maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Reset autocomplete dictionary (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36986)

horus 2009-12-13 11:54

Reset autocomplete dictionary

Hi guys,

I was mulling around trying to workout how to remove my dictionary autocomplete words when I came accros this thread for the n810. So I tried to apply the same method for my n900 to remove the autocomplete dictionary. It took a bit of finding but this is the solution.

- Warning, Using X Terminal and the following commands can be dangerous and cause errors to your system. If you are unsure what you are doing Do Not Proceed -

1. Open X Terminal, type following. Note this IS case sensitive.
Code:

cd .osso/dictionaries
rm .used.dictionary
rm .personal.dictionary

2. After this goto Settings > Text Input > [Uncheck] Word Completion > Save
3. Then re-open Settings > Text Input > [Check] Word Completion > Save

For some reason the Conversation app seems to store the dictionary in a cache.

Hope that helps some of you out. Nokia in both generations of OS' now - Symbian and Maemo - havn't made a clear path for deleting auto-complete words. It's quite annoying..

Edit: Added the Settings uncheck/check.

dark335i 2009-12-18 17:56

Re: Reset autocomplete dictionary

Quote:

Originally Posted by horus (Post 425474)
Hi guys,

I was mulling around trying to workout how to remove my dictionary autocomplete words when I came accros this thread for the n810. So I tried to apply the same method for my n900 to remove the autocomplete dictionary. It took a bit of finding but this is the solution.

- Warning, Using X Terminal and the following commands can be dangerous and cause errors to your system. If you are unsure what you are doing Do Not Proceed -

Code:

cd .osso/dictionaries
rm .used.dictionary
rm .personal.dictionary

Hope that helps some of you out. Nokia in both generations of OS' now - Symbian and Maemo - havn't made a clear path for deleting auto-complete words. It's quite annoying..

do we hit enter after each line of code we enter?

fnordianslip 2009-12-18 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark335i (Post 433659)
do we hit enter after each line of code we enter?

Yes. <padding>

jessi3k3 2009-12-18 20:10

This removes the dictionary cache and not the dictionary itself correct?

RevdKathy 2009-12-18 20:19

Yep - in fact I seem to have removed some of it but not all of it. It has, at least, removed the bit that was mots annoying!

horus 2009-12-19 23:27

Jessi: Yes =]

Kathy: According to mars the personal is one time used words waiting for insertion. Used is like the full cache. Did you do the check/uncheck part Kathy?

dark335i 2009-12-20 05:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by horus (Post 425474)
Hi guys,

Code:

cd .osso/dictionaries
rm .used.dictionary
rm .personal.dictionary

Just did it now and it works, thank you VERY MUCH!!!! :D

jxwolf 2009-12-22 16:35

I noticed that my Yahoo! mail password was added to my .personal.dictionary file. I tried the steps outlined in this thread but the file was consistently recreated every time I re-enabled word completion. Needless to say, this is very disturbing behavior. I tried restarting the device, and the text string continues to be reinserted. I have since disabled text completion.

joelus 2009-12-29 09:27

Wow, I just discovered that my password for gtalk / gmail is presented as an autocomplete word - every time I press q (which is what my password starts with) it displays my entire password as an autocomplete option. I presume this is a bug. I'll try post my first bug report (if it isn't there already)...

Andre Klapper 2009-12-29 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelus (Post 444923)
Wow, I just discovered that my password for gtalk / gmail is presented as an autocomplete word - every time I press q (which is what my password starts with) it displays my entire password as an autocomplete option. I presume this is a bug. I'll try post my first bug report (if it isn't there already)...

This has been reported already :)