maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   do I need the phone/sprint data to use the wireless on the n900? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56311)

extendedping 2010-06-16 03:17

do I need the phone/sprint data to use the wireless on the n900?

I ask because me wife is away for a month and this would be the ideal time for me to try to score one on ebay (just saw one go for $312 a few minutes ago so they are coming into my target zone). thing is I would be using my regular sprint phone for at least a month and thus would really only use it at home with my wireless or in a starbucks or something in the meantime...so would that work or does the phone have to have a sim card to work. also would I be able to get the 1.2 update via wireless or do you need to do that through the spring network or something. sorry for the dumb questions but I have never owned a smart phone before...thanks...

ppriyank 2010-06-16 03:20

Re: do I need the phone/sprint data to use the wireless no the n900

Quote:

Originally Posted by extendedping (Post 716961)
I ask because me wife is away for a month and this would be the ideal time for me to try to score one on ebay (just saw one go for $312 a few minutes ago so they are coming into my target zone). thing is I would be using my regular sprint phone for at least a month and thus would really only use it at home with my wireless or in a starbucks or something in the meantime...so would that work or does the phone have to have a sim card to work. also would I be able to get the 1.2 update via wireless or do you need to do that through the spring network or something. sorry for the dumb questions but I have never owned a smart phone before...thanks...

GO FOR IT AND GET IT, you do NOT need a sim card for the phone to work, and will be ABLE to use the wireless anywhere, anytime!!!

EDIT: P.S you will be able to upgrade to 1.2 via wifi, so ur good to go in that regards as well :)

extendedping 2010-06-16 03:23

thanks, so I will have a little laptop till I get the sim card, which I assume is what gives both the phone and the sprint data capabilities.

wmarone 2010-06-16 03:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by extendedping (Post 716965)
thanks, so I will have a little laptop till I get the sim card, which I assume is what gives both the phone and the sprint data capabilities.

Clarification here, since this thread made a nice mess of things:

Sprint uses CDMA, which the N900 is not compatible with. You can only use the N900 on AT&T and T-Mobile in the US.

The device will function without a sim card, but you will not be able to make or receive non-emergency calls, nor will you be able to use cellular data unless you tether it. You will have wifi, as the above poster mentioned, however.

extendedping 2010-06-16 03:38

Re: do I need the phone/tmobile data to use the wireless no the n900

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmarone (Post 716969)
Clarification here, since this thread made a nice mess of things:

Sprint uses CDMA, which the N900 is not compatible with. You can only use the N900 on AT&T and T-Mobile in the US.

The device will function without a sim card, but you will not be able to make or receive non-emergency calls, nor will you be able to use data unless you tether it.

ah I should have been clearer...I am on sprint but would move to tmobile (after breaking it to my wife that I snuck the phone behind her back) after she is back from europe in 5 weeks. I see I put sprint data in the title, oops should be tmobile let me fix that...

If I told her my plans now, she might not come back...

so I would use my "dumb" lg phone which only has voice, while learning linux on the n900 should I buy it, for the next few weeks, then switch...

wmarone 2010-06-16 03:51

Re: do I need the phone/tmobile data to use the wireless no the n900

Quote:

Originally Posted by extendedping (Post 716972)
ah I should have been clearer...I am on sprint but would move to tmobile (after breaking it to my wife that I snuck the phone behind her back) after she is back from europe in 5 weeks. I see I put sprint data in the title, oops should be tmobile let me fix that...

If I told her my plans now, she might not come back...

so I would use my "dumb" lg phone which only has voice, while learning linux on the n900 should I buy it, for the next few weeks, then switch...

Quite the naughty one, aren't you :p

But yeah, sounds like you've got it sorted out.

geneven 2010-06-16 04:25

Re: do I need the phone/sprint data to use the wireless on the n900?

Quote:

Originally Posted by extendedping (Post 716961)

I just read an article saying that Starbucks will be offering free wireless for all starting July 1, so that's another argument for you getting an N900.