maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [REQUEST] Web pages as wallpapers? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=70824)

TiagoTiago 2011-03-08 17:26

[REQUEST] Web pages as wallpapers?

I would like a way to be able to use regular web pages (local and online) as "wallpapers", including support for javascript, flash etc, and with an engine at least as up to date as microB's in regards to HTML5, CSS3 etc. Preferably done in such a way that no battery power is wasted and programs, at least while desktop isn't focused, won't be lagged by it being there.

ps: if it already exists, please let me know.

TiagoTiago 2011-03-08 17:51

Re: [REQUEST] Web pages as wallpapers?

Btw, vertical scrolling should be allowed, though horizontal must be repressed (preferably attempting to properlly render the page with max width exactly 800 pixels)

Also, it would be good to have a button in the status bar menu and a command terminal (so it can be called from a beecon) to switch to cursor mode (like dragging from the left and clicking on the arrow button in microB) for marking text and other interactions involving clicking and dragging.

Bratag 2011-03-08 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago (Post 963323)
I would like a way to be able to use regular web pages (local and online) as "wallpapers", including support for javascript, flash etc, and with an engine at least as up to date as microB's in regards to HTML5, CSS3 etc. Preferably done in such a way that no battery power is wasted and programs, at least while desktop isn't focused, won't be lagged by it being there.

ps: if it already exists, please let me know.

Well thankfully you don't want much. Perhaps you should expand the requirements list to include.

Make me money
Enlarge my unit.
Increase my sex drive
Balance my checkbook.

Seriously man. Grab some perspective.

TiagoTiago 2011-03-08 18:37

There is already Flash, video files and some other things, even desktop screensavers and some games, using Live Wallpaper, why not a trimmed down webbrowser?

sethkha 2011-03-08 18:39

where is the difference to using microb?

TiagoTiago 2011-03-08 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by sethkha (Post 963359)
where is the difference to using microb?

microB doesn't stay in the desktop behind my widgets for one

Bratag 2011-03-08 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago (Post 963357)
There is already Flash, video files and some other things, even desktop screensavers and some games, using Live Wallpaper, why not a trimmed down webbrowser?

Yes there is - and all of them increase the cpu/battery consumption. So thats strike one against your requirements.

I guess potentially you could have a widget that uses the qtwebkit and fills the entire screen but then which one gets priority when doing desktop actions.

This kind of thing always gets ugly.

TiagoTiago 2011-03-08 18:49

I know an active wallpaper consumes more than an static one, i'm just asking that it doesn't keep doing things when i'm not looking at it.

jedi 2011-03-08 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago (Post 963360)
microB doesn't stay in the desktop behind my widgets for one

Why would you want a web page obscured by widgets?

Reffyyyy 2011-03-08 19:02

This guy has a new request every week.

Anyway, I believe it is entirely possible using quick widgets and WebView.

I don't think vertical scrolling is likely, however.