maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Do you think the N900 will ever be finished? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41755)

Kingsley 2010-01-21 23:28

Do you think the N900 will ever be finished?

Before I start this thread, let me say I really want an N900, I think the idea of opensource on a phone is long over due.

And they're £350 now...

I've had an N82 and a touch diamond the last year, so'm up for a spot of flashing..

Anyway, to get to the point.. When the N900 launched and features were missing like voice dialing, video calling, MMS. etc people were all saying it would come in updates.

Now 1.1 is out now and having looked at the change log, it mostly seems to be fixes, so my question is, does anyone think it's likely that these features will ever make it to Maemo on the N900?

I've noticed there's a bit more of a feeling of disillusionment amoungs people following the update?

Will it ever be a good phone aswell as a mini computer?

---
Lol just been on the nokia site... or is this why they'll give you a free 1661 ir 1208 with it? :p

schettj 2010-01-21 23:38

Re: Do you think the N900 will ever be finished?

Wow. After a whole 2 months, you're ready to throw in the towel.

Do you think Microsoft Windows will ever be finished? I mean, it didn't even have a web browser for the first 10 years!

Ah man. This stuff is priceless.

Of course it will get better, and better, and even better.

Kingsley 2010-01-21 23:45

Lol it's not that i'm ready to throw in the towel.. just maybe need more convincing.. I'd quite look forward to having a bash at MBW-150 code..

skalogre 2010-01-21 23:54

Maybe I am biased due to working in software development but I don't think any software is ever technically finished (at least the way customers understand that word); the userbase dries up, it becomes obsolete - or the developers throw in the towel ;)

schettj 2010-01-21 23:55

Well, I can't convince you, but I'm fairly upbeat about the current state of maemo and the n900 and the prospects for the future. I've ridden the iPhone train since it pulled out of the station. This platform is much better even now then it was then, and is already evolving faster then the mighty fruitcake did.

But hey, you are in at the beginning. It's going to be ugly. It's going to be bloody. Animals will be harmed. Some of you may die... but its a risk I'm willing to take.

Seriously, this is a work in progress. It will be usable while its in progress, but it will be a bit rough for the short term.

Kingsley 2010-01-21 23:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by skalogre (Post 487857)
Maybe I am biased due to working in software development but I don't think any software is ever technically finished (at least the way customers understand that word); the userbase dries up, it becomes obsolete - or the developers throw in the towel ;)

Lol ok you're right... no website I ever worked on was finished.. and i'll admit with all the pizzas and late nights in the world never by launch!

go1dfish 2010-01-21 23:58

Software is never finished, unless it's very small and single purpose, or abandoned.

I hope the n900 is never finished, but I think you and I may have a different connotation to the word finished.

skalogre 2010-01-21 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingsley (Post 487860)
Lol ok you're right... no website I ever worked on was finished.. and i'll admit with all the pizzas and late nights in the world never by launch!

:D

I have been the cause of minor delays before on projects so, uhm, yes. I know.

groeit 2010-01-21 23:59

First updates will be to fix the phone, then they will add features.

benny1967 2010-01-22 09:25

will it ever be finished? no. such devices never are. my 2 year old phone still, after 3 or more firmware updates, has most of the bugs it had when i bought it... and i'll probably not receive yet another upgrade as it's too old now.

same with previous maemo devices... they never fixed all bugs before they abandoned them.

so i'm 100% sure that when nokia one day decides not to continue development for the N900, it will still leave much to be desired.

do i care?
not much. it's always been like that with consumer electronics devices. dvd players, cameras, phones,.... you buy them, you find they have annoying bugs and lack features, you live with it. then after a while you buy the next big thing hoping it will "fix" all the issues the old one had... and you're in the same situation as before, only you have to get used to new bugs and new shortcomings.

it's normal.