!

could you clarify for me if are you refering to the graphics itself that bother you, or are you talking about the basic layout and/or user interaction scheme the UI is based on.

I have to say there are some places where you can argue about the user interaction scheme in some apps (too many clicks needed to do stuff) but the actual theme itself IS clean and properly executed.

zfarooq 2009-12-07 19:56

i think the apps need to look much better, all of them are functional but very bleh...there should always be some extra effort to make it more user friendly, more appealing looks wise...instead of looking boring like most of them now. The underlying UI is awesome, but all the apps being created are just ordinary.

This is especially true if it is expected to compete with other platforms which are very innovative with their applications, its just more convenient and will attract more people + more fun to use which is the whole point.

joshua.maverick 2009-12-07 19:57

example 1:

http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter/

rapante 2009-12-07 20:15

still don't really get your point.

most of those apps are done by non industry professionals you have nearly no experience with user interface guidelines and/or proper execution of those guidelines.

instead of make a "why are you so ugly thread" you should contact the respective developer and offer your help in a friendly manner.

just saying "they look ugly wft?!" won't help any of us

don't get me wrong, there are a lot of third party apps that have the issues you have mentioned (I wasn't sure in the beginning if you're just talking baout the third party stuff available here at maemo.org or all apps including the native apps) but the way you are pointing fingers at people just won't help any of those developers here at maemo.

so if you really want to help, talk to them, offer your help, but don't go pointing fingers out in the public without really offering an insight why you think there is room for improvement