maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Capitalisation on swipe up (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40804)

dmcconachie 2010-01-15 23:55

Capitalisation on swipe up

Since installing 51.1 my virtual keyboard no longer capitalises letters if I swipe the letter up!

Had I unsuspectingly installed or set something which enabled it or was it removed in the new firmware for some reason?

Rob1n 2010-01-16 00:08

Re: Capitalisation on swipe up

It was removed in this firmware - I can't remember the exact reason though.

dmcconachie 2010-01-16 00:09

That's really disappointing. I really liked that feature as simple as it was!

benny1967 2010-01-16 00:17

The reason given was that it improves usability. ...

GeneralAntilles 2010-01-16 00:23

See bug #7391.

Cas07 2010-01-16 01:11

I was disappointed to hear they were removing this functionality. I can see their point however on new functionality for if you miss a letter then you can drag finger to new letter.
The issue would be fine if there was a shift key but it a 'caps lock' function that is really annoying. I have to click three times just to get a capital letter and return to lower case!

cpitchford 2010-01-16 01:42

Damn, I already miss this feature. It was great on the older tablets.. However, I do think it is potentially easier (or more accurate) to type quickly with the change in place.. If Nokia get round to making a multi-touch device, maybe it can be reinstated.. in perhaps a multitouch friendly manor!

Le_Petit_Lapin 2010-01-16 03:45

Why doesn't this phone automatically capitalise 'i's that are on their own out of interest? Bugs me no end.

kazuki 2010-01-16 04:03

i do seem to make less mistakes while typing after the update though. in the last version, i swear there r many times that i touched an "a" for example n the button blinked as in acknowledging that i pressed it but it still did not appear in what i typed. that problem seems to be fixed now while sacrificing swipe up for caps.

Inacurate 2010-01-16 04:08

As per the bug section of the site, this has been deemed the "way it should have been" basically.

I feel however that unless there was a reason to remove the functionality that this sort of advanced community can wrap their heads around, it is a silly "suit" decision that we would except an unimaginative company like Apple to make, with little regard to actual end-users. Unless enough of them whined, of course.

These sort of gestures would be HIGHLY useful for a portrait virtual keyboard. But wait, last I heard a virtual keyboard in portrait mode was not going to even be included, correct?

I didn't even know about these gestures and they would fit perfectly. The virtual keyboard is already decadent enough, please IMPROVE it's functionality, not hinder it.

Many times I want to tap on the screen for a quick message and not have to slide out the QWERTY, which also has it's small issues that need fixing.