maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   How to start up the Personal Dataplan Monitor? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=73867)

bioman 2011-06-09 05:33

How to start up the Personal Dataplan Monitor?

Funny problem: I downloaded the Personal Dataplan Monitor app, but now I can't find it anywhere. It doesn't list as a Widget if I want to add it to a desktop, it is not under settings, I just can't find it.

I un-installed it and re-installed it, I restarted my phone, I looked everywhere, and feel really stupid.

It's there: I see it when I list all apps under the App Man, but how to start it? Is there a way to manually start it up (X Terminal)?

nicholes 2011-06-09 06:26

Re: How to start up the Personal Dataplan Monitor?

did you try a restart???

figaro 2011-06-09 06:54

can you find these files in your device?

/usr/share/applications/hildon-home/personal-gprs-mon.desktop
/usr/lib/hildon-desktop/personal-gprs-mon.so

bioman 2011-06-09 07:19

Sorry for being a complete nitwit, but how/where can I see if these files are there?

(and yes: I tried a restart)

figaro 2011-06-09 13:09

that's ok :)

if you have filebox installed, you can use it to navigate your file system, just like what you do with windows explorer on your windows pc
or you can try running x-terminal and type

ls /usr/share/applications/hildon-home/personal-gprs-mon.desktop

to see if the specified file exists or not. if it doesn't, it'll report an error

there are other ways to check if file exists or not using x-term (ie. "file" command), but i guess "ls" would suffice

bioman 2011-06-10 03:25

I installed Filebox (great app!) and found both files. The Pers Data Mon app should really be listed in the "add widget"-option of the Desktop menu, isn't it?

I don't get it. I guess I just have to use the internal option (Settings-Phone-Network-Home network data counter) to see the amount of data down/uploaded.

Thanks!

figaro 2011-06-10 04:15

yup, it should be available from add-widget option

well i can't think of any other solutions. but maybe, just maybe, you've somehow have added it to your desktop (it wont be listed in add-widget once you've put it to your desktop) but in different desktop?
i mean if you've installed some tools that can save/restore your desktop setting (i forget the name) and it has been shown in one of your saved desktop, so it probably won't shown again

dtparikh 2011-06-10 04:20

Seems like there was some issue when you had installed it.
I would suggest you to uninstall the app. After restarting your N900 try to install it again. This time you should see it in the add widget option.

bioman 2011-06-10 04:37

Re: How to start up the Personal Dataplan Monitor? -SOLVED

OK!! SOLVED!! So it was added to a Desktop, but hiding behind my contacts! Thanks Figaro, for your remark that I may have added it already and that was why it wasn't visible in the Add-widget list. I feel stupid but I guess that can happen to anybody. :)

Thanks all for helping me. Very much appreciated!!

(BTW: I never put it on my desktop, so how it ended up there I may never know...)

figaro 2011-06-10 05:37

glad to help :)