maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Development (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Web Tracking/Anti theft/loss Tool (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=51027)

benh_n900 2010-04-25 22:08

Web Tracking/Anti theft/loss Tool

Hi all,

I have been following with interest the various anti-theft/find my device threads and decided to put together a web application to help with this.

At the moment the service is in beta state and is password protected to keep the masses and bots out. The username/password is developer/maemo for anyone who wants to have a play.

As such, I present http://www.whereismydevice.com which is a free service to aid with phone theft/loss applications.

I have already spoken to rachol who is looking at using it for the I am here application.

Please feel free to use this tracking service for any application that you are developing.

Included on the site are the rather messy scripts that I have put together to make my n900 do what I want. If anybody wants to tidy/package this up, please feel free - i don't think it's gonna be too complicated for someone who has done it before. n900 development is a challenge I will take on in the future when I have some spare time!

A quick summary of how I have the web service working with my n900

Whenever the n900 network is started (from if-up), a call is made to the web server to check for actions.

Depending on the response from the web, one of the following actions is taken;

1. Report Location
2. Report Location every 15 minutes
3. Send SMS to [number]
4. Setup reverse SSH (note: requires your own server)

In addition, an email is sent on any contact (optional), on IMSI change and on an incorrect password attempt from the device.

This is useful if the phone is lost/stolen. If the phone connects to the internet, even with a new sim (but not after reflash), then I get contacted and I can log into the phone as root from where I am.

Suggestions/comments are welcome.

Cheers,

Ben

eitama 2010-04-25 23:40

Re: Web Tracking/Anti theft/loss Tool

Quote:

Originally Posted by benh_n900 (Post 627494)
Hi all,

I have been following with interest the various anti-theft/find my device threads and decided to put together a web application to help with this.

At the moment the service is in beta state and is password protected to keep the masses and bots out. The username/password is developer/maemo for anyone who wants to have a play.

As such, I present http://tracking.isgreat.org which is a free service to aid with phone theft/loss applications.

I have already spoken to rachol who is looking at using it for the I am here application.

Please feel free to use this tracking service for any application that you are developing.

Included on the site are the rather messy scripts that I have put together to make my n900 do what I want. If anybody wants to tidy/package this up, please feel free - i don't think it's gonna be too complicated for someone who has done it before. n900 development is a challenge I will take on in the future when I have some spare time!

A quick summary of how I have the web service working with my n900

Whenever the n900 network is started (from if-up), a call is made to the web server to check for actions.

Depending on the response from the web, one of the following actions is taken;

1. Report Location
2. Report Location every 15 minutes
3. Send SMS to [number]
4. Setup reverse SSH (note: requires your own server)

In addition, an email is sent on any contact (optional), on IMSI change and on an incorrect password attempt from the device.

This is useful if the phone is lost/stolen. If the phone connects to the internet, even with a new sim (but not after reflash), then I get contacted and I can log into the phone as root from where I am.

Suggestions/comments are welcome.

Cheers,

Ben

This is very nice, I'd like to know what kind of battery stamp this has on the device on daily basis. With "I am here" i assumed it's event based and therefore minimal on battery. Is this also like that?

benh_n900 2010-04-25 23:58

It depends of course on what options you choose.

In normal running mode, when your phone is "in your hand", it only makes one wget call when the network is started, using the scripts I am using, so it should be minimal battery usage

In tracking mode, when you are trying to retrieve your phone, it varies - reverse ssh will be more battery hungry than reporting the location.

Also I am really just providing the service to log and alert - the part that might take up battery is more in the scripts on the device, of which mine may well not be optimised, but they are simple scripts, so feel free to play with them and let me know of better versions - I will update the website with improvements.

Cheers,

Ben

x61 2010-04-26 01:53

benh can you double check because the site won't allow you to register...

benh_n900 2010-04-26 06:57

It seems ok to me - what trouble specifically are you having?

Ben

peyob 2010-04-27 05:53

When I try to register the login window comes and then nothing run.
When I click "cancel" this message comes:
"Authorization Required

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required."

benh_n900 2010-04-27 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by peyob (Post 629323)
When I try to register the login window comes and then nothing run.
When I click "cancel" this message comes:
"Authorization Required

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required."

Do you login with the username and password from the original post?

peyob 2010-04-27 08:50

username and password from the original post?
Sorry I don't see where!

AlMehdi 2010-04-27 09:11

peyob:

The sixth row says "The username/password is developer/maemo"

peyob 2010-04-27 09:53

Thank you AlMehdi