maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Set a ringtone per contact? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40866)

mark-maemo 2010-01-16 12:55

Set a ringtone per contact?

Is it possible to set a ringtone different than the default ringtone for a contact? I'd like to have a distinctive ring for family.

ahmadka 2010-01-16 13:16

Re: Set N900 ringtone per contact?

Nope I don't think this is possible at this time ..

mark-maemo 2010-01-16 13:19

Thanks for the quick answer. Hopefully this is added in the future.

kwotski 2010-01-16 13:23

I wonder if a hacky way of doing this, as I suggested in this post: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...340#post456340 may work? I have neither the time nor python skills to try it myself, unfortunately

torpedo48 2010-01-16 13:25

I'm sure that someone will develop an app for doing that, hope to see it in Extras soon.

msa 2010-01-16 13:31

i wonder why this is not possible?! i'm thinking of this feature for years now, it feels so elemental.
technically this shouldnt be a problem at all. i mean, your phone does regocnize WHO is calling you when you have some on your contactlist, so playing a specific ringtone shouldnt be a problem.

torpedo48 2010-01-16 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by msa (Post 476128)
i wonder why this is not possible?! i'm thinking of this feature for years now, it feels so elemental.
technically this shouldnt be a problem at all. i mean, your phone does regocnize WHO is calling you when you have some on your contactlist, so playing a specific ringtone shouldnt be a problem.

In fact it is not a problem at all, but Nokia has chosen not to include that feature; we could write an approximately infinite list of basical and obvious features Nokia has not implemented in the N900 by default, such as MMS support, an FM Radio, voice recognition for calling and opening apps, selection of the video recording quality, some SIM services, etc... All these funcions were present (by default) even in the worst of the Symbian devices, but aren't actually in th flagship of Maemo devices. It was probably a time problem for Nokia, it had to quickly sell an iPhone rival and it let some minor apps to the Maemo.org community :)

fraaaaanka 2010-01-16 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by torpedo48 (Post 476159)
In fact it is not a problem at all, but Nokia has chosen not to include that feature; we could write an approximately infinite list of basical and obvious features Nokia has not implemented in the N900 by default, such as MMS support, an FM Radio, voice recognition for calling and opening apps, selection of the video recording quality, some SIM services, etc... All these funcions were present (by default) even in the worst of the Symbian devices, but aren't actually in th flagship of Maemo devices. It was probably a time problem for Nokia, it had to quickly sell an iPhone rival and it let some minor apps to the Maemo.org community :)

Surely the biggest difficulty came in creating the N900 as a hardware item and the OS system.
Once those two were created I would ahve imagined features such as ringtones per contact/FM Radio/proper call logging etc etc would be an easy thing to implement by a competent programmer?

torpedo48 2010-01-16 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraaaaanka (Post 476187)
Once those two were created I would ahve imagined features such as ringtones per contact/FM Radio/proper call logging etc etc would be an easy thing to implement by a competent programmer?

Yes, they are definitely easy things to implement by a competent Nokia programmer, but even the easiest software needs time. Time for developing, time for testing, etc... And time is what Nokia lacks of. Once those two things you have mentioned were created, Nokia's only thought was to imediately sell them, letting minor easy things to the future OR to Maemo.org community.

Slick 2010-01-16 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by torpedo48 (Post 476159)

part of me also feels that it's so they can give you updates .....with strings(thing you don't desire) attached to them.